Newb Questions on Youth Draw Hunts for next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb Questions on Youth Draw Hunts for next year

I've always had a lease or 2, but this year my family is looking to put into some of the youth season draw hunts. I've searched high and low on this site, been looking at the tpwd pages and FAQ's, and have come up with a couple questions. I know this may seem stupid to a lot of people who register for draw hunts all the time....so here goes....

1. This will be the first year trying to register for hunts. It will be for youth, not Hagerman. I looked at odds earlier today to get drawn and it's 1-5% ish....is it better to buddy up with a friend with 0 points as well or go solo?

2. I have 0 pref points, my buddy has 0 pref points. If we group together, and only 1 is drawn, but only 1 spot of the 4 remains, are we skipped over, or do me and my buddy hunt the same unit hunt ends or our harvest quota is met...at the same time, if my buddy is drawn 2nd, does that mean I get the 3rd spot in the draw because we're "married."

3. Is it better for me and my buddy to register our kids to go solo because we'd likely hunt different units and need multiple vehicles anyways?

1. Your odds are the same whether you buddy up or not if you both have zero points 2. We don't "marry" our buddies 3.Yes, if you do not want to hunt in the same unit as your buddy you must sign up separately

Comment

Also try TYHP.

Comment

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
        I've always had a lease or 2, but this year my family is looking to put into some of the youth season draw hunts. I've searched high and low on this site, been looking at the tpwd pages and FAQ's, and have come up with a couple questions. I know this may seem stupid to a lot of people who register for draw hunts all the time....so here goes....

1. This will be the first year trying to register for hunts. It will be for youth, not Hagerman. I looked at odds earlier today to get drawn and it's 1-5% ish....is it better to buddy up with a friend with 0 points as well or go solo? You can have 3 kids on a card. Go with friends, the kids will have a blast. Minimum age to apply is 8 for state draws.

2. I have 0 pref points, my buddy has 0 pref points. If we group together, and only 1 is drawn, but only 1 spot of the 4 remains, are we skipped over, or do me and my buddy hunt the same unit hunt ends or our harvest quota is met...at the same time, if my buddy is drawn 2nd, does that mean I get the 3rd spot in the draw because we're "married."
        If a person on the card is drawn, EVERYONE is drawn. Standby's are a different animal

3. Is it better for me and my buddy to register our kids to go solo because we'd likely hunt different units and need multiple vehicles anyways?
        You can put in for the same unit in one categary and put in separate for a different unit in same categaory...SEE # 1. If kids have friends they have more fun. especiall at campfire.

Comment

Originally posted by doeboy11 View Post
          Also try TYHP.
          This. Fantastic program.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. Should be fun to try something different. Will start lookiing into TYHP now!

Comment

Your points don't matter for youth hunts, you're just on the draw as a supervisor and don't get to hunt. The kids will build their own points. You can put the kiddos on adult hunts and you can hunt with them.
              Last edited by justletmein; 03-12-2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Your points don't matter for youth hunts, you're just on the draw as a supervisor and don't get to hunt. The kids will build their own points. You can put the kiddos on adult hunts and you can hunt with them.
                Soon as they old enough to put, put them in for your hard to get hunts ...or others. This builds up their own points in the open draws.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  Soon as they old enough to put, put them in for your hard to get hunts ...or others. This builds up their own points in the open draws.
                  Great idea and makes sense! Don't know how I have missed these hunts over the last 10+ years for the kids and even for me putting in for some of the hunts that I may put in for 20+ years. Ha!

Comment

Working...
                  X