Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever raised worms on a large scale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever raised worms on a large scale?

When we bought our place there were several large commercial worm beds in the barn that had never been used. They are about 3x10 and 18 inches deep. Years ago the previous owner had a commercial bait operation in a barn that washed away during the flood. I’m thinking about setting one of them up and seeing how it goes. I live on the river, so endless bait would be awesome. My grandpa always had an old freezer full of dirt that was loaded with worms. He pretty much ignored them other than some scraps every now and then, so it can’t be that hard. Looking to see what others have done.

tagged

Comment

When I was a kid a guy used to do it, fed them old coffee grounds. Look pretty easy. Just need a place to find worms.

Comment

I have spots on my 2.5 ac. where I don't rake or mulch leaves. If I want worms, I just rake a small spot and I will have about 6 every spot I rake. Then I cover the spots back up with leaves. Most areas have a lot of shade. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
          I have spots on my 2.5 ac. where I don't rake or mulch leaves. If I want worms, I just rake a small spot and I will have about 6 every spot I rake. Then I cover the spots back up with leaves. Most areas have a lot of shade. Works for me.
          That works in east texas. If you take back 1 inch around here it’s all rocks

Comment

If anyone says they have they are straight up lying. Way too much ivermectin being consumed on here to ever have a chance of growing worms

Comment

We had 4 old bathtubs with holes drilled in the bottom that we kept worms for fishing, supplementing the garden, and feeding the chickens.

We would just throw food scraps in there to feed them. Fruits, veggies, and other organic scraps/matter. Make sure the soil stays moist but not saturated and doesn’t get to hot or too cold. Turn the soil over about one a month or so. Pretty easy to keep really.

Comment

We grunted worms up in my mom's flowerbeds years ago. It was unbelievable what we got to crawl out of the dirt when we rubbed a stick on another stick shoved in the ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10353167_10203850995469794_7468655727136500226_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	24673869

Comment

I have ordered worms from Jims before to add to my compost pile.

Over 40 years of Red Wigglers Worm Composting experience. We sell live red wiggler worms, worm composting bins and other vermicomposting supplies.

Comment

My cousin had a couple of large galvanized water troughs filled with dirt where he would dig for them when fishing. Not sure how much care he gave them, but they were plentiful.

Comment

My grandfather had worm beds. He would have us count worms and put them in the container and we would deliver to marinas and convenient stores. He had a yellow powder he would feed them. I'm not sure what that was though. He bought worms in Lampasas to put in his beds.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                        We had 4 old bathtubs with holes drilled in the bottom that we kept worms for fishing, supplementing the garden, and feeding the chickens.

We would just throw food scraps in there to feed them. Fruits, veggies, and other organic scraps/matter. Make sure the soil stays moist but not saturated and doesn’t get to hot or too cold. Turn the soil over about one a month or so. Pretty easy to keep really.
                        This what I was kinda thinking. I want it to be fairly easy. I’ve got very little free time to use for upkeep.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                          We grunted worms up in my mom's flowerbeds years ago. It was unbelievable what we got to crawl out of the dirt when we rubbed a stick on another stick shoved in the ground.

[ATTACH]1076785[/ATTACH]
                          I’ve wanted to try this but never have

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post

[ATTACH]1076785[/ATTACH]
                            Always wondered if that really worked. seen it on youtube but never tried it

Comment

Have you posted about this before? I believe I have read a similar post about this. Might be some useful info in that post as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X