No announcement yet.

Muzzle Loader Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma muzzleloader season is only 9 days, and I leave my gun loaded until I shoot a deer or get ready to come home. I just remove the primer between hunts, but I do use a new primer every time I “reload” the gun. I’ve been using this same procedure for almost 20 years and never had an issue with ignition or accuracy.

Comment

I use one of these to unload mine. I shoot a cap lock with a patched round ball. I have no idea if it would work on an in-line.

Prior to using this pneumatic unloader, I would just fire my rifle to unload it. Left it loaded one time on a three day hunt and on the third day I drew down on a doe and fired. There was a very noticeable delay in the firing. I didn’t miss but I also didn’t hit where I aimed. I also never bring it in out of the cold if it’s still loaded for fear that the barrel could sweat and wet the powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
        I’ve seen where guys go weeks but as mentioned you do take a risk

Leave it in for our short MZ season & then just shoot the gun when done
        This

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I remove breech plug and remove pellets and sabot. Shot this buck yesterday with the same pellets and sabot. If you see no visible damage to the sabot I see no reason it would cause an issue. For you folks thinking about getting a muzzleloader I have been very impressed with the cva wolf and it won't break the bank.
          Attached Files

Comment

I've been hunting with muzzleloaders since the '70s. I do not unload every night, I just remove the primer. I've never had any problems going a week or more without unloading. I've done the same with my sidelocks with black powder, as well as my inline with pyrodex or 777 pellets.

Comment

Working...
            X