Anyone familiar with this scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone familiar with this scope?

I'm wanting to make an upgrade on my son's .243 from the factory scope to something just a little nicer. I don't want to drop a bunch of coin on it but he shot another gun with a better scope and really liked the experience. His shots will be under 200 yards, with most of them 75-100 yards.
    Would this scope be a good one to get, since it is on sale?
    Rogers Sporting Goods, founded in 1980, is a family-owned store that offers the best in waterfowl, hunting, shooting and outdoor gear. Browse the vast selection of everything you need to enjoy the great outdoors.

If not, any other ideas on the cheap?

The best value for a scope being used for 200 yards and in without LOTS of magnification is going to be the Leupold VX-1. The VX1 has been discontinued in favor of the "Freedom" which I have no experience with. I have two VX1s and I will never get rid of them.

If you look around you can still find the 3x9 and 4x12 VX1 and they'll be under $200, totally bombproof (I have one each on my slug gun and muzzleloader). The glass is really good, reticle is sharp, warranty and company are great if you need it.

Comment

Academy has it for 99.oo

Comment

Not a bad scope but there are better options for a little more. The Leupold Freedom would get my vote or a used vx, they are just a little clearer and have better tracking. I would not get anything with a BDC reticle for a youth shooting 200 yards or less, it is just too busy with all of the aiming points. Just zero the rifle for 200 yards and let them hold dead on.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
          What my son liked about the other scope is "it looked like I was right next to the pig", which was 125 yards away.

Comment

If you want to keep it around $100-$140, go with a used Redfield Revolution. Made by Leupold in the USA with forever warranty. I have several, maybe a hair less nice than a VX-1, but I don't think you can do any better in that price range.

Comment

Not sure which model that is, but I have had good luck with Nikon scopes.

Comment

For kids, I like a fixed power 4X or 6X. Too many knobs and buttons, it seems like they are always on too much magnification. Good glass is hard to find in those. Reticle should be dualX or German tapered post. Easy to locate, not too busy, so the confusion in a high stress moment in minimized.

Comment

yes it would be a good choice,, it will not be hard for a kid to use it,,, young minds work plenty fast especially if you explain the extra rings in the scope

Comment

I have one on my AR that I carry daily in my truck. Never had an issue with it and it gets abused at times, dropped it out of a UTV running 25-30 down rock road once I prefer it over my Vortex I have on another AR.

Comment

Another fan of finding a good used leupold in your price range.

I think a good vari-x ii in a 4-12x40 should easily found & is a little nicer than the 3-9 & looks like he appreciates the extra magnification. They also hold their value well should you decide to upgrade again later. Just remind/teach him to turn that power back down after looking at something cranked up. Great opportunity to share losing your 'field of view'.

Comment

With Nikon exiting the scope business I assume you’ll find plenty clearanced out in the coming months. To your question, for a $100 scope it’s ok. It’ll serve you well, be clear enough and hold zero.

Comment

I have always liked Nikon glass. Don't have this particular model, but I am happy with my nikon scope.

Comment

Look at this one also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X