• Time
  • Show
Clear All

High end hunting gear = high end birds

Wear that bass pro stuff, all you get is scaup and coot

Nice canvasback!

Comment

Originally posted by Short Mag View Post
      Congrats! Are they rare or do you just not get them in your area? We have them on our pond regular but I've never shot them. Mainly because the wife says not to kill her ducks but the one Sunday almost got killed. Lucky for it the Cowboys came on and saved its life. Looking back I should have killed the duck and not watched the game.
      They are rare where I hunt. No, I wouldn't call them a rare bird in general in some areas. The storm widgeon is either a color phase of North American widgeons or a cross between a Eurasian widgeon and a North American widgeon. A Eurasian widgeon was killed this weekend in the same area apparently. The difference is subtle, but it's the lighter head that identifies it.

Comment

Congrats! That was one of the first ducks I ever shot. I had no idea what they really where trophy wise. Gave it to the guy I hunted with as I always do. Never shot or seen another one since. That was back in the late 80's.

Comment

Those are two really nice birds! I only have one Canvasback in all my years of duck hunting. Congrats. My next bucket list duck is a King Eider off of St. Paul island!

Comment

Very cool looking bird. Congrats again

Comment

Awesome birds! Shot my first can a few years ago. Never got it back from the taxi. Had 3 come in on opening weekend this year and got one. Canvasbacks are very particular about where they like to be. Water and vegetation have to be just right. I was shocked that they came into a ratty ol marsh pond. Must've been the spoony decoys that got em That widgeon is something else!

Comment

Beautiful bird! I've only killed one myself...

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  They are rare where I hunt. No, I wouldn't call them a rare bird in general in some areas. The storm widgeon is either a color phase of North American widgeons or a cross between a Eurasian widgeon and a North American widgeon. A Eurasian widgeon was killed this weekend in the same area apparently. The difference is subtle, but it's the lighter head that identifies it.
                  I wonder how many of those Ive killed because that looks like a regular ole wigeon to me. I cant tell the diff but they sure are pretty and fun to shoot!

Comment

Originally posted by stringmusic View Post
                    I wonder how many of those Ive killed because that looks like a regular ole wigeon to me. I cant tell the diff but they sure are pretty and fun to shoot!
                    Probably none if you can't tell the difference. That one isn't full blown storm, but is whiter under the eyestripe than most. I wouldn't really consider it a storm.

I've seen 2 killed similar to the ops, but never a true storm.
                    Last edited by snappertapper; 01-18-2022, 09:00 PM.

Comment

The fastest ducks so I’m told

Comment

Originally posted by stringmusic View Post
                        It is a regular ole widgeon, not a storm or a eurasian

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I never knew till now that I wanted to shoot a storm widgeon and see a picture of a storm widgeon. Very cool name.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                            I never knew till now that I wanted to shoot a storm widgeon and see a picture of a storm widgeon. Very cool name.
                            This is what the ones I have seen look like. Click image for larger version

Name:	76FF961F-6290-4754-B29D-44398FC51E26.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	24674357

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I gotta see this “storm widgeon”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              This is what a prime Eurasian widgeon looks like.

Comment

Working...
                              X