Sam Houston (Kellys Pond Area)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Houston (Kellys Pond Area)?

Went out saturday afternoon and scouted some old and new spots. I have not been to S.H.N.F. in 15 years was surprised that they paved the main road. Any how found a spot that looked promising walked in 100 yards and right off the bat started finding scrapes rubs and tracks in every direction. Didn't see any deer but dont' remember finding this kind of deer sign back 15 years ago. I only saw a few other vehicles driving around. Does the Kellys Pond area of the N.F. get packed on opening weekend like it did back then?

last time I hunted the Sam it did! Especially around there and if its only 100 yards off a main trail.

Comment

good luck.....you'll have to keep us posted on how it goes....i hunted in shnf a couple yrs ago(not opening week) and didnt see much other than hogs

Comment

Kelly's Pond area will be filled with hunters camping during the opener and several weekends afterwards. A lot of them walk out from camp to hunt. There are some good creek bottoms around there. We used to coon hunt at night around there and jumped up bucks all the time.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, i will probably camp some were along the Kellys pond road but will drive a 1/2 mile or so down the road from the intersection of the Kellys Pond road and the Main road. Back in the 92'-93 season i helped a guy drag the biggest buck i have ever laid my hands on and he was hunting 100 yards or so off the pipeline that crosses right there close to the camp area. It was a main frame 12pt with 5-1/2 inch bases and had a 24 inch spread. He was using tinks 69, and it was the friday after Thanksgiving. almost 3 weeks from opening day, so you never know.

Comment

Working...
          X