Jeep to replace Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeep to replace Ranger

I'm not there just yet but I have a 2008 Ranger XP 700 that still runs great. A few bushings replaced and rewiring where rats chewed wire but nothing major. I have looked at new Ranger and Mule prices and sticker shock was in order. Has anyone replaced a side by side with an older Jeep or similar ride? I can replace with Jeep type vehicle for 1/3 to maybe 1/2 the cost and might even get a heater and ac that works. Just looking for options when the time comes. I only have 50 acres but lots of rock and a few hills to maneuver at times. Good hunting everyone.

I replaced my ‘11 Ranger with a TJ. After six months, I bought a Defender. That Jeep was way too rough and not nearly as handy.

Comment

Jeep’s are great for slow rolling and driving on the road if that’s something you need. Rangers etc are much more mobile, smoother/faster off road, and easier to get in and out of. I have both and definitely prefer the ranger as a hunting vehicle. Mule deer hunt next week in West Texas, Jeep will be left at the house, can cover much more ground comfortably in the ranger.

Comment

I would probably never get out of first gear. I never go fast anyway. You are right, Ranger is smooth and you can just step right out. Jeep entry and exit is no quick move for some of us "mature" folks. Maybe I am just trying to justify a Jeep because of cost. Those prices though for the side by side are just ridiculous, nice or not.
        Last edited by txlawdog; 12-02-2021, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I’m gettin ready to sale my ‘17 Yamaha Viking and buy a Jeep to use at the lease and to tool around in on the weekends
          The Jeep has heat and ac and it won’t sit, unused, in the garage for 10 dang months out of the year

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
            I’m gettin ready to sale my ‘17 Yamaha Viking and buy a Jeep to use at the lease and to tool around in on the weekends
            The Jeep has heat and ac and it won’t sit, unused, in the garage for 10 dang months out of the year
            Makes sense. I go to my place quite often and would use the Jeep every trip. I'm only 90 minutes to the gate so it's not like a long journey. I really don't even need one that is street legal, unless I wanted to run to town for something and not take the one ton.

Comment

after i lost my atv in hurricane Harvey the wife wanted me to buy a nice side by side,,, after pricing them i told her we needed to look for a used jeep,,, i found an 88 yj, and bought it for 2000$,, drove it the 50 miles home and have been driving it ever since,, it turned out to have a brand new transfer case that had never been engaged!
              a 2.5 motor pushes it anywhere i have tried to go, and since the lease is close i can drive it over their and back home daily, i just put a brand new soft top and frame, and have changed the alternator about 6 months ago,,, counting new mud grips roof and alternator i have a total of about 3500$ in it,, and the wife loves to ride around the lease in it,,, so it has been a win win for me all the way,,,

Comment

Back when I had my lease in Newton I was looking for a SXS & found a smokin’ deal on a Jeep Liberty. It has power windows, ac, heat, 4wheel drive, lifted & painted camo[emoji23][emoji23]. During season I left all my hunting stuff in it & ready to go. That way if I decided on whim to go hunt, I just jumped in & went. Didn’t have to load anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                  after i lost my atv in hurricane Harvey the wife wanted me to buy a nice side by side,,, after pricing them i told her we needed to look for a used jeep,,, i found an 88 yj, and bought it for 2000$,, drove it the 50 miles home and have been driving it ever since,, it turned out to have a brand new transfer case that had never been engaged!
                  a 2.5 motor pushes it anywhere i have tried to go, and since the lease is close i can drive it over their and back home daily, i just put a brand new soft top and frame, and have changed the alternator about 6 months ago,,, counting new mud grips roof and alternator i have a total of about 3500$ in it,, and the wife loves to ride around the lease in it,,, so it has been a win win for me all the way,,,
                  Yes sir, sounds like a win win for you. Maybe I should look at mini trucks while I'm not needing anything right away. You are right about the prices of side by sides, just can't justify it.

Comment

Add I just saw on a Ranger site.
                    Have a 21 ranger crew 1000. Just over 50 hrs, and both services done by the dealer. I have records if needed. Has factory doors and a factory tip out windshield. Has the oem poly rear windshield. Also has a probox top with LEDs. This has never seen water or mud. All backroads and deer lease roads. Asking $33,000. Will meet within a reasonable distance. Will not be available until the week 1/3 as I use it at the deer lease. Message me with any questions.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

I was in the market for a side by side, but not in the market on them prices!!! I bought a 95 Wrangler hard top with 5th gear shot and no a/c, for $4500. I notched out the front tube bumper and installed a winch, added some LED light strips on roof interior (disconnects on the wiring of I wanna remove top). Nice and bright inside for rummaging through all my bowhunting mess. Added a 50" inch light bar. I replaced the halogen headlights with modern LEDs. Much brighter and white light!!! I pulled the fender flares and installed wider ones and removed the 2 inch wheel spacers. You couldn't drive ten feet in mud and not completely cover the Jeep. That might have been fun back in my younger days, but not so much now. It goes everywhere that I need it to go, and places that I really shouldn't. The good thing is, I can drive straight off the lease and head to town if I wanted. I don't beat it up and dog it, but I don't baby it around the briars and limbs. I use it for the reason that I bought it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

I miss mine. Had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I still use the Ranger EV on most trips. I did build out a Rubicon a couple years ago and it is nice for longer outings or hauling more corn, people etc.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X