No announcement yet.

DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was that delivered by one of our guys ? I hope not.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
      Was that delivered by one of our guys ? I hope not.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

AAA...no signature by the driver either. I just wish they would have delivered it when we had it scheduled for (when I was home) because I would have refused it then and there. Now the guy is going to have to comeback and get this $1k pack of fire starter off my porch.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A replacement order has been shipped and should arrive midweek. I am very impressed with the way BBC has handled this!

Michael

Comment

Ouch I’d be a tad upset if I got home to that on my porch.

Comment

I built a bateau phantom 18 starting back in 2001. I was working in fits and starts, but I finished it in 2008. I ended up redoing the transom last year because I was developing a few motor well cracks. I wish I had built it stronger the first time. Lots of sweat and sanding in the project, but it is a point of pride in running a boat you build yourself.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedevil View Post
              I built a bateau phantom 18 starting back in 2001. I was working in fits and starts, but I finished it in 2008. I ended up redoing the transom last year because I was developing a few motor well cracks. I wish I had built it stronger the first time. Lots of sweat and sanding in the project, but it is a point of pride in running a boat you build yourself.

That is awesome and supports what I am thinking when it comes to the transom! I plan to sandwich 3/4 BC marine with 6mm Okoume so if I decide to go with a little larger outboard later it is ready and if not, it should last.

BTW, my replacement Okoume is scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning!!!

Michael

Comment

The original bateau plans had 3/4" x 12" mahogany clamp board. The motor well was suppose to stiffen the laminate, but I put a bigger motor on and didn't do a great job on tying the transom to the motor well. On the new transom, I laminated two 3/4" layers of okoume together, which cover the entire transom and tie directly into the stringers. I then eliminated the motor well and boxed in the whole rear compartment with two longitudinal bulkheads laminated to the inboard stringers and a horizontal bulkhead which is cleated to the top of the stringers and filited between the rear bulkhead and the transom. Knock on wood, but I think it should be plenty strong at this point.

Comment

Listen to what Bluedevil explained and did, then go look at many build and repair threads on the BBC message board. You will get a LOT more strength tying the transom in to the stringers and rear deck (if your build has one) than you will adding more layers to the transom thickness. If you want to add thickness, add more bidirectional woven glass (not mat) to the laminate not more wood. The strength of the stitch and glue method comes from the glass and epoxy. The wood is mostly a substrate to hold the shape and provide puncture resistance. It does give some strength so don't think that I'm discounting it completely.

Tim

Comment

BTW Bluedevil your one pic looks awesome. I really want to build the 22' Phantom but do not have the time like I did 15 years ago.

Got a link to a build thread or some more pictures?

T

Comment

The original bateau plans had 3/4" x 12" mahogany clamp board. The motor well was suppose to stiffen the laminate, but I put a bigger motor on and didn't do a great job on tying the transom to the motor well. On the new transom, I laminated two 3/4" layers of okoume together, which cover the entire transom and tie directly into the stringers. I then eliminated the motor well and boxed in the whole rear compartment with two longitudinal bulkheads laminated to the inboard stringers and a horizontal bulkhead which is cleated to the top of the stringers and filited between the rear bulkhead and the transom. Knock on wood, but I think it should be plenty strong at this point.

My plan calls for triple 6mm for the transom and it is tied into the stringers. No rear deck but I have a couple other ideas that will assist on strengthening. Thank y’all for the firsthand input and advice!

Michael

Comment

The replacement Okoume arrived safe and sound today! Now I just need time off.

Comment

Awesome they resolved the damage in transit issue!

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                            BTW Bluedevil your one pic looks awesome. I really want to build the 22' Phantom but do not have the time like I did 15 years ago.

Got a link to a build thread or some more pictures?

T
                            I wish I did a build thread, but I didn't think to do it as I went. I have the boat in NE Houston if you ever want to take a look when your in the area.

Comment

I wish I did a build thread, but I didn't think to do it as I went. I have the boat in NE Houston if you ever want to take a look when your in the area.

Thank you sir! I will have GoPro’s setup taking time lapse pics and occasionally we will shoot video. The thing I believe I will enjoy most (other than the boat) is reflecting back on the journal I am keeping years from now. I am documenting every step, mistakes, and obstacles along the way.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by K_Wittenburg View Post
                                Awesome they resolved the damage in transit issue!

Yessir, they did me right and every day touched base with me. Today, I received no less than a half dozen emails and phone calls from the distributor. I am very impressed with BBC!

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X