Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Here’s a perfect example of how these things play out:

This was sent in a family group text. My wife’s response?

“I just found out about it. She is a good kid that was just running her mouth.”

Followed by:

“I’ve tried to tell her to keep her mouth shut!”

and…

“She is just mouthy! She isn’t dangerous! She just says what she thinks. She understands the consequences now.”

…and…

“I understand that. I haven’t spoken to her about it but she will be in my room next year for like 60 days. I’m sure I will get to talk to her a lot.”

“We are up to 6 next year starting in DAEP. 5 are for running their mouths!!!”

NO! NO! NO! NO!!!

I told her this is EXACTLY how these things play out!

“Something like 77% of active shooters have given warnings/indicators ahead of the actual shootings. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Should be treated as credible threats.”

“That’s insane. I think anybody “running their mouths” that involve death threats at school should be handled exactly like somebody would be that might voice threats at an airport. “

There can be no more “joking” threats about things like this! There must be significant ramifications and punishment. These types of threats are classic examples of words that are NOT protected by the first amendment. Yet they happen every day in our schools and are discredited until something like yesterday AND last week in NY happens at YOUR kids’ school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of these young men expressed a desire to kill people and nothing was done. In fact id bet 99.9% of these situation had plenty of warning. One problem is, if you or the district taks action against them before they actually do anything the litigation starts and its a down hill slide from there.

Comment

Big question, how do we secure schools and protect students and teachers? Multiple people posting about walking right into a school the day after this tragedy, doors being unlocked on the outside, not having to check in. I mean, come on! Kids were shot and killed six blocks from my house, and some of y’all wanna argue some BS propaganda.
      We can do better!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        You cannot be “2A to the core” and favor more restrictions, period.

Again the gun isn’t the problem. Society is the problem. Fix society before you start restricting any more rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Sure I can be.. I have enough common sense and enough experience with young teenagers these days to know that most 18 year olds these days are far to immature to handle the responsibilities that come with buying, owning or carrying a firearm of any kind... But you are correct society is the main problem for many reasons and to fix it some things need to start changing.. Many things actually.
        Last edited by PondPopper; 05-25-2022, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. View Post
          21 or even older? Maybe 30 is a nice place to draw the line? Perhaps only retirees are wise and sensible enough to bear arms? A young person would respond that it's easy for you to say old man, now that it's not your rights we're taking away. A person becomes an adult at 18, and a full, total, no-questions-asked adult at 21. The entire argument that today's 18-y/os are not 1995's or 1955's 18-y/os is classic "these kids ain't what we were." Every generation has thought and will continue to think that, hasn't gotten any truer with time.
          Only thing you forgot was that "our generation" didn't
          go shooting up the school houses, killing fellow classmates.

You have to earn those privileges/rights. They don't come with an age number.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            If 18 is old enough to be in the military and fight in a war then 18 is old enough to buy a gun. I was one of those 18 year old kids when I got my draft notice. My Daddy gave me my first gun when I was 12 and I had been hunting alone since I was 10 and putting game on the table. We were a different breed back then.
            On the other hand I know people that are middle aged that have no bidnez at all even picking up a gun but I defend their right to own one or a hundred.
            Amen sir well said.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
              “Inanimate” is lame. So is a spoon, 2x4, breakfast taco….etc. none of those have the ability to kill 20 people in a matter of minutes
              A vehicle could and is inanimate in park. Still takes someone to manipulate it.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                Sure I can be.. I have enough common sense and enough experience with young teenagers these days to know that most 18 year olds these days are far to immature to handle the responsibilities that come with buying, owning or carrying a firearm of any kind... But you are correct society is the main problem for many reasons and to fix it some things need to start changing.. Many things actually.

Well if we are going to up the age when it comes to guns then we absolutely have to up the age on a drivers license
                How many kids are on car accidents annually? A car is a way more dangerous object than a gun especially when you do the math on how may 16 year olds are out there running the roads.

“Auto accidents are the leading cause of death for teens ages 15 to 20. When teen drivers ride with other passengers, their risk of being in a fatal car crash doubles. Overall, teenagers underestimate or are unable to recognize hazardous driving conditions.”

This was from a quick google search for one state

2017 Teen Driver Car Accident Statistics

17,321 teen drivers in Pennsylvania were involved in crashes
                2,526 teens were killed in crashes nationwide
                Nine percent of teenage motor accidents involved distracted driving
                In 2017, motorcycle riders aged 15-20 were killed, an 11 percent increase from 2016
                1,830 drivers aged 15-20 were killed in alcohol-related crashes
                22 percent of teen drivers were not wearing a restraint during a crash, but account for 57 percent of fatalities

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
                  That would be great, I agree. But how do we contribute to any of that positive change when so many on the right have become the kings of "you're an idiot, or worse, a liberal" when someone doesn't see something exactly their way?

That is not a winning strategy for changing anything. In the interim, I'm for doing whatever we reasonably can to prevent bad people from getting / using guns to do bad things. Please note "reasonably".
                  That will never happen. Look at the war on drugs. Let try to keep people from getting drugs… guess what they got them. You ban it and a black market will open up to produce it. Only thing is the bad guy will have the gun and you law abiding citizen will not. Hell prohibition is another example. Look how that turned out.
                  Last edited by CoachS; 05-25-2022, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                    Well if we are going to up the age when it comes to guns then we absolutely have to up the age on a drivers license
                    How many kids are on car accidents annually? A car is a way more dangerous object than a gun especially when you do the math on how may 16 year olds are out there running the roads.

“Auto accidents are the leading cause of death for teens ages 15 to 20. When teen drivers ride with other passengers, their risk of being in a fatal car crash doubles. Overall, teenagers underestimate or are unable to recognize hazardous driving conditions.”

This was from a quick google search for one state

2017 Teen Driver Car Accident Statistics

17,321 teen drivers in Pennsylvania were involved in crashes
                    2,526 teens were killed in crashes nationwide
                    Nine percent of teenage motor accidents involved distracted driving
                    In 2017, motorcycle riders aged 15-20 were killed, an 11 percent increase from 2016
                    1,830 drivers aged 15-20 were killed in alcohol-related crashes
                    22 percent of teen drivers were not wearing a restraint during a crash, but account for 57 percent of fatalities

Yep... I've been saying this needs to happen for 10 years at least.

Comment

I think hardening the schools is a logical first step. Like seriously hardening them.

Not sold on raising the age to buy a firearm. Not sure that would do anything but infringe on the rights of law abiding young adults. Didn't the Santa Fe shooter use guns that belonged to his father? Didn't the Sandyhook shooter use guns that belonged to his mother? Raising the age to purchase a firearm to 21 wouldn't have prevented those tragedies.

If someone wants to do something evil like this it's easier to just steal guns from a family member or a friend or buy them illegally off the streets.

Hug your kiddos tight.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CoachS View Post
                        A vehicle could and is inanimate in park. Still takes someone to manipulate it.
                        When is the last time a vehicle killed 19 kids? Acts of terrorism aside ie ok city.
                        Last edited by JeffJ; 05-25-2022, 09:48 PM.

Comment

When is the last time a vehicle killed 19 kids? Acts of terrorism aside ie ok city.
                          Probably yesterday, and another 19 today. Have you looked at the statistics of MVA deaths in the US? Does the tragedy need to happen all in the same spot for you to acknowledge the volume?

Comment

Give us your gun laws that could be enacted immediately to stop all mass public shootings...seriously, Chicago & other areas want to know the answers that will end gun violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Why? Years ago anyone could walk in and buy a gun including minors.

The gun isn’t the **** problem.

Why is that so hard for some to grasp?
                              Agreed, the gun isn't the problem.

As a result of Uvalde, I suspect we'll see the lefty gun grabbers pushing legislation that raises the minimum gun purchase age to 21.

Knowing that the general public wants the government to "do something" and may be receptive to the argument that "we restrict alcohol to 21, why not guns?", they will sneak in other 2A restrictions on the same bill that would otherwise never pass.

This is a terrible time to have a dysfunctional NRA, right when we need it the most to push back.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                                Agreed, the gun isn't the problem.

As a result of Uvalde, I suspect we'll see the lefty gun grabbers pushing legislation that raises the minimum gun purchase age to 21.

Knowing that the general public wants the government to "do something" and may be receptive to the argument that "we restrict alcohol to 21, why not guns?", they will sneak in other 2A restrictions on the same bill that would otherwise never pass.

This is a terrible time to have a dysfunctional NRA, right when we need it the most to push back.
                                Sadly, the NRA doesn't care anymore about protecting our rights, than politicians do about protecting our children.

Aside from people being better at being, and raising, good people....the only solution is to better protect our schools.

But politicians being what politicians are....they will find a way to make that cost prohibitive as well...as they ship billions upon billions to other countries, and ignore the issues on the home front until they can find a way to use them to line their pockets.

Comment

Working...
                                X