Wood Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
    Are you doing the joists on 16 or 24 inch centers?

Is loft area just for storage? How much weight. I am just asking because of safety.
    Because the space of the existing 2x6's in the shop it ended up being 18" a part. I just split the 3' spacing of the existing studs. It is only going to be storage, totes, Christmas decor etc.

Comment

18” centers is odd ball for sure.
      16” on center is what I would recommend but I am not a professional .

Comment

My concerns are how much load you are putting up there. I had a 18ft span and was told to use 2x12 on 16 inch center min that would give me .5 drop in middle under weight. Not sure what size 2x you should use for 10ft span and feel like the centers might be too far apart. Again, depends how much weight you are putting up there. 10x10 can hold a lot crap.

Using the girts as the ledger boards along the wall.

The only thing protecting from shear really is the two braces at an angle.

The post getting moved out of place unless you have already or plan to attach it to the concrete permanently.

But i over think crap cause i have kids. And kids are WILD climb and jump and do exactly what i would fear the most.

Be safe and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
          My concerns are how much load you are putting up there. I had a 18ft span and was told to use 2x12 on 16 inch center min that would give me .5 drop in middle under weight. Not sure what size 2x you should use for 10ft span and feel like the centers might be too far apart. Again, depends how much weight you are putting up there. 10x10 can hold a lot crap.

Using the girts as the ledger boards along the wall.

The only thing protecting from shear really is the two braces at an angle.

The post getting moved out of place unless you have already or plan to attach it to the concrete permanently.

But i over think crap cause i have kids. And kids are WILD climb and jump and do exactly what i would fear the most.

Be safe and good luck.
          Thank you for all the info it is appreciated.

I have a bracket that just came in yesterday that is going to mount the beam to the concrete by drilling screw/bolts into the beam and floor.

I still have to add lag bolts into each of the joists where they connect to the beam or wood on wood contact at the at the existing buildings' stud's

I know 18" centers are odd and didn't really plan it that way but didn't really see another option as I went.

Alot of what will go up there will not be heavy and I will make sure to keep in mind the weight I am adding as I go as to not over load it.

Comment

Some more progress last night. Got the plywood running opposite the floor joists.

Going to add some cross support in between the joists from below.
            Attached Files

Comment

That post should have been notched to have the beam rest on it, that beam definitely needs to be doubled up, and probably should have been a 2x12. Doubled 2x10’s will probably be ok if it’s Christmas decorations rather than toolboxes up there though. If you look up a span table it will tell you what the psf load can be.

At this point, I’d add the second 2x10 and then run a pair of 3/4” carriage bolts through the beam into that post, as well as through the post where it hits the wall.

The 18” joist spacing isn’t a big deal, but does slightly reduce the overall weight capacity. They are usually done at 12”, 16”, and 24” in order to prevent you from having to cut the plywood on the subfloor.

Also, if you used screws on those joist hangers it’s not to code, they need to be nailed on with galvanized nails. If you did screw it and are going to leave them, they need to be rated for treated wood. And please tell me there aren’t drywall screws
              Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 12-08-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X