No announcement yet.

G.S. advice on buying first boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are wanting one for fishing mainly, don't buy a ski boat. Fishing out of a ski boat is a pain in the ***. Ask my brother, he let his wife talk him into a ski boat.

You can ski out of a fishing boat good enough to learn that you'll never be a professional skier.

Comment

I can tell you from just going through the same process, I wound up going with a triton patriot TRX bass boat. I figured I would buy once and be done for a very long time. Here is the problem with getting a new boat… The turnaround times are ridiculous. I started talking to the dealership in January. Figured out what I wanted and wrote the check early in the first week of February to order it. I am now over three 1/2 months waiting on that boat, and was told I should have it within six weeks. All of the manufacturers are swamped, and running short on components and labor. My original date for delivery was March 20. We are now at May 23. I leave for Africa this Saturday for two weeks. I have already told the dealership that if my boat is not here by the time I get back I want my money back. While I know it is not their fault, colorado has a very short fishing season, and I’m not going to buy a brand new boat to use it for a month and then put it away to get ready for archery season. At this point I have completely missed the spawn, and by the time the boat gets here post spawn activity will be over too. I would have gone the used route, but there was just nothing within a reasonable driving distance of me. I looked at all the surrounding states. Given you are in Texas, you probably have a lot more to pick from on the used market, and I would go that route instead of ordering new and waiting for God knows how long at this point.

Comment

Chris i just want to add that i hadn't owned a boat in 15 years and in my mind i had it made out to be a hassle I didn't want to deal with. Keeping registration current on boat and trailer, lights working, blah blah. I bought a small aluminum boat last year for hunting which led to me getting more into fishing and just taking the kids out to swim. The downside is holy crap have I dumped some money into it on electronics, nice seats, etc. The big upside is I have something to look forward to on the weekends when I have time. January-August used to be kind of my off season. Now I at least have something to get me out of the house. I'm no help on what kind of boat to get, but get one!

Comment

Rent one when needed, cheaper unless use often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never understood the boat hate. Any hobby costs money. I spend more on hunting every year than owning, maintaining and running the boat. I spend less time hunting and get less out of it. Being on the water is therapeutic for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
              I have never understood the boat hate. Any hobby costs money. I spend more on hunting every year than owning, maintaining and running the boat. I spend less time hunting and get less out of it. Being on the water is therapeutic for sure.

IMO those opinions are mostly folks who bought a boat to collect dust or bought junk from the jump.

Like you said, I spent more money filling feeders last year than maintenance on my boat since Ive owned it. Water pumps, oil changes etc aint squat unless youre paying 160 an hour mechanic to do it.

My family has had boats since I was born and had as many as 3 at a time. One of those we threw money at after having the motor bored chasing a high temp alarm. Havent owned a merc since. The rest have been great rigs

Comment

Originally posted by Lights Out View Post
                Boats are like swimming pools. Way cooler when when it’s your friends.
                FACTS!!!

And like swimming pools, the newness wears off quick

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post

Sorry I hunt weekly, and I do not spend as much money as he would on a monthly payment on a depreciating toy and on top of that the high interest payments. Not to mention repairs, maintenance, and storage

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    Sorry I hunt weekly, and I do not spend as much money as he would on a monthly payment on a depreciating toy and on top of that the high interest payments. Not to mention repairs, maintenance, and storage
                    Boats like everything else have gone through the roof. Fortunately both current boats are selling for more than I paid for either.

Example....this boat is a year older than mine, used and not remotely as clean. Its listed for enough over what I paid. I could sell, have/wait for a new boat and be out less than I originally paid.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      FACTS!!!

And like swimming pools, the newness wears off quick
                      Im 4 1/2 years into mine and the new hasn't worn off yet? Never been in the shop for anything and all oil changes and maintenance I have done. My lease and hunting costs me WAY more yearly than my boat.....

Maybe alot of the hate is from people who thought they could fish and couldn't so they get aggravated going out and not catching anything....

Also there are alot of great comments on here and some not so much. Op if you want a good fishing rig, you will need decent electronics and trolling motor. Bigger motor is good but I dont have to be the first person across the lake but I do want to find fish and catch some.

Comment

just like my grandma always says: "if it floats, flys, or ....., RENT IT!"

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                          How many planes and boats did granny own?

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                            I thought it was "If it floats, flies, or fornicates, it's cheaper to rent"

Comment

I would be a very sad dude if I had to get rid of my boat. To hell with hoping a guide has an opening when you wan to go fishing or waiting to be invited. When I decide to go fishing it goes in the water.

Comment

Don't buy it until you drive it and it makes y'all smile from ear to ear.
                                Test EVERYTHING!
                                Take your time, if its a pushy seller, tell them to shove it or ignore and continue inspecting and testing out everything.
                                Compression test on each cylinder if buying used motor, very simple to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X