South Texas Hunters 2018 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duval Co.

Our place is toast dry but we had a couple big rains this summer. Deer did well and consumed more protein and cottonseed than years past.

Looks like good rain chances through the weekend and into next week.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
      I love rain in South Texas..... January through July
      I hear you Kevin! But I won't complain about the rain because we'd probably be starting over on deer management if we went through September without it. We got some decent rain in April and May but not enough at once to do anything to the tanks. Most of our them dried up in August and we'd have been piling up dead deer in a bad way if we didn't get water in the tanks. I think we got 6"+ last week so I'll be hunting teal instead of dove if we can even get around this weekend.

Unfortunately, the rain didn't come in time to save the fish. We had some tanks dry up completely that people caught eight pound bass in last fall. Very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggieivy06 View Post
        I hear you Kevin! But I won't complain about the rain because we'd probably be starting over on deer management if we went through September without it. We got some decent rain in April and May but not enough at once to do anything to the tanks. Most of our them dried up in August and we'd have been piling up dead deer in a bad way if we didn't get water in the tanks. I think we got 6"+ last week so I'll be hunting teal instead of dove if we can even get around this weekend.

Unfortunately, the rain didn't come in time to save the fish. We had some tanks dry up completely that people caught eight pound bass in last fall. Very sad.
        Dang, I hate to hear that about the tanks , We had timely rains throughout the summer to keep everything decent looking. June and July were rough, but other than that, we faired ok.

Comment

Pasture greens up......deer don't move.....simple as that
          Early, sure, doesn’t mean the entire season is sunk though.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
            Early, sure, doesn’t mean the entire season is sunk though.
            Need a hard freeze in November. That would be the saving grace. I won't hold my breath for that.

Comment

Need a hard freeze in November. That would be the saving grace. I won't hold my breath for that.
              We usually see a lot of movement in December regardless of rain. I am hoping for a cold winter though, that makes for the best hunting

Comment

We got 9 inches of rain at the ranch the last two days. We needed the rain but I’m supposed to be down tomorrow for opening weekend of dove Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

4 1/2” in the gauge this morning at the lease in Duval co near San Jose. Made a solo trip this weekend being I’m not sure when I’ll make it back before season. Was kinda spooky being there alone, but I had my .45 and my dog to protect me. Big difference already in the greenery from last weekend when we were there.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    We got 9 inches of rain at the ranch the last two days. We needed the rain but I’m supposed to be down tomorrow for opening weekend of dove Friday.

How did it look?? I didn't even mess trying to get out this weekend...the rain has been outstanding all over deep south tx.

Water was running over the roads in several areas in my travels last week & Falcon has a little water under the bridge in Zapata again.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      How did it look?? I didn't even mess trying to get out this weekend...the rain has been outstanding all over deep south tx.

Water was running over the roads in several areas in my travels last week & Falcon has a little water under the bridge in Zapata again.

We got close to 17 inches and there was water all over.

No birds flying either.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

No birds flying either.

Did you try scouting around an established pond...

There are lots of birds in the area & sure they will gather back up if it ever quits...heck, I think we got rain next weekend too.

That's quite a trek for you...just think of all the skeeters waiting for you on the next trip!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          Did you try scouting around an established pond...

There are lots of birds in the area & sure they will gather back up if it ever quits...heck, I think we got rain next weekend too.

That's quite a trek for you...just think of all the skeeters waiting for you on the next trip!!

They were already really bad.

I talking marsh skeeters bad.

Comment

Our place is down by Hebbronville, wondering if anyone else is experiencing major downtime during the rut? Seems like trying to kill one with a stick bow in late December is nigh on impossible.

Comment

Tagged once again.. This will be year 15 in San Ygnacio. We killed one good buck last year. I am ready. if Falcon has water back under 83 in Zapata. That is awesome. I don't remember the last time water was that high.

Comment

Talked to our ranch owner today. 7" since the beginning of the month. 13" total this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X