Rocky Mountain National Park - Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey ya'll, I'm headed out to Rocky Mountain National Park in about 3 weeks on a short vacation. Should have about 3 days in the park I think, so I'm curious if anyone has any recommended spots that are "must see" for a photographer. I have a pretty good idea where some of the main attractions are so to speak, but hoping for some insight on which places are good/bad for sunsets and sunrises, and which spots tend to hold more wildlife etc.

Any help from the green screen is always much appreciated!

We snowmobiled through the park this past winter, lots of beautiful scenery and animals... have fun!

Comment

Which side of the park? Assuming Estes Park?

-Go up to the tundra and the views are pretty neat and simply driving around will put you in a handful of great spots.
      -The valley on the west side of the park towards Grand Lake is pretty neat.
      -You should be able to find a bunch of elk in Moraine Park and further up as you head towards Bear Lake. There is a massive 6x6 that should be in and out of that area. You will know him when you see him lol
      -Check out Bear Lake and dont hesitate to hike to Emerald Lake either.

-Also going back to elk and mulies they are all around the outskirts of the park near town on the park side especially in the mornings and evenings.

Unfortunately be careful while taking photos of the elk. Not because I think you are lacking common sense but because other people (especially Asian tourist) are absolutely idiots. I almost got gored by the top elk because a idiot came full blown sprinting towards the elk to get infront of me to take his own photos....

Have fun

Last edited by 150class; 07-25-2019, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Wow! Great shots. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that bull. I'm hoping we might be up there right around the time they are shedding velvet. Would be awesome to find that 6x6 with velvet coming off!

Comment

And yes, we'll be based in Estes Park but traveling all around. I'll check out some of the spots you mentioned as well. Good tips, and yes being careful around idiots with cell phones is definitely necessary lol. We were in Yellowstone last year and saw someone get about run over by a big bull when they got between him and his cows.

Comment

Hike up to the Loch via Alberta falls, one of the most beautiful trails I have been on anywhere. If you want to go further, keep heading up to sky pond.

Keep the info coming on wildlife, I plan on going back in September for the elk rut.

Comment

I'll keep you posted on where we find em. Really hoping to find a bull moose if possible. Never could find a bull in yellowstone or grand Teton, but it sounds like they are occasionally spotted on the west side of rmnp.

Comment

Don't feed the Buffaloes

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                  I'll keep you posted on where we find em. Really hoping to find a bull moose if possible. Never could find a bull in yellowstone or grand Teton, but it sounds like they are occasionally spotted on the west side of rmnp.
                  Thanks, I would greatly appreciate it.

The west side of RMNP along the Colorado river is where the moose are but it's tough picture opportunities. I had better luck along the Horseshoe river across from the Alluvial fan. Yellowstone is terrible for moose, I've seen 3 total in numerous trips over the last 20 years. Grand Teton has never been a bust though. Best places there are the north section of Moose Wilson Road, along the Gros Ventre river, the Oxbow, and west of Jackson Lake lodge.

Comment

Thanks for the tips ya'll. Wheels up tomorrow morning, can't wait!

Comment

I hiked up to the summit of Mt. Ida. Saw this big bull elk on the way down.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPJYiQMtuXU"]Big Elk - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
                        I hiked up to the summit of Mt. Ida. Saw this big bull elk on the way down.

Big Elk - YouTube

That's awesome! great vid

Comment

Good couple of days so far! Photographed a stud mule deer buck yesterday evening, and hiked up to Dream lake before dawn this morning to catch the sunrise. Icing on the cake was running across a giant bull who was shedding velvet on the way out of the park! Pics to come.

Comment

Good couple of days so far! Photographed a stud mule deer buck yesterday evening, and hiked up to Dream lake before dawn this morning to catch the sunrise. Icing on the cake was running across a giant bull who was shedding velvet on the way out of the park! Pics to come.
                            Can't wait to see them! I was there last year around this time, but didn't have much for camera equipment yet so didn't get any great pics. I am dying to go back.

Comment

Awesome!

Also if you go to the back of Moraine Park there’s a few ponds that a couple moose will sometimes hangout at

Comment

Working...
                              X