Switch from a pickup to SUV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I will play.

I had a gmc 2015 2500 8’ bed crew cab. Had a 2017 4Runner. For 2 years the gmc got less than 500 miles, it sat it only pulled the boat. I hunted 2 years out of the 4Runner. I hauled lumber up to 10’ emptied out a storage unit and moved a house out of it. It’s crazy what it could do. It was a pain backing the boat with the truck. Started using the 4Runner for that. We wanted a house. So we sold the truck and used that money to buy our river retirement home. I’m 400 yards to the boat ramp and within 8 miles of 3 more. We don’t own a camper. Our home is our vacation. Now at times I missed the truck on the rare chance I moved large heavy things. But rarely. The secrete is a large custom hitch haul. I could hold 3 120-150qt coolers. Now I refinanced the 4Runner and bought a 2007 Tacoma for less than the original 4Runner was costing me per month. If you go suv go 4Runner bought it in 18 for 31OTD and it’s worth 29.5k today. They hold value. Just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
      Ok I will play.

I had a gmc 2015 2500 8’ bed crew cab. Had a 2017 4Runner. For 2 years the gmc got less than 500 miles, it sat it only pulled the boat. I hunted 2 years out of the 4Runner. I hauled lumber up to 10’ emptied out a storage unit and moved a house out of it. It’s crazy what it could do. It was a pain backing the boat with the truck. Started using the 4Runner for that. We wanted a house. So we sold the truck and used that money to buy our river retirement home. I’m 400 yards to the boat ramp and within 8 miles of 3 more. We don’t own a camper. Our home is our vacation. Now at times I missed the truck on the rare chance I moved large heavy things. But rarely. The secrete is a large custom hitch haul. I could hold 3 120-150qt coolers. Now I refinanced the 4Runner and bought a 2007 Tacoma for less than the original 4Runner was costing me per month. If you go suv go 4Runner bought it in 18 for 31OTD and it’s worth 29.5k today. They hold value. Just my .02.

Thanks. The 4Runner I almost traded for was a ‘17 with 65,000 miles on it. It was the TRD off road pro. I fell in love with it within 1/2 mile of the test drive. I got as far as sitting at the desk arguing over numbers before getting cold feet and bailing. Thought about calling back up there the next day but the wife passed the dealer and said it’s gone. Honestly my only hold back is the once in a blue moon I may need to tow a tractor or travel trailer.

Comment

4-Runners are OK, BUT don't ever think of them as a full size SUV... They are NOT!! The one we have has a sun/moon roof. That drops the headliner down to a point that the only way I can sit in the driver's seat is to have the seat as low as it will go, back and tilt the seat back way back... I'm 6'3"... Don't get me wrong, it's a nice vehicle and has the "Limited" trim package... whatever in the heck that means, but It's no real SUV by any means with respect to size. I'd hate to try to ride in the back seat too. Ours does not have the third row seating.

Comment

I've had both as well, and I really liked the suburban. I still bought a truck last time but in large part due to cost difference. Now that I don't carry 4 wheelers in the back of the truck, I think there might be more advantages with the suv. I really liked being able to keep all my stuff inside when traveling.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            4-Runners are OK, BUT don't ever think of them as a full size SUV... They are NOT!! The one we have has a sun/moon roof. That drops the headliner down to a point that the only way I can sit in the driver's seat is to have the seat as low as it will go, back and tilt the seat back way back... I'm 6'3"... Don't get me wrong, it's a nice vehicle and has the "Limited" trim package... whatever in the heck that means, but It's no real SUV by any means with respect to size. I'd hate to try to ride in the back seat too. Ours does not have the third row seating.

The one I test drove had a sun roof and I was actually surprised how much room I had. I’m 6’2” and 250 lbs and had plenty of head and leg room.

Comment

Hitch-Haul'r and a canvas tarp has always worked for me. I've loved the Suburbans I've had and now I'm in a Land Cruiser, love the seating capabilities and dry storage. Anything larger than a couple of deer, an ice chest or some trash bags I prefer a trailer anyway, easier loading and more room than a truck bed.
              Attached Files

Comment

Not a lot of room in the 4-runner. Get a low mileage Expedition or Tahoe.

The Expedition is built on the F-150 frame. When I need to haul stuff, I put all the seats down (2nd and 3rd row).

Just don't haul garbage or anything that can mess up the interior. And do have to account for the roof of the Expedition. Otherwise, I'm good to go.

Just wish I could have afforded the 4x4

Comment

I want a SUV too. Maybe an older full size Lexus 4x4 that Has cool tires and rims on. Nothing crazy. Nice clean leather interior (maybe aftermarket) Backup camera nice sound system with large display and a few other bells and whistles to cruise around town or as a go to the city weekender and out to camp in.

But I ain’t getting rid of my F250 Crew to get it.

I always need a pickup bed

Comment

Ive had trucks and SUVs over the years. Trucks were great for hauling dirty engines and transmissions, long or big wood, and tall appliances, but cant walk into academy with fishing poles and tackle boxes stashed in the bed. Hunting and fishing gear pack nicely, dryly, and securly in the locked vehicle of an SUV. Full sized will tow anything a half ton truck will.

I do miss my tahoe and cherokee chiefs though ��.

Comment

We did, went from a 150 to now an Explorer. There are many times where I’ve needed a truck and had to lean on a buddy.

Comment

Might as well go mini van if you have completely lost your man card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done the SUV thing a few times. Only time I ever really regretted it was filling feeders and hauling bloody deer carcasses at the ranch. Our place in Rocksprings was too rough to use the hitch racks, or that for sure would have helped.

Now that we're hunting east texas, and getting an ATV for around there, an SUV wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                            Might as well go mini van if you have completely lost your man card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know anyone selling a 4x4 mini van? I’m game.

Comment

Also go look at the Lexus SUV GX’s. They are 4x4 with a v8. Many times the are cheaper than the same year and mileage 4runners.

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                                Also go look at the Lexus SUV GX’s. They are 4x4 with a v8. Many times the are cheaper than the same year and mileage 4runners.

Good to know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X