Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default Naomi Judd - confirmed suicide by self-inflicted gun shot

sad, sad, sad .... Naomi Judd died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to daughter Ashley Judd. Ashley appeared Wednesday on "Good Morning America" to speak out about her mother's death. "She used a weaponÖ my mother used a firearm,"

Ashley said. "So thatís the piece of information that we are very uncomfortable sharing, but understand that weíre in a position that if we donít say it someone else is going to.

Quote:
Our mother couldnít hang on until she was inducted into the Hall of Fame by her peers," she said. "That is the level of catastrophe of what was going on inside of her, because the barrier between the regard in which they held her couldnít penetrate into her heart, and the lie the disease told her was so convincing."

Quote:
"It was a mixed day," the actress explained. "I visit with my mom and pop every day when Iím home in Tennessee, so I was at the house visiting as I am every day. Mom said to me, ĎWill you stay with me?í and I said, ĎOf course I will.íÖ I went upstairs to let her know that her good friend was there and I discovered her. I have both grief and trauma from discovering her."

Tragic ending, something you never want to encounter or experience first hand. I have 4 close friends including family members who ended their life this way. Those who found them have never been the same mentally.

If you know someone suffering from mental health or depression, give them a call today. Let them know you love them, care about them, and they can get through the troubling times with counseling and professional help.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-wound-firearm
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #2
bugleboy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Young county

Awfully sad situation. I really enjoyed their music together.
bugleboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #3
mpotts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Tx

Sad deal for sure
mpotts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Really sad to hear. I've known several over the years that could not fight off the demons.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Sad, but a good post Blake! And something that always needs to be addressed most often in our lives.

Check on the ones you love. As well as the ones you don't. And the ones you haven't heard from in a while.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 08:09 PM   #6
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Sad deal! They had many a memorable tunes back in the day!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 08:12 PM   #7
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

So very sad but thanks for posting, one of those things we really don’t want to talk about but need to.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 08:15 PM   #8
IvoryRoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Great post Blake! You never know what someone is going through in their mind.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 08:34 PM   #9
EarleyBird
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Home

Alright, I'll be the arsehole; but, "Our mother couldn’t hang on until she was inducted into the Hall of Fame by her peers" tells me all I need to know about Ashley Judd.

If my mother died I Wouldn't be worried about anything worldly, let alone if it was suicide.

Good grief.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 08:48 PM   #10
SharpEnd
Eight Point

Really terrible news. I agree, though, if that is an exact quote, it is odd. She could have said "couldn't hang on even though she was being inducted into the Hall of Fame by her peers" to emphasize her mental illness. But it seems she thought it was a foregone conclusion that she was going to kill herself, and it would have been nice to see her in the Hall of Fame first.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 09:05 PM   #11
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Sad no matter who it is. Was she the one that gave that crazy speech about woman rights?
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 09:06 PM   #12
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

I don't see it as a mental disease. A person reaches a point in their life when it's no longer valid to go on. A person gets to the point where they can't do the things they enjoy doing wheather physically and financially and they can only sit and waste away. Or worse yet suffer from pain from past injuries for years on end. We all are going to die, why are you branded mental to do it on your own terms?
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 09:10 PM   #13
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Does not matter. She was a great lady and performer. Pray she rest in peace as she should.
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2022, 09:52 PM   #14
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
Does not matter. She was a great lady and performer. Pray she rest in peace as she should.
X2, this, sad when this happens to a family, any family.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 01:17 AM   #15
Gom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone Counties

She was a Great mother, entertainer and spokeswoman for depression. Sad and simple…In the end she just didn’t want to be here anymore.
Gom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 08:18 AM   #16
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gom View Post
She was a Great mother, entertainer and spokeswoman for depression. Sad and simpleÖIn the end she just didnít want to be here anymore.

Iíve read different on the great mother part Ö The others for sure.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #17
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

There's a lesson to be learned there, albeit a sad one. We see this so often: some celebrity has everything we ever dreamed of - in her case, worldwide fame and fortune, a huge home on a manicured private 1,000 acre estate, the whole nine yards. "Who wouldn't be happy?" ...we think. Yet here they go again, committing suicide because they can't deal with life. Like I said, a lesson to be learned.
Attached Images

Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 10:37 AM   #18
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
I don't see it as a mental disease. A person reaches a point in their life when it's no longer valid to go on. A person gets to the point where they can't do the things they enjoy doing wheather physically and financially and they can only sit and waste away. Or worse yet suffer from pain from past injuries for years on end. We all are going to die, why are you branded mental to do it on your own terms?
Because it’s a chicken **** and selfish way to go. We all have demons to fight. Some more than others. Cinch up and handle business.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #19
bloodtrail18
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
because itís a chicken **** and selfish way to go. We all have demons to fight. Some more than others. Cinch up and handle business.
x1000
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #20
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Because itís a chicken **** and selfish way to go. We all have demons to fight. Some more than others. Cinch up and handle business.
Brother- I can see very clearly that you know very little about true mental illness! I hope that you never have to know. Itís so sad that people canít have compassion !
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #21
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Because itís a chicken **** and selfish way to go. We all have demons to fight. Some more than others. Cinch up and handle business.
Bunch of weak minded people!!!!
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #22
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Brother- I can see very clearly that you know very little about true mental illness! I hope that you never have to know. Itís so sad that people canít have compassion !
Youíd be shocked at what Iíve dealt with. Taking your own life is the easy way out. And does extraordinary damage to those closest to you. Only thing I can agree with is if you know youíre gonna die due to severe illness, cancer etc. Iíve seen that tear a couple very close loved ones to pieces. They fought to the very end. I have compassion. And we all have our own struggles.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:41 AM   #23
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
I just wonder why so many kill themselves now? Well I know.

Like with LGBT, its acceptable now so used more widely. Sad world we live in
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #24
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
And donít let my comment portray that I donít care. Iíd help anyone out if dark times anyway I can. I just strongly disagree that itís a mental illness. And thereís always help. Church is a perfect place to start.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #25
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

In the end she led a very blessed life. I feel for those who had much harder lives and couldn't cope.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 12:15 PM   #26
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Our life is not ours to take. Plain and simple. I do believe there are chemical imbalances in some people that can cause depression;however, I think there is something to be said about allowing self destructive thoughts to reside in one’s brain. The Bible says that “as a man thinketh so he goes”. I truly believe that. Kinda like a self fulfilling prophecy. Now I don’t go around casting the demons outta door knobs but I do believe that a person can talk themselves into a shat storm.
I was surprised that she shot herself. Most women go out by less violent means. We’d be surprised if we found out how many folks actually committed “auto-cide” and weren’t killed accidentally.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 12:34 PM   #27
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

I have a friend that I met thru ASA Archery that is being buried this afternoon in Georgia. He was a U.S. Army Platoon Sgt. In Afghanistan. He was a great guy, loved by many including his archery family that was nationwide. He was the bow assembly forman at Martin Archery. He lost two soldiers from his platoon in Afghanistan. He suffered from PTSD. He has always felt responsible for the death of his soldiers. Last Friday on his way to work he pulled over got out of his truck, walked down a tree line, sat down and took his own life. He posted on Facebook a few minutes before...."One day I will be worthy". Very sad, very tragic. PTSD is a terrible mental disease. 22 is Too Many. Rest in Peace Daniel Morgan.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-13-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #28
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Such a waste of life. RIP my young brother.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 02:12 PM   #29
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

There was a guy I know that used to guide up around where I hunt in NW OK and KS. Great guy, salt of the earth type. He spent years taking care of his Dad who had severe alzheimers and it really took it's toll on him before his Dad finally passed. He was later diagnosed with the same thing and before it got really bad and while he still had enough of his mind about him he wrote a note that he never wanted to be that type of burden to his kids. Went out in the yard and sat under a tree and did himself in. There are just so many different situations that people deal with. The old saying about "everyone is dealing with something so try to be kind" comes to mind.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 03:02 PM   #30
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

Yeah, you never know what's going on inside somebody's head. When I worked in a state agency, we had one guy in his late 30's, married with 3 kids. Always calm and relaxed, had a regular sense of humor. Wasn't a party guy or a giggler, but not at all withdrawn, either. He participated in team projects and gave great group presentations. He always had somebody to eat lunch with.... well, I could go on, but one day his wife came home from work and he had just blown his head off with a large-caliber revolver. To this day, nobody knows why he did it. Total mystery.
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #31
McPatrickClan
Ten Point

Thanks for sharing the news, OP.

As clergy, I hate suicide. Life is God's gift to all who have it and there are few things more tragic than suicide. I've lost friends, family and colleagues to it.

If you feel the need to express anger at those who take their own life, I'd suggest doing it to a friend or a counselor, not to the bereaved. Those who take their own life are battling some of the biggest demons we can imagine. The hurting are not our enemy.

I've been trained a little in how to prevent suicide. The best way to help those who may want to harm themselves is to:

1. Get them to QUESTION their desire to take their own life.
2. PERSUADE them to seek professional help.
3. REFER them to a pastor, counselor or other equipped person who can work with them in a productive way.

There is hope in every imago dei. May God bless those who are so poor in spirit that they have considered ending their life.
McPatrickClan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #32
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

That's awful.

Depression is a scary, scary, ailment. I don't personally know much about it, but I know enough to know how much I don't know.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top