Tracking Dog Pup Help/Advice - Not a Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking Dog Pup Help/Advice - Not a Track

I have said for a while now that the next dog I get will be able to track a deer for me. Although I'm not ready for another animal, I got a call today that the guy I used to use for tracking in Uvalde has some pups. So, I'm considering getting one. I know there is a tracking dog thread and I have started reading that but I have a few specific questions I wanted to ask. I will take any and all input though. The litter I'm looking at has a cur/lacy dad and a pure bloodhound mom.

Breed - This seems to me to be the perfect combo for tracking but I don't know **** about it. But, this combo is why I always told him to let me know if he is having a litter. So what are your opinions on this breed combo for deer tracking?

Breed - This will be a family dog and live in the house, etc. Any issues with this breed combination from that standpoint? Will that affect the effectiveness of tracking ability? I've read where spoiled dogs aren't as good and the fact is most of their life will be spent on the couch. I don't have young kids but I do have 4 kids with the youngest being 13. Additionally, I have 3 other dogs, a cat and now a pig. Any issues there I'm not thinking of given our family situation?

Sex - I have always preferred females for bird dogs (I have had a few) and pets for many reasons including fighting w/ other males, marking territory, etc. and most importantly not having to worry about them in the field (I get them fixed as soon as possible) focusing on the tater instead of the birds. The litter I'm looking at is all males though. I know for the most part it is a personal preference and everyone has their own opinion but any concerns with a male over a female?

Training - Like I said, I'm reading other threads but say I get a pup what do I need? From the dogs I have seen, they don't necessarily track blood so how do you teach that? I have never trained a tracking dog so I'll be starting from scratch. Do you just train them with deer blood and deer legs and then get them on tracks to figure the rest out? I know I would be a little ways away from training but deer season is wrapping up and I may only shoot another deer or 2. If i need to keep parts that would be good to know now. If so, I have seen blood, hides and/or deer legs. Anything else like liver to put on the trail or at the end of the track? I don't see why I couldn't keep it all but I don't want to keep anything that won't help.

I'm welcome to any and all advice but these are the questions I have to start with. I'm sure I will have more but thanks in advance for any help provided.

I forgot to put it in the training question but are there places that do deer tracking training similar to bird and obedience training?

Comment

My best tracking dogs have been daushhunds / wiener dogs, or Labrador
      The wiener dogs due to size need to be leashed till on hot trail , I used both blood and dragging deer legs, using more and more difficult trails, sometimes even using a bamboo pole to break and restart trails , rewarding them with a piece of deer tongue or other treats

Last week we were slamming doe , and let the dog find them every time even though we didn’t need to
      Best o luck
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-05-2022, 11:59 AM.

Comment

I think a lot of dogs can track a bloody trail. From what I’ve seen the difference between a hobby dog and real dog is when the blood trail ends and they have to trail a live deer based on other scents, and ultimately bay up a live buck.

I’ve heard some different methods used, some of which are pretty unconventional but how I started my couch/family/tracking dog mix was to let her track every single deer I could, even when I saw the deer laying dead. I Gave her some easy ones at first and rewarded her immediately, and then started breaking her out with more unknown status shots.

Also rewarding them with a piece of deer meat (the tongue is easy) when they find it seems to help. My dog is far from a real tracking dog, but she’s definitely found a couple so far that I probably wouldn’t have found without her.

Again, the weakness for my dog is tracking a deer that’s still able to run. It would probably not go well. From the real tracking dogs we’ve hired to using my own rookie dog that’s a big difference I’ve seen. And the problem is you never know for sure if the deer is dead or not until it happens. But ultimately, she’s a family member
        that likes to dabble in hunting. Kind of like me.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Every bit helps. TTT for more thoughts.

Comment

I've always preferred females and probably always will. There are plenty of bad *** tracking dogs that are males so think it's just more of a preference thing when it comes to that. My dog is a spoiled house dog but she's tracked and recovered well over 100 probably a little over 150 dead wounded ect. Now she's no professional tracking dog and there's plenty that would run circles around her tracking but she's pretty dang good too.

As far as the breed goes that sounds like a pretty good combo to me. I prefer the curs but a little hound mixed in could never hurt imo.

Comment

dogs are very nose oriented,, some breeds do well at sight and smell..

i have had the occasion to shoot a couple of hogs right out my back door literally on the walk way,,, i had a lab ( my sons dog)and a boxer inside neither trained for hunting or tracking,,, just for grins i opened the back door and turned them out to see how they would react... the lab ran smooth across the blood trail but after a few steps the her nose caught the scent, she put her head down an followed the trail to the already dead hog..
              the boxer has been mostly a companion and guard dog,, we he walked outside he threw his head up and looked around as he usually does ( he has always been exceptionally alert to everything ) he made a bee line straight to the hog and never crossed the blood trail and was waiting when the lab go there...

2nd hog the exact same scenario occurred,,, shot the hog and then opened the door and let both outside,,, this one died about 90 yards away through the trees, but the lab crossed the blood trail returned and tracked it to the hog,,, the boxer threw his head up and ran straight to the hog well out of sight

not sure anyone ever uses aa boxer for a track dog, and i wouldn't have ever chosen one for it either,, the lab had a good blood trail and never wandered off of it but they are known as scent dogs and can do a great job,,, but i have heard no good on them on a still live animal at the end of the track..
              all that to say this,,, i really believe nearly any individual dog can track, and starting them young is a big plus... the little bit i know always rewards good work,,,, liver and heart are frequently given on the kill site , the tongue is a new one on me but no reason i can't believe that works too

good luck with your pup whatever kind it is

Comment

Get this book for starters.
                Attached Files

Comment

I raise and train Catahoula's for blood tracking and like to have a big dog just in case they find one still alive, but I also have a JRT that is a great tracker and use her a bunch. Pick a dog that has good drive and fits in well with other dogs and kids. Do a lot of research before you pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_243 View Post
                    I raise and train Catahoula's for blood tracking and like to have a big dog just in case they find one still alive, but I also have a JRT that is a great tracker and use her a bunch. Pick a dog that has good drive and fits in well with other dogs and kids. Do a lot of research before you pull the trigger.
                    Thanks. I definitely want a bigger dog in the 50-60 lb range. That size dog would fit in better with the family, etc. I had a mini weiner dog that got taken from the yard by an owl and have had other family members lose them to coyotes at home so I don't want to go that small.

For now, I'm just looking at this specific litter. If I don't get something from this litter I'll likely wait a bit and lighten my load at home with kids (going to college) or other animals. This combo just seems like exactly what I'm looking for and the guy that has them was going specifically for a deer tracking dog with this litter. Ive seen his dogs work as they have found a few deer for me and they have always been top notch.

Comment

Do a lot of research before you pull the trigger.
                      This. Right. Here.

We just got a new pup and I did SOME research before she made it home but adding to that and being even more prepared would have been even better. Just cause its a good deal doesn't mean you should jump on it, especially with small kids. My daughter is about to turn 9 and we are doing ok so far lol check back in a couple month though....

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I am on my 2nd tracking dog, and have my name on for a 3rd. This is my opinion and advice.

You can almost train any dog. The reason I buy purpose bred dog, is for the longer 1 mile plus tracks. Any dog can track, but how many dogs have the drive to push through a couple hours on a single track.

Breed: I would not ever own a full bloodhound. Even being half bloodhound may be to much for me. Since they will be living in the house, I can not deal with a drooling dog anymore after my last boxer lol. But I bet that dog will be a tracking fool w/ hound/lacy/cur. Just living in the house would be my only issue.

Would you be tracking on leash or by gps collar?

Sex: Females usually mature faster, so they usually pick it up quicker in my experience.

Get the book above and read. My first dachshund what out of Born to Track breeders.

Keep the training fun and light from a young age. Start with liver drags to let them learn the game, then expand from there.

Goodluck.

Comment

Have you heard of Duvall Catahoula's? I have my name on a possible pup from him in the future. This will be my first Catahoula.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                            I am on my 2nd tracking dog, and have my name on for a 3rd. This is my opinion and advice.

You can almost train any dog. The reason I buy purpose bred dog, is for the longer 1 mile plus tracks. Any dog can track, but how many dogs have the drive to push through a couple hours on a single track.

Breed: I would not ever own a full bloodhound. Even being half bloodhound may be to much for me. Since they will be living in the house, I can not deal with a drooling dog anymore after my last boxer lol. But I bet that dog will be a tracking fool w/ hound/lacy/cur. Just living in the house would be my only issue.

Would you be tracking on leash or by gps collar?

Sex: Females usually mature faster, so they usually pick it up quicker in my experience.

Get the book above and read. My first dachshund what out of Born to Track breeders.

Keep the training fun and light from a young age. Start with liver drags to let them learn the game, then expand from there.

Goodluck.
                            Thanks for all of the info. The drool is a small concern but our house is never clean with 4 kids, 3 other dogs, a cat and now a pig. I really wasn't in the market for another dog just yet but the breed combo really intrigues me for blood tracking and I can't see how it wouldn't be a tracking fool like you said.

I am also a believer and letting a dog do what they are bred to do. You are correct just about any individual dog can probably do it but starting with a dog that has more innate ability should be a benefit/bonus, especially to a newbie.

I haven't thought to much about leash vs collar. My initial thought is leash so I learn with the dog and pick up their mannerisms. With that said, all I have ever seen is dogs on gps and I would hate to be the dogs limiting factor to finding animals by being tethered to me and not fully exploring where the trail goes. So with that said, I'm really thinking gps is the way to go but I'm not locked in on either. We are out of the S Texas brush now so shin oak and some briar is really all that we would have to deal with.

I agree on the females. That is another reason I usually do females. But I have had male dogs in the past and really enjoyed them. If fixed I don't think there is a lot of difference.

The more I read, the more I like the liver drags. I will definitely start that way, especially if we can get at least 1 more deer on the ground for liver, blood and deer feet. I may have to try to get 2 before end of season.

Comment

Working...
                            X