Granger standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granger standby

I've heard that it's a good chance you can get drawn on standby at Granger for archery deer. Is this true?
    Also, how hard are the deer hunting conditions there? Stands provided, vehicle access, campsites, etc.

the man out at the checkin point told me if you showed up at the time of the hunt if someone doesnt show up that got drawn theyll take you uot.i believe you have to pay the 120 dollars also,ive seen some monster bucks at granger but im not sure about the rest

Comment

I cant speak from expereince but from what i have heard from other guys
      (im sure they will chime in at some point) you can do stand by with any drawing hunt. Just show up and if anyone who was drawn doesnt show then i guess they start picking or first come first serve or some type or process.. YOu do have to pay the 120 for the hunt. Also from what i have heard bring everything you will need with you cause you will be put right in on the hunt last min..

Comment

I've heard that it's a good chance you can get drawn on standby at Granger for archery deer. Is this true?
        Also, how hard are the deer hunting conditions there? Stands provided, vehicle access, campsites, etc.
        Not true we were drawn last year, and three guys showed up on standby, and they were sent home and unhappy I must add. There was only one hunter who didn't show up and he had paid his $125, I guess since they had thier quota on money they weren't letting anyone else in. There were some guys there telling a story of a group that drove down for kansas or something on standby and they did not let them hunt either. Also it is not first come first serve, if the wildlife manager sees fit to fill open spot (and remember they don't always fill empty spots), and several hunters show up they will put all names in a hat and and do a side drawing...unless one of the managers buddies show up.

Comment

I'm not sure about Granger but at some of the WMA'S if you pay your money your slot is reserved for the whole hunt whether you show up or not.
          At the regular place I hunt and get drawn for, they recommend that you call first prior to the hunt to see if there are any 'standby slots' available.

Comment

anyone else have any experience with standby at granger?

Comment

My hometown! Ive always hunted at my buddy's house right outside the parks and if you hunt it right you can come away with awesome bucks, like the huge 12 pt he took last year. Ive heard of a couple guys gettin drawn because of no-shows. If you do get picked then i would recommend you take everything with you tho like txsuperdad23 said.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

My hometown too. Lots of people get in on standby!

Comment

I hunt Granger for hogs a bit and I can say there are piles of DAMM fine bucks there. But I will also tell you the draw hunters have a low harvest success rate. The process is that they put you at a 'posting' site, and you can move around to get a good spot within eyesight of the post. But if your post site happens to not be a good one, you have little chance of taking a deer.

Comment

That's my home town. It's a great place to grow up.

Comment

Can't say I ever hunted a public hunt place that worked the way that was described with post hunting. The compartment hunts I have been on turn you loose in a certain area, which they call pastures, and they have boundary lines that may be fences, roads, or etc. Best bet is probably to call the place to see how they work it but thats a first that I have ever heard of post hunting, should say by assinged blind if thats the way they work it. Holler at me if you need the number or it is posted on the parks and wildlife website.

Comment

I Was drawn there last year,you can get on as standby,they give you an area to hunt,you furnish your own stands and you have to stay in the Corps of Engineers campgound. Nothing was ever said to us about a "post sight" and yes the harvest is low.You have to stick to your area and theyre pretty large areas
                        Last edited by Longstick; 10-25-2008, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Check out the TPWD website for draw hunts. You can look back at statistics for last year and previous years and see how many showed up for stand by and how many stand by's got to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by DRSHUNTER View Post
                            Check out the TPWD website for draw hunts. You can look back at statistics for last year and previous years and see how many showed up for stand by and how many stand by's got to hunt.
                            This is what i finally did. I noticed there were a few exotics taken in years past on these hunts. What type of exotics are there, or are they considering hogs as an exotic?

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post
                            Not true we were drawn last year, and three guys showed up on standby, and they were sent home and unhappy I must add. There were some guys there telling a story of a group that drove down for kansas or something on standby and they did not let them hunt either.
                            Last year there were 31 spots and only 21 people showed up for standby, so i don't see why anyone was turned away. Previous years had similar results.

Comment

we had a group of 4 that didnt show last year

Comment

Working...
                              X