LED lights in shop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED lights in shop question

I need to replace my old school lights in my shop.... when I burn all 3 they are ridiculous how much energy they use....
    40x40 shop...
    Currently I have 3 ..200 watt lights in the center of shop...

What round LED lights would you go with? They are about 18ft off the ground...

And how much is the energy difference between LED and energy suckers...

Is it worth the up front price?

Thanks

We have begun conversion of the fluorescents with LEDs in our church -- 267 fixtures. These are 4' fixtures and do not require a ballast which is usually the component that fails first. The replacements use a "non-shunted tombstone" which I will leave to an electrician to explain, but means you have a hot end and the other end is dead, just holding the bulb. Get the ones with the highest light output, and the brightest color. We get ours from 1000 bulbs in Dallas. Not cheap and minimum buy is case of 25 but we found out we only needed 2 LED tubes per fixture instead of the 4 fluorescents.

They use less electricity, and with no ballast, produce far less heat, which is important in our church. Life is far longer than what you have as well. We converted our first hallway converted over a year ago and have not had a single issue with them.

Since you only have a few to replace/convert, HD carries some varieties, and you can buy the fixture with bulbs from Rockler too.
    Last edited by dustoffer; 07-05-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

My bro in law put 6 of those in his 40x50, its plenty of light.

Comment

My lighted area in my shop is the same as yours. I have 4’ LED shop lights mounted at 12’ in two rows of four. Had i mounted them at 20’ i would need two rows if six.

Comment

It all depends on how much you want to spend...
          Sounds like you have metal halide fixtures.
          You may be able to replace the lamps with a corn cob type led lamp and rewire the socket to direct voltage (wire around the ballast).
          3 lights in the center will have shadows. I would put at least 3 rows of lights In a 40x40.

Comment

There was a thread on here a few months back about this. From that info, I went with Primelights....led. they tell you what would be best based on your shop size and needs. Google should get you to them.

Mine was just for my home garage but they were an excellent source and the light is wonderful.

Found the thread: Educate Me on shop lights

.....and God Bless America.
            Last edited by JayB; 07-05-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I had 6 put inside my 60' x 40' building and 2 under my 20' x 40' awning. My walls are 16'.

If I had to do it over again I would do only 4 inside as I think I could land planes in there.

I am disgusted these pictures are so big. Why can we not have resizing built into the forum software?

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                My lighted area in my shop is the same as yours. I have 4’ LED shop lights mounted at 12’ in two rows of four. Had i mounted them at 20’ i would need two rows if six.
                Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                I had 6 put inside my 60' x 40' building and 2 under my 20' x 40' awning. My walls are 16'.

If I had to do it over again I would do only 4 inside as I think I could land planes in there.

I am disgusted these pictures are so big. Why can we not have resizing built into the forum software?

Have you noticed how much it costs to run them at all....

These old school lights are ridiculous....if I burn all 3 I bet it’s $10 per day.....10 hours a day

Comment

Sorry I don't know how much it cost to run them.

Comment

I bought these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...2161/302456569
                    in my 40x60 metal bldg with 14 ft eaves.
                    I put two on each main beam. VERY bright; I am VERY happy.
                    Mine are on separate circuits so I can run just one row or both.
                    Don't know how much they cost per kW/hr, but I do know that TWO of them (each circuit) draw 2.5 Amps (120 V). They do not create much heat either.
                    I think if you stared at them you'd go blind...

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                      Have you noticed how much it costs to run them at all....

These old school lights are ridiculous....if I burn all 3 I bet it’s $10 per day.....10 hours a day

Those are 100w fixtures. Run one for 10 hours and you get a Kilowatt or about 10 cents total per day per fixture.

Comment

Take a look at 2'x2' flat panel high bay fixtures. I have a 3000 sq ft shop and I put 8 in there. It is so bright it looks like daylight. I have them switched 3 ways and I rarely ever turn on more than 3 at once. You can go online and there is a chart that tells you how many to use.

My electric bill is so small I don't know what it cost to run them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Where are you located

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X