Enlisting - Army National Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not with the current administration.
    They may not let you have any bullets to shoot back with if you were put in that situation!

Comment

I was in a similar situation only was 20 at the time. I enlisted as an E1 and spent 18 months as an OH 58 crew chief, then because of my civilian flight experience took direct appointment to WO1 and went to flight school. I enjoyed almost all of it.

Don't let anyone tell you it's only 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer, especially as an officer. I was at the Guard facility a minimum of 4 days a month and there were occasional 3 weeks summer training events. In Florida they did not activate us for the first gulf war but we did get activated at least once a year for hurricanes, tropical storms, event security etc.

One of your biggest obstacles will be your civilian employer. After 12 years I had to give up the National Guard due to a hostile civilian employer. Ironically one of the biggest defense contractors in the country.

If you can get past those negatives it's a very rewarding place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
        Quanah11, thank you. That was exactly the advice I was looking for. The recruiter was all rainbows and sunshine which even at the time sounded to good to be true. I’d like to join to serve my country but at the same time I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly. Seems when you talk to recruiters it’s all good and none of the bad.
        Yepp NG recruiters are on AGR orders as long as they can compete their mission. That’s why they call recruits mission objectives. If they can’t do it they lose their active slot and go back to M Day soldiers.
        They will do anything possible to keep that Cush job
        Most recruiters can’t do much outside of the service and don’t want to go active so they stay in that chill spot of eating Popeyes chicken everyday and strutting around high schools or something.
        If you really do have any big questions or are wondering about a certain spot you’re hung up on let me know I won’t BS ya man I don’t get an extra $400 a month everytime I get someone to join but I will be honest because I hate seeing guys get lied to then find out after they are lashed to a contract that is misery.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
          OCS isn't a gimme. My class 42 years ago had a 60% plus attrition.

I instructed at the La Military Academy in the late 80s early 90s and attritions were 50% plus. We ran the Phase 1 camp for TX/LA/NM at Camp Beauregard and it seems like most of the attrition was in Phase 1. Things may have changed in the last thirty years due to better pre OCS prep.

Has anyone mentioned the Accelerated OCS option to you (Ft. Rucker). I assume that still exists. And the active duty OCS at Ft. Benning.
          Camp Beauregard. That’s a name I have not heard in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Camp Beauregard. That’s a name I have not heard in a while.
            Yeah I haven't been there in thirty years. Spent a lot of time at the Bentley.

Comment

My sister in law was in Army Reserve for 26 years. Got out as a Lt. Colonel. And trust me on this one, there was plenty of times that she missed special events in the lives of her family, and it bothered her. She went to Afghanistan and Iraq. Have no idea what her benefits are.
              At 36 I’d pray long and hard about it. I went in the Marine Corp in 1974 never knowing in less than a year I’d be in the final campaign in Vietnam. Lives change quick in the armed services.

Comment

OP,

My nephew came to me last year wanting to discuss him joining the National Guard. For as mush as I benefited from being in the Guard, I could not with a good heart recommend he join.

Like you his main focus was the financial aspect of joining. What people don't realize is how often the National Guard mobilize. If you're not dealing with a State emergency, you're getting a Federal mission. And with the current POTUS, know going in, its not will you deploy but when. You will see an overseas deployment.

If you are set on serving your country, I'll tell you like I told him. Go check out the Air National Guard. While the to get deployed a lot, your deployments are a lot easier.

Comment

And you’ll have war mongering democrats keeping you in everlasting conflicts. Many wars and just one life.

Comment

just make sure you don't have a problem with someone a lot younger than you giving the orders. Being your age that will be the case for a good while.

Comment

I was in the reserves then national guard from 89-95. Joined at 17. I didn't catch how old you are but I'd recommend just going full time and get the whole effect! Anyone who was an officer will tell you it WAY more than a weekend commitment.
                      I wish I would have.

Comment

I'm a Captain in the Army National Guard, I'm 38yo. I'm with an infantry battalion. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and let's have a chat about the good, the bad and the ugly.
                        Last edited by Jmh05; 03-19-2021, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                          I'm a Captain in the Army National Guard, I'm 38yo. I'm with an infantry battalion. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and let's have a chat about the good, the bad and the ugly.
                          Flip side, let me know if you want to talk. I did 15 years full time in the Air National Guard- plus another 6 years to finish out a military retirement that should cash in in. What I gained from military service was a very good position with a major telecom co (now retired). It ain't for everyone- just don't sign up for a weapon or a shovel. Crypto, Electronic Switch, Phone guy, E-7, Captians followed my lead.

Comment

there is no pay difference between branches.

Ellington jrb isnt that bad of a drive from our side of town, and houses them all.

Comment

So this thread got me thinking again and apparently having a current inhaler prescription is an automatic DQ according to all the recruiters I talked to Friday and today

Comment

Qanah made a lot of good points. I joined the Army in 2008 (as a SPC) after graduating with a BA in accounting and unable to find a job due to the market crash. I also got the SLRP (loan repayment) but in turn had to turn down the GI bill entirely. My recruiter also told me that once I made it through basic and AIT and got to my unit, they would send me to OCS. That was a load of BS. I put together my own application packet, and it sat on my CO's desk for 4 months until he moved duty stations. It is possible to get OCS in your initial contract if I'm not mistaken. The most important thing to remember is that if it's not in black and white on your contract don't count on it happening! Recruiters lie. That's their job.

I was 24 at the time and was still somewhat immature. One of the most annoying parts for me in basic training was having to rely on 18/19 year old kids to stay in line and learn how to follow orders. If you go in knowing that you're going to have to deal with that, it will probably help.

Comment

Working...
                                X