No announcement yet.

Generac whole home generator thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine had one put in at his house about 12 years ago.I ask him about it every time there's a storm,weather event,etc..He can't say enough about it.How many times it's paid for itself..If I recall it was $6k installed.House is about 2200 sf.,with one a.c...That was 12 yrs ago,though.

Comment

There's about 6-8 of us in my neighborhood looking at these now. And I have a couple other buddies looking as well. Always interested in saving $$ where possible with a bulk buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Anyone who does this make sure you understand what you are buying and what the limitations are. A 22kw generator is not large enough to completely power an entire house with a typical 200A service.

You will need to selectively decide what loads you can and don’t want to go without. The term “whole house” is a bit misleading. Also understand what the fuel consumption rate is, especially if you will be on propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Good point, Mike. My neighbor's service was not installed when they closed on their house. The builder brought in a generator on a trailer to power up the entire house that thing was about double the size of a typical 'whole home' generator they claimed that is what it would take to power my entire house as well. I am good with selectively shutting down things as long as I can run the larger AC unit during the summer and all my freezers/refrigerators, I would shut down the pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy1123 View Post
          I’d be interested in a group buy.
          Me too

Comment

Generac whole home generator thread

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
            Good point, Mike. My neighbor's service was not installed when they closed on their house. The builder brought in a generator on a trailer to power up the entire house that thing was about double the size of a typical 'whole home' generator they claimed that is what it would take to power my entire house as well. I am good with selectively shutting down things as long as I can run the larger AC unit during the summer and all my freezers/refrigerators, I would shut down the pool.

Yep. To completely power a house equal to the 200A incoming service, you would need a 48kw unit and that would be running it at 100% rated capacity which I would not do personally.

Comment

I would be interested

Comment

I’m interested in tomball

Comment

I am interested as well, just bought a place in Brenham and we are remodeling. A generator is on the list.

Comment

Tagged... Didn't lose power but thinking about back up gen.

Comment

Count my interest in as well, my wife and I were just discussing this plus I’m in the Magnolia area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone in the Ft Worth area install these.
                        I’m ready and wife said to get it installed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Yep. To completely power a house equal to the 200A incoming service, you would need a 48kw unit and that would be running it at 100% rated capacity which I would not do personally.

Mike can you explain how you got to 48kw?
                          I just installed a 22kw Generac two weeks before this mess and it has made my wife happy to say the least. I know that the unit will produce about 168-169 amps at 110 volts, so am confident that it is not a direct replacement for the 200 amps I get from Entergy. Is the 200 amp main breaker rated at 220 volts or 400 amps at 110?

Hopeful we do not have to use this thing often but happy with it so far.

I ordered it myself and with the automatic transfer switch, slab and a couple of maintenance kits it was $5,200 delivered to my door. I installed the gas line myself but chickened out on the electrical since the metres can had to be pulled.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                            Mike can you explain how you got to 48kw?

I just installed a 22kw Generac two weeks before this mess and it has made my wife happy to say the least. I know that the unit will produce about 168-169 amps at 110 volts, so am confident that it is not a direct replacement for the 200 amps I get from Entergy. Is the 200 amp main breaker rated at 220 volts or 400 amps at 110?

Hopeful we do not have to use this thing often but happy with it so far.

I ordered it myself and with the automatic transfer switch, slab and a couple of maintenance kits it was $5,200 delivered to my door. I installed the gas line myself but chickened out on the electrical since the metres can had to be pulled.

Tim

Sure it’s really simple on single phase. It’s literally Volts x Amps.

240x200=48,000 watts or 48kw.

Your 22kw puts out 92 amps at 240V if I remember correctly because I have the same 22kw unit.

22,000/240= 91.66666 amps.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying. I had always thought that the 200 amp main breaker was the 110 rating not 220. Learn something new everyday here on the green screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X