Speed vs. poundage Q?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Extremebowman View Post
    Thanks for the input. I guess my ultimate question is that if there are bows out there that will spit an arrow out at 280 fps at 60 lbs, why am I pullin 72? I may try playing with arrow weight to get my current rig draw down while keeping 280 fps.

Plus, I can't help it, I'm never satisfied with my toys, I gotta tinker with everything. The whole "is there a better mousetrap" question I guess

BTW - I love this new forum!
    I have been looking along the same lines. I've got a 28" draw length. If a bow is reated at 350 IBO (with a 350 gr arrow at 30" draw), and dropping it 10 lbs for each inch taken off IBO should equal 330 with a 350gr arrow at 70 lbs for me. If you take another 15 lbs draw weight off (so that I would draw 55 lbs), the IBO for a 350 gr arrow should drop to 300 fps. (10 fps loss for each 5 lbs reduction in draw weight).

And a 350 gr arrow @ 300 fps = 70 foot lbs of KE .

This is all in theory of course . Actual speeds would prob be slightly slower due to string loop, peep, ect. So I have been shopping for a bow with a minimum of 330 fps IBO .

Comment

That's kinda the direction I was headin too Mike. I can draw 70 without any problem, but why should I if I can get the same "performance" out of a new bow at less #'age.

OK, I have to admit, part of this is I am trying to justify a new rig

Comment

If its just for 3-D, I'd say that was enough justification. If it was just for hunting, and your getting older, or have had injuries, I'd say that was enough for justification. If it was for any other reason, such as shooting 10 year old technology, I'd say that was enough justification . Thats why I've been shopping . I've got 2, maybe 3 bows in the top running at the present, of the 7 bow models I've tried. And a few more models to shoot if I can. A few I've shot from two different dealers, just to see if there was any difference, and there was on a couple. But I'm not going to name bow names or where I shot them here .

One other thing, the Destroyer 350 is actually rated for 342-350 according to BT, if that makes any difference
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-04-2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X