Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caalexander4 View Post
    I dont think ebikes will change the game so I am not opposed to them. Most of the ones that are marketed to hunters are way more than guys are willing to pay.
    I'm with you on that - BTW you can get a conversion kit on amazon for around 300-400 dollars. I might be looking into this in about 5 years haha - got drawn on the 2nd drawing good luck to all!

Comment

Has anyone tried or heard about using this

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017574811?pid=594451

Comment

The Laguna Master called me.
        He got 2nd draw. He won't tell me what dates [emoji6]
        I think thats 20 consecutive years the GOAT has hunted Laguna!!

I'm going to challenge him. The one with his name the most on the chalkboard will take the BELT!

LAGUNA MASTER 20 & 0
        GBludau 2 & 0
        [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think anyone over 60 should be able to use a hover round, mobility scooter or ebike. BTW I qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
            I think anyone over 60 should be able to use a hover round, mobility scooter or ebike. BTW I qualify.
            Yep. Load up the hover round. I got my emergency pendant in case I fall and can't get up. Just shift that thing into three wheel drive and head out. If we seal the bearings, battery and engine, I can just drive it out in the marsh and hunt ducks on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
              Yep. Load up the hover round. I got my emergency pendant in case I fall and can't get up. Just shift that thing into three wheel drive and head out. If we seal the bearings, battery and engine, I can just drive it out in the marsh and hunt ducks on it.
              Like the way you think. Rule change all those under 59 years have to be bare footed and wear shorts above the knee and no snake proof equipment. Think that about covers it.

Comment

Like the way you think. Rule change all those under 59 years have to be bare footed and wear shorts above the knee and no snake proof equipment. Think that about covers it.
                All BS aside this is the same argument isn't much different than the recurve/long bow hunters had about compound bows been my an unfair advantage many years ago or recent crossbow hunting for everyone. Ebikes are just another tool. It all works out. I do enjoy reading about the competition between GBludau, txoutdoorsman24 and others on here. I'm not in the Archery hunt but do apply for firearm hunts down one the valley.

Comment

I definitely will consider them for the mountains. I'm trying to hold off on the flatland out of pride. But I have looked at them closely. I do reserve the right to complain about them until I get one, though.

Your right, it is the same type of argument. On the scale of effort, E-bikes are a step up from a UTV or ATV. I don't have one of those either but I wouldn't turn one down on principle.

Also, if those under 59 are real hunters, they'd hunt barefoot with a homemade longbow. That's the we did it back in the day. We didn't even take arrows, We would fashion them out of whatever we could find. If we couldn't find anything we'd just run them until the collapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                    The Laguna Master called me.
                    He got 2nd draw. He won't tell me what dates [emoji6]
                    I think thats 20 consecutive years the GOAT has hunted Laguna!!

I'm going to challenge him. The one with his name the most on the chalkboard will take the BELT!

LAGUNA MASTER 20 & 0
                    GBludau 2 & 0
                    [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Waiting for odds before placing bets. This will be interesting.

Comment

All BS aside this is the same argument isn't much different than the recurve/long bow hunters had about compound bows been my an unfair advantage many years ago or recent crossbow hunting for everyone. Ebikes are just another tool. It all works out. I do enjoy reading about the competition between GBludau, txoutdoorsman24 and others on here. I'm not in the Archery hunt but do apply for firearm hunts down one the valley.
                      Hahaha. That GBludau guy is a character!!! Unfortunately he’s kickin my arse at laguna. 3 kills to my zero.

But I did here he’s ghey

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                        With an e-bike, Laguna becomes a tiny place.
                        Must have missed this comment but I couldnt disagree more and have experience to back it up. I used my ebike out there in 2017 (same trip I met you on) and only got two good days of hunting in due to tire problems. Even with the two good days I got in I only covered a very small portion of the refuge. With more than 90k acres, even with an atv it would take more than a week to learn the place well. Riding is not the same as scouting.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                          Must have missed this comment but I couldnt disagree more and have experience to back it up. I used my ebike out there in 2017 (same trip I met you on) and only got two good days of hunting in due to tire problems. Even with the two good days I got in I only covered a very small portion of the refuge. With more than 90k acres, even with an atv it would take more than a week to learn the place well. Riding is not the same as scouting.
                          You had an E-Bike then!?!? I had no clue. Your bike didn’t look like it to me.

I guess my comment was more meant at distances than actual size. Riding back into unit 1 is 20-25 minutes and back to unit 3 is minimum 30 minutes with out a trailer to just across the bridge. I have no knowledge of e-bikes so I truly can’t say if they help or not but I think it would make those long distance rides a while lot easier.
                          Now the tire problems would make any bike useless and the hunt a million times more frustrating.

Comment

Hey all,
                            apparently i don't have enough posts to start a thread to properly introduce myself. We live in central Tx, have been in Texas for 20 years now. Have five sons that hunt with me and two daughters that don't ;-). Lots of kids sports going on so sometimes hard to get them out in the field... high school, middle school and pop warner football right now for our three youngest.

Now to the point - I and two sons got drawn for LANWR on the Nov 15-19 hunt. I've hunted there once before, and have found the accommodations are difficult.. we stayed in Los Fresnos last time in a dive of a place that took a solid 55 min to get to. This time, i was planning to camp at Thomae park but from what i gather they just stack the tents right up next to each other so that'll be a snorefest... and it's not very close to the allowed entrance anyways.

So we have rented a 2BR/2BA condo in Laguna Vista and will have an extra bedroom and a bathroom available that I'd like to rent out. Both to split the costs and meet some like minded TBH folks. This will be a quiet place to rest up for the next day's adventures, not a party pad, so ideally we're looking for someone who's even more serious about the hunt than we are. There's a grill and what looks like a decent kitchen. I believe based on my all-in costs 1/2 would be roughly $275 for checkin 14th and checkout 19th. Based on google maps it's less than 20 minutes to the Refuge entrance.

Shoot me a PM if interested and i can provide more details. Meanwhile i'll try to figure out how to find my PMs I'd like to get this nailed down by end of month. Thanks

Comment

Well ladies and gents I got lucky and drew the first weekend on the second draw!!!
                              Now, that’s the ONLY weekend all year I have something planned. What’s everyone’s experience with the mandatory orientation if you can’t be there for it? Will they let you do it when you get there say on Saturday evening?

Comment

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
                                Well ladies and gents I got lucky and drew the first weekend on the second draw!!!
                                Now, that’s the ONLY weekend all year I have something planned. What’s everyone’s experience with the mandatory orientation if you can’t be there for it? Will they let you do it when you get there say on Saturday evening?
                                I don’t remember anyone getting a different orientation time. Best to call now and ask before you pay for the permits. If you haven’t already.

Comment

Working...
                                X