No announcement yet.

Aoudad hunting advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot my one and only ram with a .243, put it on the crease @ 80 yds and sent it, he didn’t make it 40 yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aoudad View Post
      The pump station is lower and more forward than a deer. High shoulder you may only catch one lung especially if it’s quartering hard…. Just my experience.

Plus high chest shot may not bleed as much. They have a big chest cavity to fill blood up with. Lower holes on the chest the blood will drain quicker if you have to track it.
      Makes sense. Always some risk with a high shoulder shot. Ive had one go bad that I pulled a couple inches back. Deer lived though.

Comment

Originally posted by smacha538 View Post
        Shoot them. A lot of them. Often. So you don’t end up with this bull****.

I'd shoot some for ya. Even pay for the privilege...

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          Makes sense. Always some risk with a high shoulder shot. Ive had one go bad that I pulled a couple inches back. Deer lived though.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	30BE9D2A-3761-4A84-BDDB-2F8A1B35659E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	24673550

This is dead nuts heart shot…. He went 15 yards and piled up dead in less than a minute……

Comment

[QUOTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

You need some help dealing with that BS?

Comment

About right here! 100gr, 3 blade muzzy. Went about 65 yds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5F7D9D11-6088-4D53-B9E8-C10C5581BFCF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	24673554

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehuntress View Post
                I have an Aoudad hunt scheduled for Mid February. Any advice when it comes to shot placement on these guys? I know Axis vitals are farther forward than a whitetail. Do you try to break shoulders so they cant run?

Any advice for a first time Aoudad hunter?

Thanks in advance!
                Oh wow! That's so cool, Lady! I'm almost jealous! I'm sure if someone gave you a dime size spot to shoot at, you'd hit it! Is KiKi going with you or is this a solo?

Comment

You won’t have any problem finding some help with that problem on here. Just say the word… [emoji6]

Comment

Yeah they are a pain , my bosses nephew shot a good one with a British.303 200gn Remington cor-loc and bled heavy till blood trail
                    Went off a cliff
                    Attached Files

Comment

I shot mine high in the shoulder and he folded up right there, but be ready for a follow up shot no matter what. I wasn’t willing to risk him making it over the ridge to the next canyon after all the hiking/climbing we’d done for 3 days. It was a little higher than I intended, but was only an 80 yard shot and my .300WM is sighted in 1” high at 200 yards.

Comment

I killed two with one shot from my 7mm RSAUM at 183 yards. The 140 TTSX went through both shoulders of the first one and hit the second one in the head. DRT. The unluckiest aoudad on the ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                          I killed two with one shot from my 7mm RSAUM at 183 yards. The 140 TTSX went through both shoulders of the first one and hit the second one in the head. DRT. The unluckiest aoudad on the ranch.

That is a STOUT bullet!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            That is a STOUT bullet!

Yep, I love that bullet. The woman I was guiding at the time was 8 months pregnant and shot a 300 Weatherby. There were 8 in this bunch if I remember correctly and she shot that ram in his bed. Never moved. I always told her I married wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                              I think caliber of rifle (I'm assuming here) might be more important than exact bullet placement.
                              Wait, what?

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                                Wait, what?

My point was that they are stout and using a larger caliber will give you a little more leeway on exact shot placement. The lighter the hammer, the more precise the strike. Sledge hammers can do damage with a less than perfect swing vs a ball peen hammer Carry on.
                                Since the .270 has been cited as the weapon of choice, how about considering a 150 gr vs 130.

Comment

Working...
                                X