Ground hornet nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground hornet nest

Dad was mowing his sister's yard the other day and got popped by what he thought was guinea wasps but found out it was a ground hornet nest he had mowed over

He got popped 3 times but he went back on a sneak attack and fogged them with diesel

He tried to dig the nest out in one piece but that did not work

Pic is levels laid out on his tailgate

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5301.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	25215466

Those boogers are the devil

Comment

Your dad is my hero

Comment

I believe that is a yellow jacket hive. If so, they can be very aggressive.

Comment

Yellow jackets. Not ground hornets. Hornets are not subterranean. The other ground dweller is bumble bees. That’s it around Texas for colonizing bees.

Comment

I stepped on a guniea wasp this evening.. felt like a broken toe

Comment

Yellow jackets. Lots of folks call the wasp that nest above ground yellow jackets but the real deal makes a nest underground and can number in the hundreds of thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Yellow jackets. Not ground hornets. Hornets are not subterranean. The other ground dweller is bumble bees. That’s it around Texas for colonizing bees.
                That's what got me last year. They hurt like a hornet so they are hornet's [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Bryan, you and your Dad need to stay in the house for a while!

Comment

I am no wasp/bee expert so I will concede they are yellow jackets

I thought yellow jackets were similar but built above ground

Grant, no little stinging critters gonna keep me hiding in the house, just have to keep my guard up

Comment

Good for your dad. Sorry he got stung, but his diesel sneak attack sure did the job on those nasty devils.

Comment

I got swarmed and stung prolly 50 times last summer by yellow jackets while on the tractor. I was on fire. Never experienced anything like that and it still messes with me today. In the past I never cared about a flying insect near me, but now anything that flys near me, I kinda geek out for a second. It was that bad. PTSD I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yellow jackets! They will pop you multiple times too.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            So what are the yellow and black wasp above ground called?

Comment

Brian, glad your dad is ok, tell him hello for me

Comment

Working...
                              X