Granger Baiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granger Baiting

Are the park rangers in Granger picky about leaving an area baited for a while? I know that the rules say no permanent baiting but I'm not sure what they mean my permanent.

I was wanting to rope a sewage pipe to a tree filled with corn and leave it for few weeks.

If they would not allow the sewage pipe would they be OK with digging a few holes and baiting those with corn?

[QUOTE=rrh2;977781]
    I was wanting to rope a sewage pipe to a tree filled with corn and leave it for few weeks.
    /QUOTE]

I don't know the rules, exactly, but this happens all the time. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's fine to dig holes and bury corn.

Comment

[QUOTE=TXJon;977872]
      Originally posted by rrh2 View Post
      /QUOTE]

I don't know the rules, exactly, but this happens all the time. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's fine to dig holes and bury corn.

Fed them hogs with everything and everyway last year and all I got was a back ache, money lost and some good trail cam photos. Your better off just stalking them out there. I've killed several using that method inclusing one this weekend that went 125. They just don't move to any feed till dark. You can try and get on a run to several of the feeders that are are private land which border Granger. I've videoed that working a few times right before dark.

Good luck

Comment

You can try and get on a run to several of the feeders that are are private land which border Granger. I've videoed that working a few times right before dark.
        He's on to something here, I've got gps coords to some private land feeders on the fencline, but chances are you won't be in the same area we were.

Comment

Hope they're not my feeders!!

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
            Hope they're not my feeders!!
            lol

Comment

WOW!!! Hunting other peoples feeders, that almost poaching isn't it? May not be the safest way of hunting or a honest way.

Comment

Originally posted by chewy View Post
                WOW!!! Hunting other peoples feeders, that almost poaching isn't it? May not be the safest way of hunting or a honest way.

As a person with a deer lease that boarders public hunting land let me tell ya.....sitting up on someone elses hard work (and money to fill feeders) is pretty crummy and LAZY.

I've talked to some of my neighbors and they're all fed up with public land hunters sitting on their fence lines or even coming onto their land after game, so they've taken up shooting like crazy aorund prime hunting hours if they see someone using those tactics or tearing up their blinds when they find them near their fences.

As a former public lands hunter myself, I don't mess with other peoples set-ups, heck there's even a guy set-up just behind our ranch right now that I'm feeding deer for him, but its a good way to get into a conflict with land owners if you choose to do it, just a humble warning.

The right thing to do is put in YOUR own hard work and scouting to claim your animal and you will that much prouder of what you have accomplished.

Comment

Been dealing with crap like this since 1997. We litteraly spend thousands of dollars per year trying to improve the deer herd, and every year we get public hunters trespassing and on more than one ocasion POACHING!! It really sucks that we have to put forth all of the effort and have some stranger hunting next to our feeders. Its also not wise to sit next to a feeder that will most likely be in the line of fire. Keep in mind most land owners in Granger are rifle hunters!!

Comment

Thanks you to those that responded to my initial question. I didn't intend to create issues.

Don't worry guys, I don't plan on hunting at YOUR feeders!!

Comment

I want to make it clear that Im not saying that land owners are the only ones intitled to hunt at Granger, Im jsut saying that it is rude and disrespectful set up on someone elses feeder. The thought should never cross anyones mind, and I know that the majority of public hunters are indeed honest and ethical hunters who would do no such thing. Unfortunatly there will always be a few that will.
                      Last edited by gbeard; 10-21-2008, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Whoah there, we weren't hunting on the fenceline, we were hunting the trails going to
                        the feeders, lots of public land hunters do this if you didn't know, it works extemely good.
                        We were quite far from the feeder just intercepting the game as went to feed. Its funny you see the
                        public land hunters as the pest, because the guys that run granger, johnny and such
                        see some of the private landowners as unethical in hunting the fencelines since
                        all the game comes off corp land. For people who don't know granger is an island
                        habitat surrounded by plowed blackland fields, if it weren't for the corp land
                        there would be no deer or hogs there. Now let me ask you this, is there actually
                        cover and habitat on your private land where deer stay or are you one of the landowners
                        with tall towerblind in a dirt field facing a feeder on the corp fenceline, and
                        a hog trap butted right up against the fence?

Comment

ran into the same situation on tawakoni a few years back. same deal private land with blinds on the boundry line and a few hog traps on the boundry line. i got away from the are pretty fast because those blinds are for gun hunters and i was not going to put myself in the line of fire, never mind ethics its just not safe. then comes ethics.

Comment

Nope not me.... we have about 1500 acres of hevily wooded area that deer stay in.. about 1500 more cultivated that we plant alot of food plots in.. Land is on three sides of the lake.. I contact the wildlife biologist for this area throughout the year to see what needs to be done for the heard.. We set up management plans for doe to be taken from the property and bucks if needed.. We feed year round protein.. I am very aware as to why the deer are here bc my grandpa had a lot to do with getting them here (turkey also, a lot of which were released in our river bottom ) ... He was also a dedicated conservationist throughout his life.. Hogs on the other hand are not supposed to be here.. That was a big accident. Thats why they bring helocopters in once in a while to kill them.. Also, a decient amount of the hunting land available to public hunters is land that we sold to the Army Corps of Engineers when the lake was built..

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
                              Nope not me.... we have about 1500 acres of hevily wooded area that deer stay in.. about 1500 more cultivated that we plant alot of food plots in.. Land is on three sides of the lake.. I contact the wildlife biologist for this area throughout the year to see what needs to be done for the heard.. We set up management plans for doe to be taken from the property and bucks if needed.. We feed year round protein.. I am very aware as to why the deer are here bc my grandpa had a lot to do with getting them here (turkey also, a lot of which were released in our river bottom ) ... He was also a dedicated conservationist throughout his life.. Hogs on the other hand are not supposed to be here.. That was a big accident. Thats why they bring helocopters in once in a while to kill them.. Also, a decient amount of the hunting land available to public hunters is land that we sold to the Army Corps of Engineers when the lake was built..
                              Those dirt feilds surrounding the wma grow a variety of crops that are responsible for a large amount of the deers diet. Without them the deer would probably not be as big.. Even though I believe that the quality of deer around granger is dwindeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X