Official 2008 public land thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official 2008 public land thread

Ok guys, Lets hear it. What did you see? Was anyone lucky enough to tag an animal?

I know someone who gave a buck a ride in his truck out of a unit in LBJ!! That is all.

Comment

A buck this early!!! Thats awesome!

Comment

lets see a pic of the LBJ buck!! i saw a guy on horsback that rode by around 8am......guess i shouldve scouted horse activity too?!

Comment

How about you guys at Somerville? Paintman? How did you do?

Comment

No go for me at LBJ, I could only hunt till 9am, so just a quickie. Had another hunter climb up a ladder stand about 40yds from me just before sunrise, oh well, that's public hunting Glad to hear someone got one! Any word on how good a buck it was?

Comment

sommerville buck

To anyone that hunted sommerville this weekend or in the future... I hunted there on the Nails unit.. off of the south end on FM180 and the other fm road( i think its fm 1687..not sure) I was hunting about 3/8 to 1/2 mile in the place and stuck an eight point sat morning at about 8:05. was 18 yards, quartering away. The shot seemed perfect, behind the shoulder, possibly a little high after rethinking. dad and I searched for almost 3 hours and NO blood at all. I ran into another hunter who was about 80 yards hunting from me, said about 8:10 am or so he saw this deer run past him..saw what he thought was the broadhead end of the shaft sticking out. The deer was 8pts for sure, maybe 1 or 2 more and 15" +or- wide. he also had very dark horns..you won't mistake this. What a BUMMER for opening weekend. Anyway, if anyone hears or sees of this deer..Dead or Alive..I would greatly apreciate to hear of it.. From everything I observed and with no blood, I may have hit a little high or a tad foward..he may be ok and live...Also, the entry was on his right side, my arrow was a gold tip with 2 yellow and 1 white 4" vanes and a 100 grain thunderhead..if any of this will help. Thanks a million to anyone who may see or find this deer and let me know about it.

Comment

I didn't see a deer at all. Got a shot off at a hog that would have gone 150-175 . Clean miss.

Comment

well ill be hunting in nails tomarrow night and yugua creek area tuesday, wednesday and thursday. Ill keep my eyes peeled for buzzerds and let you know.

Comment

Somerville WMA

How were the crowds in Somerville. My 12 yr old is looking to kill his first bow deer, but wanted the crowd to calm down.

Comment

I had 11 deer come in, total. 2 bucks, 6 & an 8 point w/ smaller racks so I passed. The other 9 of course does. Tried to take some meat home but when I drew back on my Whisker Biscuit it make a Pfft! sound that alerted her so I got stuck mid-draw for about 3 minutes (not fun) then she circles around and walks right up in front of me at about 15'ft until she looks me dead in the eye and realizes she's in a world of hurt in a second. 'corse she busted though. All in all though it was an exciting day as I saw alot of deer and got to at least sit in my blind finally. Anybody know how to silence a Whisker Biscuit rest? I was thinking about trying some Graphite?

Comment

5 or 6

I saw a 5 or 6 point 15 yards on the other side of some brush at 8:10 AM Saturday morning and a yote an hour and a half earlier. And a skunk Sat evening was all I saw while on stand. I didn't hear of anyone actually taking any animals but heard someone was 'paradeing' a buck on LBJ but I didn't see him.

Comment

nothing for me at LBJ...

Comment

I helped a fellow hunter drag one out of sommerville. Nice big fat doe.

Comment

didnt see anything out at somerville. Way too many hunters.

Comment

Working...
                              X