My love hate relationship with the 13” rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My love hate relationship with the 13” rule

I have seen firsthand the 13” rule work here at our small place in Victoria ( that and getting doe tags ) the quality and number of bucks has gone up tremendously. But this year I have had two encounters with the most mature deer I have ever seen out here. He’s a really tall and thick antlered 7 but right at his ears. Smart sucker shows up early and leaves right before it’s really light enough for me to get a really good look at his width. Beautiful mature deer and has made those sits very exciting. As I type this he walked off to the right and I just heard a shot [emoji50]

That’s how I feel with ARs
    But for meat hunters or newbie hunters, it’s the only way to protect 1.5 or 2.5 yr olds.
    If I ever get a citation, it might be for killing a deer like you described.
    But they seldom live that long anyway on my smaller properties.

BP

Comment

I get ya brother. I would like to think there would some consideration for a buck like that, but I have no confidence in our GWs.

Comment

Young deer have less distance between ear tips than a mature deer

If you think he is 4 or older he may very well be wider than !3"

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          Young deer have less distance between ear tips than a mature deer

If you think he is 4 or older he may very well be wider than !3"
          True

Comment

Agree with you. Had a big bodied mature narrow fork like that as the dominant buck on my place one year. Still seeing his descendants, but overall the AR rule is the best thing that happened to the deer around my place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cram369 View Post
              Agree with you. Had a big bodied mature narrow fork like that as the dominant buck on my place one year. Still seeing his descendants, but overall the AR rule is the best thing that happened to the deer around my place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Antler restrictions is the best thing that has happened to a lot of counties,15 years ago a 110-115” in deer was fairly rare and if one was shot he was a big deer for the area,nowadays someone shoots a 110-115 everyday as a average deer and doesn’t get much attention,now a lot of the normally shot good bucks make it to 125-130” easy and are a everyday common occurrence. Yes there will be an occasional mature non13” buck that may never make a r but that case is few and far between..

Comment

Me to. Land owner is collecting pictures this year and the start of next year to show the Game Warden. We will see..........

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                  Me to. Land owner is collecting pictures this year and the start of next year to show the Game Warden. We will see..........
                  Does not matter. GW don't make the laws they only enforce them. There are no provisions in the law mature or not. That's what MLD program and tags are for.

Comment

Numerous studies show culling doesn't work. It's just an excuse to kill a deer. So it's best to get over the notion that you can improve the herd by culling. As was said above. If it bothers you that much get on MLD.

Comment

I love the rule, we never shoot a buck unless it is at least 5 years old and now after 20 years of doing that we have a steady supply of mature bucks every season to choose from. Changes dont happen over night so you gotta start somewhere and this rule definitely helps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's one we have been watching on camera. Haven't been able to see him in person to see just how close he is.

Last year versus this year
                        Attached Files

Comment

I think the rule has been great down here and of course it’s not perfect and some will slip through.

Well he ended up coming back and I got a good look at him and took the shot. He was right at 13 and called the game warden just to be safe. Weighed just over 180lbs. The warden was super nice and hope to see him around more often. Heaviest deer we have ever shot out here and this place has been in the family for over 100 years. Best part was my daughter was here to experience it all
                          Happy hunting everyone!

Comment

Congrats on the mature buck! And that last picture is what its all about!

Comment

dang congrats on the buck! love that last picture i was looking for some little antlers sticking outta the back of her gator haha

Comment

Working...
                              X