Lamco VS ASF timed protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want something I can use for protein most of the year and switch to corn in the fall. Is one better than the other for allowing multiple deer to feed at once?

The Lamco has more tray space but as you’ve probably seen you’ll pay for it. If price, footprint or hauling is no object then the Lamco is the way to go. I went with ASF because I found two used at a great price and I can move them easily if I change pens ever.

Curious why you would switch to corn? The protein is as big an attractant as the corn is for us. We run both corn feeders and timed protein in our pens. The timed protein helps us get the deer on our time (daylight) instead of theirs (dark).

If the Lamco is anything like my ASF’s you’ll have to adjust the spinner plate height if you do go to corn. The corn will run out the funnel over the spinner if the gap is too large for your protein. Pellets are bigger and a little more clingy than a smaller slick piece of corn.
    Last edited by Smart; 12-24-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

We’ve thrown corn and protein both in our Lamco timed protein feeders with no issues.

Comment

If all you are feeding is deer, either will work fine. If you have big, aggressive critters like aoudad or scimitar, the lamco is a much better choice. We have both on the ranch I work at, and I am constantly welding and repairing on the ASF timed protein feeders that the big critters beat to a pulp trying to knock more protein out.

The lancing feeders have a cupped spinner plate. I have not run corn in ours, but can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

After my experiences with both, I would opt for the lamco over the ASF for my own place or lease.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Bisch; 12-24-2020, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I have a 1,000 lb Lamco trough feeder, and it’s awesome.

A dozen deer can easily feed from it at the same time. My feeder is around 8 years old and still going strong. It a solid feeder that had stood up to goats and Axis.

Comment

How do these work? Is there a housing around the spinner plate that the protein hits and then drops down? If so is it super loud from the protein hitting the housing?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              How do these work? Is there a housing around the spinner plate that the protein hits and then drops down? If so is it super loud from the protein hitting the housing?

It works just like that but its not super loud. The corn feeder is louder. I'm good with that though. I don't want the feeder breaking up all the protein and making powder. The ASFs have holes in the tray for water to drain, and some of the broken pieces fall through the tray. I prefer it to all stay in the tray whole.
              Last edited by Smart; 12-25-2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post

The Lamco is a spinner like any other. It’s is enclosed inside the feeder. The feed spins out and slides down into the trough. It’s not really loud

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  It work just like that but its not super loud. The corn feeder is louder. I'm good with that though. I don't want the feeder breaking up all the protein and making powder. The ASFs have holes in the tray for water to drain, and some of the broken pieces fall through the tray. I prefer it to all stay in the tray whole.

Short video I took when I first set it out testing it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KIVafFP_1A"]All Seasons Timed Protein - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Smart; 12-25-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

The Lamco is a spinner like any other. It’s is enclosed inside the feeder. The feed spins out and slides down into the trough. It’s not really loud

Same on ASF but the funnel hole is larger than a corn feeder

Comment

The lamco protein are great. I also like to throw alfalfa pellets in the trough when I hunt. These are 1k lb feeders that I have.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Short video I took when I first set it out testing it.

All Seasons Timed Protein - YouTube

http://youtu.be/-KIVafFP_1A
                        It works just like that but its not super loud. The corn feeder is louder. I'm good with that though. I don't want the feeder breaking up all the protein and making powder. The ASFs have holes in the tray for water to drain, and some of the broken pieces fall through the tray. I prefer it to all stay in the tray whole.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. And agree I wouldn’t want the pellets to get broken up either.

Comment

I have both and they both work well but I like the Lamco best once in place due to it being a pain to haul.

Comment

That 1000 lb Lamco is a heck of a nice feeder, we have two on our place, I have a tele handler which made it easy to load and unload.

Comment

The Lamco is easy to haul in the bed of a truck. You just put it in upside down then put a couple straps over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X