Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
    None of your **** business
    dangit ya got me...good one Can't believe I walked into that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
      dangit ya got me...good one Can't believe I walked into that one.
      Glad I ain't the only one.

Comment

As anyone on here been on the hitchhiking side?

Comment

No I have not pick any up. But the ones along the interstate intrigue me. I want to know their story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Picked up a guy leaving work the winter before COVID. Was a short stretch of highway (12 miles) before the loop in Henderson. It was raining and he had what looked like an amazon package.

Picked him up as it was raining and cold (yes I know...stupid move and you would think i know better working at a prison)

Small talk about the box and asked him if it was christmas presents and his response of "none of your **** business" hacked me off.

A few miles farther and I tried small talk with same response...so I hit the rumble strips and pulled over asking him to get out and check rear tire as it felt like it was going down from pulling in the ditch to get him.

He stepped out and I took off...

Go the loop in henderson and looked down and he had left the package in the floorboard lol.
            ok I will bite...what was in the package?
            None of your **** business

Comment

Originally posted by KIETHSTONE View Post
              No I have not pick any up. But the ones along the interstate intrigue me. I want to know their story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Pretty sure it was the YouTuber Shoestring Hobo that I saw walking along 35E in or near Dallas long before his YT day’s. He had a backpack on with a metal frame. His hair and beard weren’t gray back then. I often say a prayer over folks that are walking or those that are stranded along highways and roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                I had a trucker pick me up once when I was broken down in the middle of nowhere west texas. But not sure that counts as hitchhiking.

Comment

Been circling women's prisons since I could drive. No luck yet.

Comment

Definitely, I love it.
                    Been too long since the last trip.
                    You definitely meet some interesting people, but all my experiences have been good.
                    99% of the time they just want to know your story lol.
                    Throws em for a loop sometimes when they realize you have a smartphone, debit card, cash, and are not looking for anything other than a ride.
                    Here's a few from last time.
                    The girls were a blast, did about 300 miles and 2 days with them.
                    The older couple were from Germany and in the US for the first time, had a daughter in school here, and came to see her and sight see.
                    The guy in the 2nd pic is a engineer who designs & test ejection seats on the big plateu outside Zion NP, and from Kilgore TX, 20 miles from where I live.
                    What are the odds.
                    Gave me as much of a tour of the place as he was allowed.
                    Very neat.
                    The big guy I have my arm around, was on his way to the Vegas Airport, headed to NZ to do a 1000 mile hike.
                    His goal was quit smoking, lose weight, and get his act together.
                    The hippy was helping build the new visitor center inside Zion.
                    I have notes on the rest of them but don't remember offhand all the details.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by MadHatter; 08-09-2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Cool stuff there MH!!

I have picked up a few. In these days I am a lot more reluctant to do it, but would if everything looked ok.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                        Cool stuff there MH!!

I have picked up a few. In these days I am a lot more reluctant to do it, but would if everything looked ok.
                        Same here, like I said, I profile em lol

Comment

I had a battery go dead while way back in the pasture before cell phones.
                          I disconnected the dead battery, carried it to the highway and began walking to the nearest gas station seven miles away. A guy pulled up and offered to take me into town, where I bought a new battery on my gas credit card, then he drove me back to the pasture gate with it. Those batteries are heavy, so I sure appreciated the help.

I have given rides when I was younger, but now I am more careful than I used to be.

Comment

I was coming out of a lease on the Nueces near Tilden around 1983???? By myself. Left the place about dark just as it started to drizzle and cold. I got out to open the gate when a non citizen stepped out of the brush and asked if he could ride on the back of my Ford. I was in pretty good shape back then and never doubted I could take him one on one if it came to that. I asked him if he needed something to eat and he said very much so. I had some bread and chips in the cab and told him to help himself to the cooler, it had lunch meat, sausage and other goodies. My supercab was loaded with gear to keep from getting wet or I would have let him inside.
                            As I closed the door and he jumped on, about 4 more guys boiled out of the brush and hopped on as well. I rolled the window down and told him I was going to stop just outside of Joudanton since it wasn't much out of the way. He already told me he was trying to get to San Antonio which was out of the way for me.
                            I could see them ravaging the cooler and food and drinks leftover. I stopped just shy of town and they piled off and disappeared into the brush. Next morning as I was cleaning out the truck I noticed a skinned and gutted rabbit he left on the truck. I guess he figured it was a good trade for the sandwiches. I thought so too.

Comment

I have only picked up one because he looked to be in his 70's and harmless. He turned out to be a Jehovah Witness and was very appreciative. Left me a lot of reading material.
                              Glad you made it OK. Picking up hitchhikers can be risky, and there are few things more dangerous than an elderly JW running full magazines of reading material.

Comment

Yes, I have.

First one was a young girl whose bicycle broke down. I drove her about 5 miles before she freaked out and asked me to stop, so I did.

Second one was a college student walking in the rain at night. He only needed a ride for about 2 miles.

The last one was 2 teenage girls hitchhiking in the mountains of northern Colorado and we were very worried a predator was going to pick them up. We drove them 45 miles to the next town, which is where they lived. They had hitchhiked to the "city", partied all night, and needed to get back to high school by 8 am. We made them ride in the back of the truck and covered them with a tarp to stay warm.

Like others have said - I try to profile them first.

And like Antlers said about the serial killer thing - I didn't pick the guy up but was talking to a guy who was telling me he was out of prison on parole for drugs and manslaughter and proceeded to tell me his life story. When he was done I asked if he was redeemed to which he replied "yes, so are you scared of me?" I laughed - " you just told me everything about your life. You should be scared of me because you don't know anything about me." I gave him a grin like "gotcha'!"
                                Last edited by Dusty Britches; 08-10-2021, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X