Colorado/ New Mexico summer trip help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado/ New Mexico summer trip help

I’m looking for idea on a college graduation trip ( Gig Em May 2020 ) for my son and I. Looking for cabin or pack camp type place to stay so we can fish , hike , sight see. Never been up that way and not prepared to DIY on this trip. Maybe next time , but for now would like to have something already set up with the basics . Not looking for five star type , just decent place to hang out at night and explore in the day .

Thank you ,
    Dale

Dream stream in Colorado would be perfect. You can pack the 7 mile stream in a couple of days.

Comment

How about a back country yurt in Colorado? Some can be quite nice.
      Or a FS cabin : https://oriconline.org/where_to_stay...rts_cabins.htm

Comment

Look up blue creek lodge out of southfork

Comment

I’ll check these out !

Comment

Check out Platoro Reservoir in southern Colorado. It is a remote lake with some rentable cabins and a restaurant and that's about it. Here is a thread where it was discussed some:

Comment

I've always wanted to stay at the 10th Mountain Division huts, there is some pretty cool history with them. AND most importantly, no people around.

http://www.huts.org/

Comment

Look up The Colorado Angler in Silverthorne. We used them as a float trip guide and it was an awesome trip. They gave us additional area info also. Stayed in Breck area in VRBO and hiked all around the area within 45 miles or so. Even hit up one side of RMNP. Found some hidden lakes to hike to and fish also from All Trails app. No preplanning besides house and guided trip.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  How about a back country yurt in Colorado? Some can be quite nice.
                  Or a FS cabin : https://oriconline.org/where_to_stay...rts_cabins.htm
                  I’m a big fan of the forest service cabins. Remote, and no amenities such as wi-fi, cable, etc. They make excellent lodging for guys trips, but I’ll get a bit nicer cabin when the women come along.

Comment

Some can be quite nice, we stayed in one with heat, running water and indoor bathroom with a shower. Had a full kitchen with a frig and propane and wood burning stove.
                    I had no issues staying in it for a few days.

Southfork used to have some nice cabins with good fishing nearby.
                    I would look into a guided fishing trip for a day as well where ever you go.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      Some can be quite nice, we stayed in one with heat, running water and indoor bathroom with a shower. Had a full kitchen with a frig and propane and wood burning stove.
                      I had no issues staying in it for a few days.

Southfork used to have some nice cabins with good fishing nearby.
                      I would look into a guided fishing trip for a day as well where ever you go.
                      I’ve stayed in one similar. Gas stove, gas fridge, gas lamps, and wood stove with running water and a bathroom. That’s more my style for an extended trip. I don’t mind roughing it for 4-5 days at a time, but the 7 day mark is where I start appreciating the shower and bathroom.

Comment

There’s a member here who has a little place in CO that would probably be happy to help you out. I’ll see if I can find his screen name.

Comment

Tradslam

Comment

Check out Samuelson Outfitters. They will pack you in on horseback to a wall tent in the middle of the rocky mountains. Its beautiful remote and a great set up.

Comment

I will highly second getting fixed up with the guys at the Colorado Angler out of Dillon/Silverthorne. We've fished with them on the float trips for about 9 years now and they are top notch. However, I would also second hitting the Blue Creek cabins near South Fork(actually in Wagon Wheel Gap). Sits right on the Rio Grande which is all prime fishing. Lots of water from there north to the headwaters of the Rio that are excellent and beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                              X