No announcement yet.

Tell me about this bow- Red Wing Hunter from Wing Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That picture I posted gets worse every time I look at it, some problem hosting with photobucket I don't understand.

Here's the RWH, camo-Krylon camo and rigged for hunting.

Probably 35 years young, and shoots and shoots and shoots.

It drives my son crazy for some reason, but I use a black sharpie and put my name, phone # and "Reward for return" on ALL my gear, I have not lost any since I started to say if it works or not.

Comment

Well? How's it shoot?

Comment

My limbs are defintly twisted "top and bottom" the string won't even set in the grooves in the center of the limbs...

Comment

Mail it to me, I'll safely dispose of it in accordance with all environmental and safety and dietary laws.

Or, find somebody who is good with trad bows, and have them try to twist the limbs in the other direction. Be careful with heat, too much will cause the glue holding the limbs together to come apart.

Comment

Bill has given you the wrong address. You need to send it to me and I'll see if it's worth saveing................

Comment

Somebody fix it for him. The world will be a little bit better with yet 1 more Red Wing Hunter shooting arrows again after a long sleep. if I could, I'd offer but I've never straightened a seriously twisted limb.

Comment

Did you ever get the RWH to somebody to straighten out the limbs? If not, do you want to sell it as-is?

I feel like I'm in the "Red Wing Hunter Rescue" organization. A friend in the archery club just told me he has a 50# RWH on sale for $100 if I want it. How can I say "no"?

Comment

Robert; I`ve owned about 7 RWH bows thru the years,the first one I bought new in 1964 new for $34.95. If you need a string just PM me and I`ll build you one. I live on the north side of Lake Georgetown, on FM 3405. You are more than welcome to come out.

I think your wrong,Bill,about RWH`s being the best. I think it would be the Wing C 2 takedown. I loaned mine to a man that flat refused to return it as he liked it so well. He gave me a pair of Zeiss binoculars for it and I still think I got the raw end of that deal. But he was a great guy and it did fit him well.

Comment

Draco, I can't compare because in 40 years, the only recurves I've ever owned were RWH's!

I need to call Mike and tell him I'll buy the 50# one for $100. Red Wing Hunter Rescue in action again!

Comment

Well, I have #3 RWH committed to purchase. I need to make a RWR- Red Wing Rescue logo for my garage.

Some people collect ceramic owls.

Comment

Well, a big cup of coffee, 20 minutes and loud country music on the home stereo, and here it is.

I see another T shirt for the archery range coming.

I should be in sales and marketing. Oh yeah, I already am.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RWH rescue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	23828994

Comment

Looks good Bill, I am wanting to get one for my son, but I need to know when, or what years, of bows to get. as for the ones that bob made ? What year did he stop going by Red wing? Thanks for any help you have. Moon

Comment

I'm not an expert on the history and what year Bob Lee sold Wing to AMF. My experience is with a pre-AMF RWH (no quiver holes in the riser) and an AMF-built RWH (threaded holes in the riser) and to me, they shoot the same. To 'serious' collectors, there is a subtle difference. I do not have the serial #s for individual years of manufacture.

If I were looking for one, my suggestion is that the condition of the bow, all other things being equal, is the most important.

When I bought my 1st in '68, the salesman at Robin Hood Archery told me (I'll never forget) that while I could work my way into a heavier bow and shoot it well, at low 40s bow would kill any deer, and if I stopped shooting and later wanted to pickup archery again, the bow would be easy enough to draw to not discourage me from shooting. The guy was right.

If you're a craigslist-shopper, the web site crazedlist.com lets you search multiple regional CL web sites at once. Occassionally they come-up on CL, and I've seen them on eBay, caveat emptor.
                            Last edited by Bill; 02-24-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I'm glad I came across this thread. I was helping a friend clean out his folks house to be sold, and noticed a bow sitting on a table in the garage. I told him I had one similar when I was younger and he insisted I take it. The bow belonged to his dad who passed away a few years ago and said he was glad it would go to someone that would use it.

The bow I have is identical to the one in the photo with the red background in reply #3.

58"
                              RW8524
                              45#

I am definatly not a bow expert, but the bow seems to be in great condition and has no aparent twisting of the limbs. I have shot it a few times and it shoots great. I won't shoot it again until I get a stringer. If anyone has an idea based on the SN when this could have been manufactured or any other info I'd appreciate it. Sounds like I owe my friend lunch at the very least.

Comment

I am a bow maker who lives just south of Austin. Manchaca area. Fairly familiar with those bows. Be glad to take a look at that old beuty and tell ya what I think. Give me a call. 512 940 3098. Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X