Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think anyone would make the argument that Kelley isn't a better football coach than Orgeron. He is certainly a better coach than Les Miles was at the end of his tenure. Is he a better coach than Miles was at OSU and earlier in his tenure at LSU? Probably, but I think that those comparison's are much closer.

Coaches ability isn't static. They generally improve to a certain point, then plateau or start getting worse. The game changes and some keep up better than others. Similar to players. Hunger to win and the pressure of expectations or a giant contract can also change how coaches do things and the nature of their decisions generally take at least one year or years to unravel.

At 60 years old, it is fair to wonder whether Kelley is still in his plateau or on the downside of his career. It seems unlikely he is going to improve as a coach at LSU. I think his hunger to win a championship is a big plus in the pro column for predicting how he will perform at LSU. Will the scrutiny from a giant contract or the pressure of an institution/fanbase that just fired a coach two years after an epic national championship run change him negatively? Who knows, but it is certainly a valid question.

I don't think the bad culture fit will play much of a role in how the Kelley era turns out at LSU. It may play a role in how much rope he has to work with before the fanbase turns on him.

While we certainly now know that Lincoln Riley didn't want anything to do with the SEC and that made him a bad fit for LSU, there is a reason that LSU targeted him before they targeted Kelley and that reason is that he is perceived to have more upside.

Only hindsight will tell us whether there was another coach out there that would have been better than Kelley.

Comparing Kelley's overall wins and losses record against Saban's is a really poor comparison. LSU won't be playing mostly service academies and ACC teams. And, unlike Dabo, there aren't many CFP wins versus elite teams to point at. Dabo wasn't an option for LSU, so I'm not making that comparison like for like, just throwing it out there.

I think it is reasonable to say that LSU did about as good as they could do. It will be a few years before we know if Joey Freshwater, Tucker, Napier, Aranda, or Fickell would have been better hires.

I think it is also reasonable to question the upside of the hire and its long term stability.
    Last edited by El General; 11-30-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
      Eaux was a champ. Got a natty, hot young blondes, and left with many millions.
      What else can you expect? A choir boy? Now, Woody just hired one of those to settle things down. Kelly will be around to open the SEC door for you and Sark.

May even give you a big old Kansas Jayhawk welcome.

So now its...."Hey Buffy and Biff we are now officially coming to win this game?" instead of "We comin baw?"

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
        Yeah im happy for him. Hope he does well. Now who to bring in as OC. It's a little homer but i would love to have Graham Harrell. Lincoln probably likes him too though
        I don't think Riley will retain him since he will be calling plays and coaching QB's. There wouldn't be much for Harrell to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
          I completely agree. One of things I have admired about A&M is their all in mentality when it comes to the SEC. They have pushed all their chips on the table to the middle and said we are here for the party. They have made a commitment to the staff, players, facilities, etc. and it seems everyone is focused on trying to win.

I am hoping that Texas can get serious about fixing his football problem as they enter the SEC and get back to being an elite program.
          As much as I hate to applaud aggy, I think they were the one to pop the seal and start notion of paying their way in to better position. If you remember the world kinda scoffed at aggy for paying so much, now others are doing the same. As far as UT, I agree and am hopeful they can figure it out but it is clear they have struggled historically to do so. Now that more schools are shelling out the cash to get in position, maybe UT will do so as well. Pay those coaches, build bad *** facilities. It is abundantly clear the money is there.

Comment

I think 10 years 95 million is a fair price for Kelly, the market has changed and you aren't going to get a proven coach for much less than that these days. We got a proven Kelly for the same price Michigan St. resigned Mel Tucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              So now its...."Hey Buffy and Biff we are now officially coming to win this game?" instead of "We comin baw?"
              Nahhhh baw. The fine folks on the bayou will educate the Irishman in their ways.

Irish folks and Cajuns will be just fine.

Comment

He was making 2.6 million which I thought was nuts when I read that. He must have really liked that gig and had some Gary Patterson like under the table stuff going on.
                I would imagine so. Heck, even GP's 'base' salary was $6 million.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Brian Kelly is very relevant at LSU and I don't even like Brian Kelly

Comment

He was making 2.6 million which I thought was nuts when I read that. He must have really liked that gig and had some Gary Patterson like under the table stuff going on.
                  Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                  I'm surprised Kelly didn't leave long before this. The coach at ND Can't make more than the Chancelor. How much could that be 2mil. Who is going to take that program for that? Unless there is some under the table money the best they can hope for is a FCS coach.
                  Kelley's total compensation at ND was much higher than his salary. Since Notre Dame is a private institution, I'd be wary on any published figures.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                    I think this is the best hire of all the recent hires.
                    Don't overlook RichRod to Jacksonville State!
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

So why was Kelly never mentioned for Texas? That seems like a better fit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 11-30-2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        He didn't have to at Notre Dame either...until they vacated the wins in their most successful season. Squeaky clean program in South Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                          He didn't have to at Notre Dame either...until they vacated the wins in their most successful season. Squeaky clean program in South Bend.

I forgot about all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                            Kelly has never had the opportunity to get the talent that will be available to him at LSU. We will know by season #2 how well it turned out.
                            Agree 100%. All BK has done is win where he goes. This is a huge win for LSU fan.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              I don't think Riley will retain him since he will be calling plays and coaching QB's. There wouldn't be much for Harrell to do.
                              True. Heck i wouldnt be shocked if a smaller school gave Harrell a HC shot given all the jobs open this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                Don't overlook RichRod to Jacksonville State!
                                oooooh, I must have missed that....

Comment

Working...
                                X