Which TX beach in June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which TX beach in June

I want to take my family to the beach in TX the first or second week of June for 3 nights. In the 25 years I've lived in TX, I've never visited a TX beach, instead opting to go to FL or Mexico in years past.

We are looking for a nice, clean beach, where my daughter can find seashells and my son and i can sling a line and catch some fish from shore.

where would you go for a decent first TX beach trip?

The further south you go the better they get.

Comment

NOT Surfside, Quintana or Galveston!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
        The further south you go the better they get.
        True but I'd still go to Port A and fish the north jetty. Or better yet hire Oz to take you on a 2 day fishing trip down PINS.

But it is the ocean so pray the wind, waves, and seaweed all cooperate.

Comment

We go to SPI every October. Room rates are cheaper and LESS people.

Comment

SPI

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

We went to S. Padre a couple times as kids. 1985 or so was the last family trip to a Texas beach. Stick with FL and Mexico. :-).

Comment

You really have two choices: NPI or SPI
                Are you going to camp, rv or rent a condo?
                Mustang Island SP is the camping spot off NPI you can RV there also.
                Port A , Mustang Island and North PI beaches are about the same. You will have less people as you get away from the condos and you can drive on most of the beaches at these locations. As you drive SW down the national seashore on north padre island it gets really unpopulated and no improvements. You don’t want to drive the family car past the end of the road there; you can get stranded.

Comment

The more natural the beach is, meaning the less it is cleaned by some county crew, the more shells, and other things you will find on the beach. But at the same time the more garbage you will find on the beach. There will potentially be more sea grass, that depends on when that stuff gets washed up on the beach. I don't know if it dies and breaks free, or if it constantly floats on the water and is washed up, on the beach depending on the tides. At certain times of the year, the grass on the beach will be thick, if it's not cleaned up by a county crew. Mustang Island is the place, that I know of seeming to get the most of it, but that's why they have cleaning crews to clean it up and keep the beach looking nice.

If you go down to North Padre or South Padre, a good 4X4, is highly recommended. Basically meaning, you can physically get down the beach in a 2WD vehicle, but once you stop or slow down to turn, you are probably done, right there. Even with a 4X4, with factory, tires, or other stock size street tires, you can get stuck quickly. Some places the ruts get very deep. If your truck is not in the best condition mechanically, I would not take it. There are many sections you will be turning some rpm for many miles, and experience a lot of wheel hop for a long ways. Which wheel hop is hard on the drivetrain, meaning driveshafts, transmissions, U-Joints, ECT.

Now days they have park rangers stationed about every five miles or so, waiting for someone to need help, and there are a lot more people way down North Padre, than years ago. Years ago, if you got stuck or broke down, you might be there a couple days or longer.

If you decide to go down either of the barrier Islands and camp overnight, it will be a cool experience. But definitely take a firearm and ammo. When I was in high school back in the 80s, a buddy of mine, was camping with his girlfriend. He got jumped and beat with a bat, to the point, it put him in the hospital for days. That was only Mustang Island. Way down south, away from any towns, you never know what you are going to run into at night.

One of the last times we stayed on North Padre at night, we got to see the Milky Way, you could see it very clearly. I took my wife and daughter down there, we have been a few times. Other times you might get to see some cool lightning shows at night, if some storms roll in off the gulf. It's definitely an experience, but there are things to watch out for, most of those walk on two legs. There are coyotes, and rattlers in the dunes. The biggest problems walking the beach are occasional glass and manowars, they are like jellyfish, but the sting is quite a bit worse. Messed up one of my sisters pretty good, when we were kids. We spent most of the rest of that day, at a ranger station. Jellyfish, will sting for a while, but not that bad. Take some antihistamine for the jellyfish or manowar stings. I have been stung many times by jellyfish they are not that bad, never been stung by a manowar, after seeing my sister get stung as a kid, I see a blue bubble looking thing on the beach, I go way around it. If you get out in the water, you might cross paths with a stingray, but it's not that common to step on them in the surf, even though they get caught in the surf all the time. Then there are sharks, but they typically stay out past the first sand bar, but they will come into shallow water chasing fish or hunting fish. I you choose to fish for sharks or most any other type of fish, they typically run between the sand bars parallel to the beach. If you can get out past the second sand bar, that's where you will typically get into the bigger fish, or at least that was the case, when I lived down there 30 something years ago.

Comment

I hate to say it but if you've never been to a Texas beach you will be disappointed compared to FL and Mexico. I was fortunate to grow up on Alabama's beaches. Texas is the best in a lot of things but beautiful beaches is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                      You really have two choices: NPI or SPI
                      Are you going to camp, rv or rent a condo?
                      Mustang Island SP is the camping spot off NPI you can RV there also.
                      Port A , Mustang Island and North PI beaches are about the same. You will have less people as you get away from the condos and you can drive on most of the beaches at these locations. As you drive SW down the national seashore on north padre island it gets really unpopulated and no improvements. You don’t want to drive the family car past the end of the road there; you can get stranded.
                      I think this will check your box.
                      We stay here and Surfside and like them about equally.

Should be headed the NPI way come mid June.

Comment

I’ve been all over the Caribbean and Florida. And I still enjoy Galveston! Heck no it ain’t the same water, but still peaceful and a clean beach. I’ve never seen a Galveston beach that wasn’t clean. Food is 10000x better than Florida and tons of other “stuff” to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          I’ve been all over the Caribbean and Florida. And I still enjoy Galveston! Heck no it ain’t the same water, but still peaceful and a clean beach. I’ve never seen a Galveston beach that wasn’t clean. Food is 10000x better than Florida and tons of other “stuff” to do.
                          And Port A is way better than Galveston. SPI is even better. Blue water and white sand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            Galveston is the trailer park of beaches. Bolivar is the only beach (I’ve encountered) in TX that I’d consider peaceful- if conditions require using a car/truck to easily access

Comment

A beach is a **** beach. I’ve never understood why the color of the sand matters so much to some people…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X