Golf cart question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf cart question

I found what I think is a pretty good deal on a cart. That being said it needs new batteries. It’s only purpose would be to live at the deer lease and drive me back and forth to the deer stand. We have a Ranger to use on work weekends. I see golf cart batteries specifically are very expensive. Could I just buy 4 12 volt deep cycle batteries for a fraction of the price and use them instead? Would they hold a charge long enough for me to get around on a weekend? The cart does come with a charger that I could hook them up to. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
    I found what I think is a pretty good deal on a cart. That being said it needs new batteries. It’s only purpose would be to live at the deer lease and drive me back and forth to the deer stand. We have a Ranger to use on work weekends. I see golf cart batteries specifically are very expensive. Could I just buy 4 12 volt deep cycle batteries for a fraction of the price and use them instead? Would they hold a charge long enough for me to get around on a weekend? The cart does come with a charger that I could hook them up to. Thanks in advance!

You can but it’s really isn’t that much more money in the long run.

(6) 8volt rolls batteries is about $750-$800
    And will last 5-6 years or more depending on usage and maintenance and power your cart for about 20-25 miles. The marine batteries won’t last that long.
    Im not 100% sure but I don’t think you can connect your 48v charger to the (4) 12v batteries. You’ll have to unhook them since they’ll be in series and charge them with a trickle charger possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Your range will be shorter with the 4x12 set up. How far are you talking on a round trip to and from the stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tanto View Post
        Your range will be shorter with the 4x12 set up. How far are you talking on a round trip to and from the stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Farthest stand is probably 2-3 miles one way. Camp is right in the center of the place so that helps. It may be smarter to just buy the batteries made for it but I hate to pay that much for something to get used 20-30 times a year and then have to get replaced after a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
          You can but it’s really isn’t that much more money in the long run.

(6) 8volt rolls batteries is about $750-$800
          And will last 5-6 years or more depending on usage and maintenance and power your cart for about 20-25 miles. The marine batteries won’t last that long.
          Im not 100% sure but I don’t think you can connect your 48v charger to the (4) 12v batteries. You’ll have to unhook them since they’ll be in series and charge them with a trickle charger possibly.

I’ve never owned a cart nor do I know anything about them so I don’t want this to come across as rude or sarcastic. I’m being completely serious when I ask is that because the batteries are not made for the cart? I know with the current 4 12 volts (actual golf cart batteries) you can just plug it in and it charges fine. Is that because they are made differently or what?

Comment

It would be best to buy a golf cart specific batteries or pony up and go lithium to start with.
            If you go lithium you will be rid of the maintenance problem of led acid batteries, lack of maintenance is usually the downfall of golf cart batteries.
            Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
              I’ve never owned a cart nor do I know anything about them so I don’t want this to come across as rude or sarcastic. I’m being completely serious when I ask is that because the batteries are not made for the cart? I know with the current 4 12 volts (actual golf cart batteries) you can just plug it in and it charges fine. Is that because they are made differently or what?

I think it’s the amps and way they are charged. 48 Volts is 48 volts but I’m pretty sure they are charged differently

Comment

I think it’s the amps and way they are charged. 48 Volts is 48 volts but I’m pretty sure they are charged differently

Gotcha. Thanks

Comment

The guy i got my batteries from owns a golf cart shop and is a big time hunter and told me for rough terrain and hills don’t cheap out on the batteries, they leave you stranded.

You can get a set of Duracell golf cart batteries from Sams club pretty cheap. But he said they don’t last nearly as long as Trojan or Rolls.

By the way you’ll like using the cart for hunting. I have a stand thats 3 miles from camp, take about 10 minutes to get to it… But very sneaky
                  I use mine for hog hunting a lot too.

Comment

His that is a nice looking cart.

Comment

Golf cart question

4x12V batteries will noticeably less run time than 6x8v batteries. Also golf cart specific batteries will have longer run time.

I just did a lithium conversion on mine and will NEVER go back to lead acid and all the issues that have/cause.

Comment

The guy i got my batteries from owns a golf cart shop and is a big time hunter and told me for rough terrain and hills don’t cheap out on the batteries, they leave you stranded.

You can get a set of Duracell golf cart batteries from Sams club pretty cheap. But he said they don’t last nearly as long as Trojan or Rolls.

By the way you’ll like using the cart for hunting. I have a stand thats 3 miles from camp, take about 10 minutes to get to it… But very sneaky
                        I use mine for hog hunting a lot too.

That’s a slick looking little buggy! It would definitely be in some pretty hilly and treacherous terrain. Looks like good batteries are the way to go.

Comment

What’s the price difference to go lithium?

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          4x12V batteries will noticeably less run time than 6x8v batteries. Also golf cart specific batteries will have longer run time.

I just did a lithium conversion on mine and will NEVER go back to lead acid and all the issues that have/cause.

Comment

Golf cart question

Originally posted by JWF View Post
                            What’s the price difference to go lithium?

Last lead acid Trojans I bought I pad $1200’ish for the 105Ah extended run time models (6x8v). This was in 2014. Max run distance was 15-17 miles in west Texas somewhat hilly terrain.

I bought (2) Nissan Leaf Gen 3 packs off eBay with a claimed 96% life left for $1500 shipped. I have 176Ah of capacity now. You will have to have a different charger for lithium. Supposedly I can get 30-35 miles of run time in similar conditions with the lithium batteries.

Comment

I recently paid $956 for new continental batteries. I got 4 years out of my last set. I let mine go dry because I didn’t pay close enough attention to the water in the batteries. I would strongly recommend you check the water level every month. As long as they don’t run dry, you’ll get 5-6 years no problem

Comment

Working...
                              X