Help with night time photos with new to me camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thank y’all for all the info
    Changed all my settings as was suggested, went to local game tonight, no monopod, and took some pretty good pictures. ALOT better than before.
    I’ll post some up after next weeks game

Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
      Well thank y’all for all the info
      Changed all my settings as was suggested, went to local game tonight, no monopod, and took some pretty good pictures. ALOT better than before.
      I’ll post some up after next weeks game

Thanks for all the help.

Definitely post one from before we helped, and one after. We need to see the #TBHeffect!

Comment

OP, Shane gave you the Brian Petersen cliff notes, follow them and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
          Definitely post one from before we helped, and one after. We need to see the #TBHeffect!

If I have any before pictures left I’ll post em. I think I deleted them all while being so mad when looking at them. They were terrible

Comment

pics

Set my ISO to 1600, ans shutter speed is F3.5 which gives me 1/500
            I set it to TV, Al Servo, AF and have the VC turned on.
            Anything else?

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to another game tonight to practice with these settings. Hopefully I can dial it in before her next game.
            used these settings a couple games ago, and the pictures had good lighting, but still blurry
            Attached Files

Comment

So last night I went with with mostly the same settings, but switched ISO to 800. Also, not sure if this matters but I have the white balance set to AWB, and its set for continuous shooting. Alot sharper/clearer pics, but now just way too dark. I cant figure it out.
              Attached Files

Comment

They have a marching competition tomorrow, and some pictures will be mid afternoon, then others later that night. DO I need to adjust any settings for the daytime pictures? I really want to figure out the night time settings to get better shots during the games. I might just skip pictures tomorrow during the daytime, and wait and try again tomorrow night.

Comment

They have a marching competition tomorrow, and some pictures will be mid afternoon, then others later that night. DO I need to adjust any settings for the daytime pictures? I really want to figure out the night time settings to get better shots during the games. I might just skip pictures tomorrow during the daytime, and wait and try again tomorrow night.

I'm still learning a lot of this myself but at night along with bumping the ISO I will slow the shutter speed down and turn the aperture to a lower number such as F1.8 or F2 to allow more light. It usually takes me a few test shots to adjust where I like it all to be so that I can get decent pics. I've yet to get great night time photos but I'm getting closer. As far as the daytime pictures it should be opposite for the most part. Aperture will go up to F11 or F16 or so and the ISO can come down some and the shutter speed can move up as well. As for any particular settings to use on these I can't tell you. I normally pick my aperture and keep it there (or I may adjust a little depending on the situation) and then I will go back and forth adjusting the shutter speed and ISO until I get a picture I'm happy with. For instance in the daytime I may choose F16, then put my ISO on 400, and then "play" with my shutter speed till I find a setting I like. If I cant then I will change my ISO and try again. If I am unsuccessful then I will start over with my aperture. As stated before I am still learning and know very little compared to most here so I'm sure someone can give a little better explanation. I know that with practice you can learn it well enough to get your settings right within a picture or two. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

That's 100% a shutter speed issue.

It's ALMOST fast enough, get in manual mode try bumping shutter speed up a bit, keep your aperture open as wide as you can and play with your ISO to balance things out.

Take a bunch of test pics and check them out as you go along to balance light sensitivity and ability to freeze motion.

IMO its much better to have an in focus pic with no motion blur and a little bit of noise from higher ISO than a blurry shot with no noise.

In low light you really have to be in manual mode, it's not as scary as it sounds.

My general tactic is to get the motion effect I want first, do I want frozen motion or do I want some blur? Set that with shutter speed then mess around with aperture and ISO to get the exposure I want.

Sometimes you might have to sacrifice the ability to freeze fast motion or having a perfectly clean image to get 90% of the shot you want and just have to call it good enough.

Also, shooting RAW image format can often be a huge help as the larger files can let you pull a lot of details out of the shadows during post processing. I'm not sure if the XTi can shoot RAW though
                    Last edited by Jspradley; 10-04-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I would recommend you shoot during the day and skip the night photos for a little bit. Daytime is going to allow for the faster shutter speeds you need.

Set the ISO on a 200, fix the f-stop and play with the shutter speed.

Comment

Most of my favorite shots were shot in low light, I really like the drama it can add.

IMO the key is to not be afraid of a little noise so don't be afraid to crank up that ISO into the thousands if that's what you need to do to freeze the action!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Junior - I noticed you have a sport mode on that camera as well (its the 3rd setting that looks like someone running). I am really new to photography, But I would try that with a high shutter speed of 1/500 - 1/1000 and play with the ISO starting at 800 and moving up. Best of luck!!

Comment

I will try it next season
                            Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X