Arrow selection help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow selection help

I’ve never done any calculations on KE or anything to choose equipment. I’m chasing speed and penetration on my new Vertix so I need some help!

28.5” draw length. Currently running 70 lbs. might bump that to 75. I had been maxima reds with my Z7. I’ll be running 100 grain rage hypos on whitetail. Unsure on elk.

Guys on the lease are running deep 6 arrows. They like to shoot out to 100 yards. I plan on it only at targets. Any feedback? Been out of the game for awhile and only shot my bow a little with the stuff I’ve had for years.

I shoot Easton FMJs and am super happy with them. Tough as nails and penetration for days.
    With all the research and input I got for elk I decided on the single bevel Kudu Points. Haven’t gotten a chance to put one through a bull yet.

Comment

I draw 60 lbs. to 28.5” and used the Eastons with my Z7 until I got a Triax last year.

Comment

Dr. Ed Ashby has provided us with decades of critical research focused on arrow and broadhead penetration. This work stands alone and provides global leadership in the areas of bowhunting lethality and ethical hunting practices.

Speed and penetration are two words that normally don’t go together. I recommend reading the 12 penetration factors. Great instructions on how to build a hunting arrow. I call it the penetration system.

Comment

I decided on the Easton injexions

Comment

A lot of folks are going the way of heavy arrows. It’s a proven fact, heavier equals mor KE, momentum, and penetration. Speed is the trade off. I fall in the boat of wanting a combination of both. I have your same bow specs and shooting in the 280’s with a 435gr arrow. It packs plenty of punch and still have a decent trajectory. I’m a single pin user, so I don’t like to sacrifice a tone of speed. I’ve considered going a little heavier, but doubt I’d go past 475 grains. I passed through a 150lb pig at 60 yards last year with my set up.

Bottom line, figure out what it is you want, and go from there. I’d suggest an arrow weight of 450 grains give or take and have the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
              A lot of folks are going the way of heavy arrows. It’s a proven fact, heavier equals mor KE, momentum, and penetration. Speed is the trade off. I fall in the boat of wanting a combination of both. I have your same bow specs and shooting in the 280’s with a 435gr arrow. It packs plenty of punch and still have a decent trajectory. I’m a single pin user, so I don’t like to sacrifice a tone of speed. I’ve considered going a little heavier, but doubt I’d go past 475 grains. I passed through a 150lb pig at 60 yards last year with my set up.

Bottom line, figure out what it is you want, and go from there. I’d suggest an arrow weight of 450 grains give or take and have the best of both worlds.
              Heavier is not more KE— but KE shouldn’t be part of the conversation for hunting archery anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                Heavier is not more KE— but KE shouldn’t be part of the conversation for hunting archery anyway.
                I agree on one hand but on the other... Dont mechanicals need a certain amount of KE to deploy properly? Por ejemplo...the weight and momentum could be in place but an arrow not have the speed for proper KE to deploy the blades on a mech...?

I had to break it down barney style for myself a while back that...KE is force in every direction...versus momentum is force in one direction. Momentum is “force to punch through”...whilst KE is “force to knock down”...which I agree then is not up for discussion in archery.

FWIW...I am not a mech user or a physicist.

Hopefully youre happy with those arrows Trophy8. I look forward to your LDPs.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 12-08-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post

I too shoot a 435 grain arrow around 280fps and it has blown through everything except one buck I drilled in the off shoulder. Im with you in that this setup is possibly the best of both worlds and a very deadly combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X