Ram Ecodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ram Ecodiesel

Buying a new truck due to mine being totaled. Was trying to see what everyone thought about the ecodiesel, thoughts and experiences. It’s between it or the ecoboost. The only reason I’m leaning toward RAM is MPG and towing. I won’t be pulling much but when I do it will be a small bumper pull horse trailer, so it seems the RAM makes more sense but thought I’d see what everyone’s experience has been

Originally posted by jbonney1986 View Post
    Buying a new truck due to mine being totaled. Was trying to see what everyone thought about the ecodiesel, thoughts and experiences. It’s between it or the ecoboost. The only reason I’m leaning toward RAM is MPG and towing. I won’t be pulling much but when I do it will be a small bumper pull horse trailer, so it seems the RAM makes more sense but thought I’d see what everyone’s experience has been
    I actually went through this exact same exercise in May. I drive almost weekly from Austin to Rocksprings so I was was looking at MPG and towing capacity. What I found is that the eco diesel towing wasn't really better than the eco boost. Additionally, no dealers really had them on the lot therefore they would not give as good of a deal as the eco boost. So I went with the Ram limited Eco boost V8, got 0% financing and about 10k off. I really, really tried to but the diesel.
    Last edited by PROD49; 03-08-2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Wife drives the 16 RAM eco diesel, it's been trouble free. 100,000 plus miles

Comment

I like Ram trucks and drive a Ram 3500 CTD.

The two people I know that owned Ram 1500 Ecodiesels both had them lemon lawed and repurchased by Ram.

Both trucks were in the shop several times for engine issues before they gave up the ghost. They were 2017/2018's or so.

Comment

I have a 2016 eco-diesel. It has been trouble free, although it has had a ton of recalls on it.

I have taken it to a dealership each time there was one issued and they were fixed, except for this last one.

It is for the egr system. The dealership in Palestine had it for quite a few days and never fixed it. I believe they jerry rigged it to get me by until the parts they needed showed up. This was about a year ago now, & I’m still waiting on that call.

Calls I’ve made to the dealership are either not returned, or I’m told we’re waiting on your parts.

So no, I wouldn’t recommend getting the eco-diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hmmm ok, well maybe I’ll steer clear of the ecodiesel?

Comment

We have a 15 ecodiesel that was my wife’s grandfather’s. It’s had several issues with the egr and egr bypass. All has been covered under warranty. We just had to have new front A-arms put on it because there was some kind of issue with it under warranty. It’s on its 3rd water pump also. I will say, the truck is very fuel efficient and pulls really nice. I hauled a enclosed trailer with 5k pounds of stuff in it from Texas to Washington and my average fuel economy was 12.1 mpg. Driving around town and highway we get 23mpg average. I just did all the deletes on it and now it’s getting 26mpg average. Hopefully with the work I have done to it, it won’t have anymore issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Boyd1212 View Post
                We have a 15 ecodiesel that was my wife’s grandfather’s. It’s had several issues with the egr and egr bypass. All has been covered under warranty. We just had to have new front A-arms put on it because there was some kind of issue with it under warranty. It’s on its 3rd water pump also. I will say, the truck is very fuel efficient and pulls really nice. I hauled a enclosed trailer with 5k pounds of stuff in it from Texas to Washington and my average fuel economy was 12.1 mpg. Driving around town and highway we get 23mpg average. I just did all the deletes on it and now it’s getting 26mpg average. Hopefully with the work I have done to it, it won’t have anymore issues.
                Dam....thats giving the 6.0 PSD a run for it's money!

Comment

I have a 17’ and it had a bunch of troubles in the beginning but now has been pretty solid. I still need to do the egr recall.

Comment

I’m interested as well

Comment

Look into what you're going to spend on oil changes on the Eco Diesel. It's pretty expensive. And it's getting harder and harder to delete them, which means your running all that crap back through the engine to meet the emissions standards. Which means it's really bad on the engine. Oil looks like black syrup when you change it at 7500 miles. Much cleaner if you delete and let that baby blow that crap out the exhaust.

Comment

PM Boss bowman. He's got a 2016, and pulls a bass boat all over the place. He can tell you all you need to know.

Comment

I don’t know about the eco diesel
                          My uncle and I were at a dealership and they had acres of ram 1500 sitting on a back lot waiting on some type of recall, all eco diesel, that would make me nervous
                          This was in 2020 pre pandemic

Comment

If I were looking for a 1/2 ton diesel I would be looking at the Chevy/GMC and I don’t even like those trucks. I think the inline 6 is a better design and will be longer lived.

If I were looking at a 1/2 ton gasser I’d try to find a F150 Hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have the 3.6 gas engine in a 4x4 ram . Pulls fine 5-7k loads.
                              Fuel economy is 17 town 19 highway at 68 mph. Towing about 11mpg.

$10k price difference will buy a lot of fuel

Comment

Working...
                              X