No announcement yet.

How to make a gutting table/rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping this OLD thread because I think I could really use one of these little tables! Does anyone have any recent plans for one of these? For those that use them do you have any suggestions on ways to improve them? Planning to build one soon. Thanks!

Comment

That’s a pretty nifty rig! I think I’ll put one together but leave the “head” end about a foot taller that the other end so guts will roll out easier.

Comment

I do the gutless method now when I can. I do my own processing and get the same amount of meat as if I would have field dressed. Hang, skin, cut out the backstraps(and I just keep cutting as far into the neck as I can to have as long a piece of meat as I can for each strap cut) cut the shoulders off(use a sawzaw to zip off just above the joint, before detaching shoulders). Make a small incision to let the guts fall down to get the tenderloins IF the guts haven't been punctured. I also take the hole neck and cut off with sawzaw and throw in cooler. take trimmings from the outside ribs and brisket and put in freezer bag and leave open on top of ice in cooler. Then just cut of right below hind quarters and let the ribs and deboned spine part fall in bucket. Split your hind quarters, cut off legs w/ saw zaw. Done. No chance of getting cuts or anything on any of the meat. Similar to what they do with elk, except your probably taking more.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
          I gutted several deer & hogs last weekend with one and they do make it lots easier. If where you'll use it doesn't have enough slope, I'd build it slanted to help the innards flow outwards.

[ATTACH]1521[/ATTACH]
          Putting the old water hose to the deer or hog after gutting is part of the reason people think venison taste gamey. Really should be last resort, and you can get around this, by doing gutless. Water just spreads bacteria all over your meat. Even better to wipe out with a rag or heavy paper towels, vs. hosing it down.

Comment

The Walmart parking lot method doesn't work anymore???

Comment

I can’t imagine trying to gut one laying down like that! Hanging by the hind legs is the way to go for me!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

we build ours out of treated deck boards.....put a flat board in the middle of the v....about 4 feet long.....wheels are a good adddition....

Comment

This is straight out of the outdoor annual app:

I don’t see how a ticket issued for not keeping rib or neck meat could ever stick!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Maybe in 2006 when this post was started the law was different.

Comment

This is what we use. Comes in handy for caping also.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                        I do the gutless method now when I can. I do my own processing and get the same amount of meat as if I would have field dressed. Hang, skin, cut out the backstraps(and I just keep cutting as far into the neck as I can to have as long a piece of meat as I can for each strap cut) cut the shoulders off(use a sawzaw to zip off just above the joint, before detaching shoulders). Make a small incision to let the guts fall down to get the tenderloins IF the guts haven't been punctured. I also take the hole neck and cut off with sawzaw and throw in cooler. take trimmings from the outside ribs and brisket and put in freezer bag and leave open on top of ice in cooler. Then just cut of right below hind quarters and let the ribs and deboned spine part fall in bucket. Split your hind quarters, cut off legs w/ saw zaw. Done. No chance of getting cuts or anything on any of the meat. Similar to what they do with elk, except your probably taking more.
                        This^^^^ gutting is just more work for no reason in my opinion.

Comment

When you compare yourself to a Native American there is always waste !
                          Last edited by Voodoo; 01-04-2022, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I with you guys, it is so easy to use one of theses skinning/gutting racks (and cleaner) vs. hanging.

Comment

Wow. I’ve had some old threads resurrected before but 15 years ago has to be a record!

Comment

Well, I am glad it was.

It reminded me I need to get another one of these fab’ed up.

Comment

Working...
                                X