Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Load Development.

I need to develop a hunting load.

I used all the factory ammo that shot lights out. the Aussie ammo used a 150 gr sirocoo II bullet and send it out at over 2800 fps per them

So I'm starting with the below

Savage 110 308 Left Hand 24 inch barrel 1 in 10 twist.

308 150 GR Hornady SST
    CCI #34 LRP
    ADI Brass from Australian Outback Ammo.

IMR 4064

Book Shows

38.4 GR 2300 fps
    40.0 gr 2400
    41.7 gr 2500
    43.3 gr 2600
    44.9 gr 2700

I have read when developing a load start low or middle load 5 rounds and increase .2 grains for each 5 load.

In todays world I see they are only using 3 round and increasing the power by a larger amount...

Need suggestions These will be my first reloads.

I would still only increase by .2 grains. You can go from pretty warm to very hot quick.

Comment

This should be close to what you're looking for.

Attached Files

Comment

Varget

I would definitely start with swift scirocco II bullets to duplicate as that’s what the gun likes and maybe 45-46.5grs of Varget with 150gr 308
        Or just purchase some outback ammunition
        .308 WIN – 150gr Swift Scirocco II BTS, ammunition that leaves your barrel at the same high velocity at extreme temperature range, a feature called Ballistic Temperature Independence.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-16-2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
          I would definitely start with swift scirocco II bullets to duplicate as that’s what the gun likes and maybe 45-46.5grs of Varget with 150gr 308

Been unable to find sirocco bullets and no Varget.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
            I would still only increase by .2 grains. You can go from pretty warm to very hot quick.
            X10000000

Baby steps. I don’t start at the bottom. But I’m cautious. You should end up well over 2800 with a 150 in a 308 but take your time. Imr 4064 is a good powder. If you can find XBR it’s really good in a 308 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
              Been unable to find sirocco bullets and no Varget.
              Yep it’s slim pickings on reload supplies/ powder and swift products, I personally would shoot accubond over a sst imo

Comment

If you don’t find the velocity your looking for with 4064 you might try IMR 3031. I’ve had great luck with it and 155 VLD’s.

Comment

I have several hunting bullets to try if this does not work out.

Comment

I’ve got a LB of 4064 I’d trade for H4350 or IMR 4350 if you’ve got any?

Comment

Old school rule used to be to start at 10% below book max. And work upwards from there. 10% is usually above the minimum. But typically puts you in a pretty safe zone to start. And it's better than being under loaded.

As for velocities, it's really hard to tell what a gun gives without some type of tool like a chronograph. Some of the stuff published in books is a far cry from what a gun really does. And much of it will vary from gun to gun. A chrono will allow you to see trends and variances in speed which will help you develop good loads for the bullet you plan to use.

Comment

Screw loading 5 rounds per charge. Do a ladder test and tune from the node. A chrono is helpful but not necessary.

Comment

I have a chrono and plan on using it. The brass I am using Australian Military brass. So if like other mil brass will hold a little less.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                            I have a chrono and plan on using it. The brass I am using Australian Military brass. So if like other mil brass will hold a little less.
                            If at all possible, shoot through the chrono while doing the ladder test.

This was a Walmart special Remington 700 .223, 55 grain Gameking, Ramshot TAC, and Lake City brass. Nothing special. Older Burris 4x scope, 100 yards, and the dot on the paper was made by tracing a quarter with a sharpie. In 9 rounds I was able to decide what charge to load. 3 tenths of a grain is probably too much of a jump for a .223, but like you say, powder and primers are hard to come by.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I shoot Win748 with a 150gr Sierra and it's moving pretty good

Comment

Working...
                              X