No announcement yet.

Favorite Youth Caliber - Deer and Pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.223 is available everywhere as well, but I like more knockdown power. Have a 6.5 creed more and .224 but can’t get ammo for them.

Comment

.243 suppressed.

Comment

Started my boys off plinking with a 22 Henry lever action. Their first pigs were shot with a Ruger compact 77 in 223, first deer with Ruger number one in 22-250. At 20 and 24 they both will still shoot their 22-250’s.

Comment

22-250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If i got one vote 243....and they do have a lite ammo someplace..to soften it ever more...Some kids are more Muz blast shy than recoil..so ear protection is a must...And consider letting them shoot standing,that softens the recoil quite a bit.(and gives them a little dose of felt recoil)the first few shots just to give them a stepping stone to Bench recoil which is more felt ...Accuracy on standing shots is not issue just gives them confidence that its recoil is OK.

Comment

H started off with a .300 blackout at age 8, zero felt recoil. It's like shooting a .22 and he was able to man handle the gun as it has a short LOP and a 16" barrel. He has been shooting the Barnes 110 grain Tac-TX rounds with great success. We did lose one deer that was found months later.

With that being said, I'm not going to recommend the 300 blackout for shots over 50-75 yards. Shot placement is crucial.

Last Saturday at age 10, he took a great management 8 that field dressed over 150 with my suppressed .308 and made a great shot. He will continue to hunt with the .308 or 6.5 creedmoor and use the 300 blackout to practice with at the range from now on.

I like any quarter bore, 6.5, or 7-08 with reduced recoil rounds for a youngster.

Comment

I started mine on a 7mm08 with reduced recoil loads.

Comment

Working...
                X