Lyfe Tyme Smoker Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lyfe Tyme Smoker Mods

Does anyone have a lyfetyme that they have made modifications where the fire box goes into the cooking chamber? The one I have had a large opening and I fight constantly with the heat. Plus I lose about 12” of cooking area because of the heat coming out.

I was thinking of extending the heat deflector down more and adding a tuning plate or plates. It’s a 16”x40” and I can have a 20-30° heat difference from the stack end to the fire box end. See pics for what I’m talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is a big hole. You could put a rotating baffle in it, or just have a piece of about 1/4" plate cut and put in bottom of cooking chamber to help diffuse it, you would not even have to weld it, just sit in place. that would be easier

Comment

I just acquired one of those a few months ago and I know what you're talking about. I plan on doing what Rick stated above and get a piece of plate cut and lay in the bottom. Mine has the upright smoking chamber on the other end so I've been cooking in that part with no issues.

Comment

So should I extend the deflector down more and then put a piece of plate? Because if you put a piece of plate at the deflector it’s about 2” below the cooking grate. Or get a piece of plate that sits up above the bottom of the opening to cut the opening in half that way?

Comment

I plan on extending the deflector down a bit to cut that opening in half or put a damper in that hole.

Comment

Yeah I’m looking to see what it would take to put and adjustable dampener or butterfly type baffle. I’ve had this thing for years and I’m tired of cussing at it all day

Comment

I usually set a water pan on top of the cooking grate and use it to diffuse the heat and add moisture while I’m cooking. You do lose some cooking area, but I’ve never had to cook more than one brisket or 2 butts at a time.

I will say these pits are great! The place in Uvalde makes them for a lot of stores and they are sold under different names.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
                I usually set a water pan on top of the cooking grate and use it to diffuse the heat and add moisture while I’m cooking. You do lose some cooking area, but I’ve never had to cook more than one brisket or 2 butts at a time.

I will say these pits are great! The place in Uvalde makes them for a lot of stores and they are sold under different names.

Jason Slocum

That sound like a good idea. Great pit no doubt and will out last me. I’m doing some ribs right now and made some adjustments to the amount of wood/coals and I haven’t cussed near as much.
                My dad just got an Old Country and it just cadillacs along. But the opening to the chamber is way smaller and adjustable

Comment

My grill has a plate that comes up even with the bottom grate and directs the heat to the top of the pit. Works well and doesn’t have hot spots.

Comment

Working...
                  X