Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas
Default I took my grandad hunting

Blant Jones passed in 1973. I wore his upland Duxbak jacket this past weekend in Kansas. Anybody else have a similar story about outdoor gear that has been passed down?

Name:  KJinBJscoat2.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  143.3 KB
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #2
rbsears
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan Co

Ive got a down fleece vest from my grandfather. I wear it when it’s REALLY cold. I never had the opportunity to meet the man. He died before I was born. We still get to hunt together. I’ll meet him one day.
rbsears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:21 PM   #3
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

That’s really cool. My father and I did a lot of quail and pheasant hunting when I was growing up. I have the Filson hunting jacket he bought probably in the mid 60’s. It still has some empty hulls in the pockets and even some crusty wads of feathers in the game bag. I get it out occasionally and just the smell of it makes the memories come flooding back. I also have his favorite quail gun - a Franchi 20 gauge auto loader that is now over 50 years old.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
oldblackmax
Six Point

Hunt In: ballinger

Still have my dads old quail and dove vest
has some patches on it but think of him
every time I look at it
Awesome on ya Bud
oldblackmax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:24 PM   #5
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: currently looking

Cool deal
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #6
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

That's greatness
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:56 PM   #7
3rdCoastHunter
Eight Point

Awesome jacket
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 08:00 PM   #8
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

So cool

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 08:48 PM   #9
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

No pictures but iv shot squirrels with my grandads bolt action .410. I have it and a box of shells my grandad had on his gun rack in his bedroom the day he passed. One day when the wind is blowing right my son (7 yo now) and I will take a stroll and let him shoot something with it and hopefully with my grandads shells also. I also own my grandads 1974 ford courier pickup that I plan on driving to the hunting spot.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 08:57 PM   #10
KGreene
Four Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County

My daughter hunts wearing her great grandfathers red wool jacket . She keeps a turkey feather in the breast pocket he had left there for luck.
KGreene is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:10 PM   #11
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

I wear my grandfather’s belt when bird hunting. My cousin wears his sweater. I shoot my neighbor’s husband’s Citori that I bought off her to keep his memory in the field. The gun is named Ferrel after him.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:20 PM   #12
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

My father in law was like a second father to me. He passed away almost 11 years ago. He left me his Marlin 30-30. I hunt with it on occasion and this year I shot a nice buck with it. When I was on a lease I used to keep a pair of his gloves in the stand all season so he was hunting with me. He was bed ridden his last few months and I was leaving to go hunting in West Texas, he told me he'd give everything he owned to go one more time. I miss him daily.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 PM   #13
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Awesome tribute. I have my Grandfather’s model 12 I hunt with every so often, tear up every time I do.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:30 PM   #14
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Cool. Y’all get any birds?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:45 PM   #15
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

A couple of years ago I finally convinced my uncle to give me my grandfather's deer rifle. It's a Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30. I traded a shotgun for it. We got to talking and realized that the last person to fire it was my grandfather in 1987. I got it all cleaned up and ready to shoot. Had my Dad fire it next. Then I fired it. Took it out to the range and the rifle is an absolute shooter. For sure MOA rifle. I killed a nice buck with it last year. The first deer its killed since my Pa Pa. I hunt with it every year and take him along with me.

Dang it, its misty in here
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:52 PM   #16
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

South zone dove opener last year and grandpas bolt .410 I inherited

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 10:36 PM   #17
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

I have my grandfathers 257 weatherby, he and I used to hunt together on opening morning when I was 12-13. Most memorable part was on cold mornings he gave me some Boone’s Farm. I woke up quick.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 04:12 AM   #18
Louis
Ten Point

Great memories. Pure greatness
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:39 AM   #19
Richard M.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke Co.

When my FIL passed a couple years ago I was given a few of his guns. He was an outdoorsman and all around good guy. My next trip out to the lease I grabbed his Rem 30.06 and an old box of Corelokts. I wasn't sure how well it was sighted in but didn't really care. I figured I would find a target out there and see. I arrived at the lease and was headed to camp to unload the UTV. Before making it to camp I ran into a good sized group of hogs. I stepped out of the truck and loaded the gun thinking they would be gone before I finished, but they stuck around. I lined one up and let it rip sending them scattering in all directions. The 1st one dropped and I proceeded to hit 3 more on the run as they left. I heard a click on the 5th hog due to only loading 4 shells. I have never in my life taken 4 hogs out of a group on my own much less 3 on the run and doubt I ever will again. I just looked up and said "Thanks for the help Bill". I guess that old gun was on that day.
Richard M. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:56 AM   #20
lodgepole
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Little River Bottom

I used to have my Grandy’s old field jacket but it finally fell apart. I wish I still had it. I also have his sea bag from WWII. My son shot a buck with my Grandy’s REM 742 this year. That would be his great grandpas gun. He also shot a doe with his Grandy’s (my dad’s) bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lodgepole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #21
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

That is awesome
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #22
J-5
Six Point

Hunt In: To the wind

I hunted with him for years until cancer took him. Hunted all over the state when I was younger with him and my dad. My aunt made sure all of his guns and equipment disappeared after he died. I doubt I’ll ever see anything of his again, but I’ll hunt with him someday. Those who still have theirs, cherish those hunts. They end too soon, trust us who know from experience.
J-5 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:36 AM   #23
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

I have old hunting clothes of my grandfather and my dad. Both have passed away. I have worn them in the woods. I’ve also hunted with their guns. It makes me feel like part of them is still with me.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:40 AM   #24
Kong
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

My grandfather bought me my Oklahoma lifetime hunting license before he passed and he’s with me every time I hunt In Oklahoma. Every tag I fill I send him a thanks up in heaven, its funny we don’t put much thought into the little things when we’re young but as time passes it’s the little things that make you smile when nobody’s around.
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:48 AM   #25
Bowanta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking in Texas. Hunt in Franklin and Linn County (Unit 11), Kansas

I take my Dad's old Hunting Knife with me on EVERY hunting trip I make. It has been in the woods from South Texas to Eastern Kansas to Central Michigan. I am sure he is shaking his head in disbelief when I was in the woods in -15* weather in Michigan..
Bowanta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 08:23 AM   #26
Guardian Reaper
Six Point

My granddad passed away long before I was born. I ended up with his L.C. Smith double barrel (side by side) 12 guage. When hunting at various times through the years I would take it with me. He bought it in South Carolina and it was used to help feed his family. It will be handed down to my grandsons with the stories that I was told about it.
On another note, my dad never hunted out of state. The one time he tried and planned on a Colorado deer hunt, his employer, Southwestern Bell went on strike several weeks before his trip. He couldn't go. My mother purchased him a really nice knife about 6 months before this happened, to take with him and it stayed in his closet in Texas. My dad never tried to go on another out of state hunt after that and passed away, wishing he had. Every chance I get to hunt outside Texas, I always take that knife along. The knife will get handed down as well.
Guardian Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 08:31 AM   #27
3rdCoastHunter
Eight Point

I also got into duck hunting with my grandfathers REM 1100 12ga. I never had the chance to hunt with him but I know he’d be happy to know I had many a memorable hunt with his old gun.
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #28
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

I have a knife that my grandfather made out of a battle damaged section cut out of a World War II battleship. He gave it to me on my 15th birthday and I passed it along to my son on his 15th. He brought it along on every hunt this year. It definitely keeps him there with us. I cleaned 3 deer with that knife this year. Each time I ran it over the stone a couple of times and on a leather strap a couple and it is scalpel sharp. Steel was definitely much higher quality then.
talltexasshoote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 10:24 AM   #29
ladybluearm
Eight Point

My older brother passed in 1997, mom gave me his shotgun, I use it for dove hunting and the grandson shoots it when he comes to visit.
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #30
Bdub25
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure lefty View Post
I have my grandfathers 257 weatherby, he and I used to hunt together on opening morning when I was 12-13. Most memorable part was on cold mornings he gave me some Boone’s Farm. I woke up quick.
When it was real cold, my pops would let us have a sip of peach schnapps. Warmed us up quick.
Bdub25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #31
jbhlsu
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo, Ozona

Cool post sir...I wear a lot of Fathers old hunting cloths. It does bring back some great memories...
jbhlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 02:54 PM   #32
skeeteroneal
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephens

My son shot this spike this year with his Grandad’s Browning BAR 30-06 he inherited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skeeteroneal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #33
xman59
Pope & Young

have my grand fathers semi 22 he bought new in about 1918-20,,,, not real sure of the date but it was made on the browning 22 patent,,, paw paw as born in 1900, first gun he ever bought, have my dads rem pump 22 he bought when he came home on leave from the Korean war,, still has the cracked stock from when he knocked a horse out with it, even have a sword my uncle found stuck through a rotted tree stump in southern arkansas when he was kid,,, everything points to the civil war that i have found out so far... one of my dads old hunting hats and a couple of his old knives, one of which belonged to his dad
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #34
mdb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hallettsville,Yoakum,New Mexico

What a cool thread. Makes you definitely think before you get rid of some of your old stuff. Not guns.

mdb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2022, 07:56 PM   #35
asu-indian
Ten Point

One bump before I let it die.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:06 PM   #36
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

Great stuff in this thread. Thanks for starting.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #37
geezer56
Eight Point

Hunt In: Georgia

My dad passed about 10 years ago. I inherited all of his guns. I thought about passing them along to my son and two nephews, when I die. Then I thought, what the heck. I don't need them, so I cleaned them all up and parcel them out to the boys. That way I got to see a bunch of grown men cry. I may have had a few allergies myself.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2022, 11:52 PM   #38
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I have my grandpas .22hornet. Great gun!! He told me when I was a kid. That gun would shoot out to a mile. Always know what is behind your target.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2022, 07:44 AM   #39
W-O
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hilda, Tx

My father gave my grandfather a Sears 20ga pump and I remember grandpa hunting doves with it before he died when I was 7. When I was 11 Dad gave it to me and I have hunted dove with it ever since. I did buy a new O/U this year but will never fully retire the old sears shotgun. Dad passed in December and one of the guns I inherited is his custom 270 which I will use this coming year. We were talking this fall and I told him if I were to ever get picked for the grand slam I planned to make hunts with different rifles. His 270, his brother's 308, my mother's brother's 308 and the 243 my mother bought me when I was 12. I sometimes hunt in my uncle's coat and can smell the Redman.
W-O is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2022, 07:59 AM   #40
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

GREAT thread. This to me is what I think about most when I am out hunting and why I love using my Dad's old 30-30 or wearing something that my grandpa passed down to me. Hunting and fishing is about making memories and I love to actually relive them when I am out there and using the tools that were used before me and pass on.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #41
tradman
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson

I inherited my grandfathers .270 modified Mauser action rifle in a game of chance and luck with my brother and 2 male cousins. Long story very very short. All of my grandfathers guns were lost in a house fire. My uncle took the actions and barrels to a guy who “restored” them, basically put new stocks on the unusable metal. The other guns were standard production rifles, but the gun I got was a custom gun and the stock it currently sits on is nowhere near as beautiful as what it had before. Before the fire and after my grandfathers death I killed my first coyote with that gun. I was obsessed with hunting coyotes after that day. Actually went on to do Outdoor Tv and a couple of DVDs based around predator hunting. I still have the gun, but will never be able to use it again.

tradman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #42
asu-indian
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradman View Post
I inherited my grandfathers .270 modified Mauser action rifle in a game of chance and luck with my brother and 2 male cousins. Long story very very short. All of my grandfathers guns were lost in a house fire. My uncle took the actions and barrels to a guy who “restored” them, basically put new stocks on the unusable metal. The other guns were standard production rifles, but the gun I got was a custom gun and the stock it currently sits on is nowhere near as beautiful as what it had before. Before the fire and after my grandfathers death I killed my first coyote with that gun. I was obsessed with hunting coyotes after that day. Actually went on to do Outdoor Tv and a couple of DVDs based around predator hunting. I still have the gun, but will never be able to use it again.

That's an awesome story!
Old 03-09-2022, 06:02 PM   #43
wdixon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Dewitt,Goliad co.

I have my grandfathers 222 mag. a first harvest with that gun has become a right of passage, all of his grandchildren and great grandchildren that hunt have killed their first deer with that gun and it will continue to the next generation also.
wdixon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 09:27 PM   #44
marshhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: El Campo / Brookshire / Pineland

Was given this 16ga SxS around Christmas two years ago. I didn’t even know it existed, but it was originally my great-grandfathers cousin’s. His father purchased it for him after returning home from WW2. My great-grandfather came into possession of it when my great-grandfather’s cousin became extremely ill and his wife gave it to my great-grandfather.

marshhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #45
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

I’ve been known to break out my Browning BLR 243 that my grandpa gave me (killed my first deer with it when I was 8). This year I acquired his Rem 1100lt 20ga and look forward to hunting some doves with it in Sept.

canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #46
Calitexembalmer
Eight Point

All of these story's are great. I love hearing stories like these.
Calitexembalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 12:58 PM   #47
Kong
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

These are some great stories!! I hunt with my grandad in Oklahoma every year since he bought me my Oklahoma lifetime license and gave me the original 440 acres, every deer I’ve taken up there I’ve said a prayer and thanked him for it. His contribution to a 183” deer last year was the best ever since it came from his original stand location, his favorite spot to hunt and I killed it with his old rifle. I cried like a baby when it all happened and it was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. I’d give anything for one more hunt together but we’ll be hunting and fishing again one day soon.
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #48
powderburner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

my pops hunted with a sako finbear deluxe 243 it has a weaver k-4 on top of it. We call it meat in the pot. because when it comes out meat goes in the pot. Its killed tons of critters over the years. I makes special trips about once a year to kill something. Its still a tack driver
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 01:41 PM   #49
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

Not long ago my Dad gave me my Pa Pa's 'old timer' knife. It's the old collapsible 3 blade model. It's been sitting in a drawer for 35 years!

I've also got a knife from my wife's grand father. He was pretty old when I married into the family. But we were both outdoorsman and hit it off real quick. He started inviting me on his annual hunts. I'd haul him up to the blind and clean his deer and just take care of him in generally.

He had a knife engraved with my initials. It had a gut hook on the end of the knife and I broke the blade trying to slip the hip joint on a deer I'd killed. I was so mad I'd done that.

A few years later, he passed away. When we were going through his stuff, I found the exact same knife with his initials engraved on it. And I got to keep it.

So I get to take both of those wonderful old gentlemen to the skinning rack with me now.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2022, 08:29 PM   #50
asu-indian
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
Not long ago my Dad gave me my Pa Pa's 'old timer' knife. It's the old collapsible 3 blade model. It's been sitting in a drawer for 35 years!

I've also got a knife from my wife's grand father. He was pretty old when I married into the family. But we were both outdoorsman and hit it off real quick. He started inviting me on his annual hunts. I'd haul him up to the blind and clean his deer and just take care of him in generally.

He had a knife engraved with my initials. It had a gut hook on the end of the knife and I broke the blade trying to slip the hip joint on a deer I'd killed. I was so mad I'd done that.

A few years later, he passed away. When we were going through his stuff, I found the exact same knife with his initials engraved on it. And I got to keep it.

So I get to take both of those wonderful old gentlemen to the skinning rack with me now.
I've got that exact same Old Timer knife from my grandad who's jacket I'm wearing. He was a cattleman and I can remember him roping and castrating calfs with that knife.