Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

The two does in one shot made me wonder what some of the best shots you've ever made were or even ones that just turned out to be lucky?

Two that come to mind was when I was a kid. A buddy of mine and I were out shooting birds with our BB Guns and it was about time to call it quits. My buddy said ok let's go. I said let me waste this bb real quick. I pointed my gun up into a tree a squeezed the trigger. A male English Sparrow fell out stone dead. Another time I was shooting prairie dogs with my uncle and he pointed one out to me. I shoot and the prairie dog goes down. About 50 yards behind it and to the left another 25 yards or so the bullet hit another one after it passed through and ricocheted off the ground behind it.

I've shot two doves out of the sky with one shot two times in my life. Hit two coyotes with one shot once as well. I'm sure there's more but that's about it for the ones I didn't plan on having happen the way they did. It was more or less at least one animal was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Collateral damage if you will.

I almost forgot about the piglet that just happened to be running on the other side of a sow I shot one time. The bullet passed through the sow and hit the piglet in the head.

Comment

Gotten a few lucky shots…. Luckiest one was my first archery kill at 16. Texas Dall Ram moved as I released the shot at 14yards making me clip the spine a bit. It takes off jogging with a bit of a limp away from me ….. I grab another arrow and draw back wait for an opening, guess the range and release. Right through the vitals at 36 yards. No clue how I hit it the way I did. Dumb thing on my part was I was videotaping it so that may have led to me multitasking and blowing the original shot.
      Attached Files

Comment

I killed 3 squirrels with one shot under a feeder 22-250 55 grain ballistic tip. About 100 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One time there was a pig running bout 200 yards off and I had pawpaw’s lever action 3030. I said I’ll get it. Dad and pawpaw say bull crap. Threw the gun up all casual like, led it... one shot dirt nap. They were all holy crap and I played it super cool like I knew it was going to work. I could never make that shot again.

Comment

Made about a 500yard shot on a coyote with a Remington 742 30/06 and Remington accelerator 55 grain. On a good day that rifle shot 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the 150 grainers it liked with the accelerators never was able to get it to group less than a paper plate at a 100 yards. That coyote was just really unlucky that day.

Comment

Originally posted by J Loves Huntin View Post
              Gotten a few lucky shots…. Luckiest one was my first archery kill at 16. Texas Dall Ram moved as I released the shot at 14yards making me clip the spine a bit. It takes off jogging with a bit of a limp away from me ….. I grab another arrow and draw back wait for an opening, guess the range and release. Right through the vitals at 36 yards. No clue how I hit it the way I did. Dumb thing on my part was I was videotaping it so that may have led to me multitasking and blowing the original shot.
              Lots of practice and muscle memory mixed with instincts. Sometimes that's all it takes to seal the deal.

Comment

I busted a big gobbler one time. He was running about as fast as any pressured turkey runs. He was running left to right at about a 45 degree angle away from me. 1 shot with the 223 and it went down. He was 257 steps from me. I had 0 expectation of making the shot. It was 90% luck 10% skill. It was getting late in the afternoon on the final day of the hunt. Had no luck calling with the shotgun and let one fly with the rifle. Amazed the heck outta me that I went home with a long beard .

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

My best shot is the 2nd shot here in my video.. Some might say "luckiest" at 33 yards walking, but I played it over in my head what I could have to do once he turned broadside (lead and holding my single pin a tad high) for shot #2 and what I knew I needed to do while he stood there looking at me. Knowing he already had one arrow through him in a less than desirable spot, I knew I needed to get one more in him before he left the pen. Optimal would have been for him to turn broadside but I also knew I may not be able to get him to stop while injured. Worked out pretty good..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1YzgCnd0w"]Skimmer No Brows - YouTube[/ame]
                  Last edited by Smart; 12-24-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I made back to back shots on pigs at ~705 and 810 yds, dropping them both. There were three folks there with me who witnessed it, I think I was in as much awe as they were. I don’t think I could pull that off again.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                      I killed 3 squirrels with one shot under a feeder 22-250 55 grain ballistic tip. About 100 yds.

That's pretty good. I've have some I can't post [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post

Oh yeah that's been known to happen with prairie dogs. If there's several on a mound you can get all or most of them with that exact setup. Bullet fragments and pieces of bone and whatnot can do some damage to the critters in the vicinity of the intended target. Those 55gr. V-Max can really cause some problems.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                          I made back to back shots on pigs at ~705 and 810 yds, dropping them both. There were three folks there with me who witnessed it, I think I was in as much awe as they were. I don’t think I could pull that off again.
                          Thats crazy and fun

Comment

One more I ranged a deer for Pernell on here at 102 yds. Let it ripp shot was drifting to the right deer walked right into it x ring. Ran 30yds drt

Comment

First bow kill was a javi at 40 yards. Got a muley at 45 yards with my bow in colorado public land.

As far as rifle shots go - I’ve gotten 2 pigs with one shot many times at 250 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X