is a 8 always an 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexdeer19 View Post
    We look at frame and base our deer off score and not number of points.
    Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    I’m sure this has been said above. The biologist is an idiot.
    Originally posted by buckduster View Post
    Did he tell them that a spike was always a spike too?
    All of this.

I hear the "once an 8 always an 8" comment every year. Just ridiculous. Most 8's I have watched over the years ended up growing more points as they got older. Actually very few stayed 8's. That is why it is so dang hard to grow giant 8 pointers---because they almost always grow more points.

Like stated above, we manage for size (score). Number of points doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
      All of this.

I hear the "once an 8 always an 8" comment every year. Just ridiculous. Most 8's I have watched over the years ended up growing more points as they got older. Actually very few stayed 8's. That is why it is so dang hard to grow giant 8 pointers---because they almost always grow more points.

Like stated above, we manage for size (score). Number of points doesn't matter.
      Agreed. The other thing I would add is that each animal should be decided on individually. Not a blanket plan based on number of points.

Comment

Whether removing mature 8s from a controlled herd is a good idea is one debate....

Once an 8 always an 8 is plain stupid. If an actual biologist said that he should be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          So if we are using points as a determining factor, you would rather shoot the 130" 8 pt at 5.5 and let the 120" 10 point walk?
          Where I'm at also. That comment makes zero sense. We go off of score not points at a certain age.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckBass79 View Post
            BINGO!
            This is what I believe as well. Worked on a ranch with tagged deer for several years and I can’t say there’s a more accurate response than this. Had many of our 8’s grow lots of character but they didn’t keep them around when better genes were available. This was a controlled environment and they had every advantage

Comment

I think I’ve seen just as many poor 10s that need to get shot as I have 8s.

I don’t understand why 4 or 5 total inches of G4 suddenly makes a deer sacred.

Comment

Big 8

These two bucks were slick 8’s the last 2 years. Both bucks added a kicker and one added a g-4.

They look young in those pics but are both 5 this year, and won’t get shot for at least a couple more. Maybe strange to some, but we did kill a 217 low fence this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Mexdeer19; 01-06-2021, 07:37 PM. Reason: Add

Comment

There are 10s that need to go.
                  There are 8s that need to go.
                  Pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                    I think I’ve seen just as many poor 10s that need to get shot as I have 8s.

I don’t understand why 4 or 5 total inches of G4 suddenly makes a deer sacred.
                    Exactly!!!!

Comment

We “cull” based on frame size and score. Number of points is way down on the list of things we use as tools to determine which mouths to remove.

Comment

Nope nope nope.
                        Shot a “slick 8” that matured into a 9........

With 9 kickers and scored 179. Low fence. 2nd place most points in cola Blanca archery.

Comment

With us anything over a certain age and better than a 8pt that does not reach a certain score falls into a mngmt deer catergory. I know a lot of others that do as well. Your right though, just cause it would be a 10 or better wouldn't make sense.

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          Where I'm at also. That comment makes zero sense. We go off of score not points at a certain age.

Comment

Will an 8 of 3.5 become a typical 10? Or will it just become an 8 with a few kickers...

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                              Will an 8 of 3.5 become a typical 10? Or will it just become an 8 with a few kickers...

Both can and do happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                                Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                                Both can and do happen.
                                Yep, happens a LOT. Either way. Like I said earlier, most 8's will not stay an 8. Honestly, I have let a LOT of 8's walk just hoping they WOULD stay an 8 later in life...and most will always grow more points. I've been disappointed MANY times when they show back up with G-4's.

Comment

Working...
                                X