What Thermal Scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    What's a entry level slug gun nv/thermal scope?
    Photon RT?
    Save your money as those are crap.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      As compared to what? A Maglight duct taped to the end of your barrel or a $8,000 Trijicon REAP-IR? Seriously, not picking a fight here but not everyone has a thermal budget. If he saved up $1,899 to buy a Pulsar Core RXQ30V you'd say that was crap too.

I deal with customers every day who will never be able to afford thermal or will just never be willing to spend their money for thermal and I'll tell you what, some of those guys kill more hogs and coyotes with their Photons than most guys I know with thermal.

I say, get into the night hunting game with whatever budget you have and go have fun doing it. If that's a Mag light duct taped to the end of your barrel, go for it!

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
        As compared to what? A Maglight duct taped to the end of your barrel or a $8,000 Trijicon REAP-IR? Seriously, not picking a fight here but not everyone has a thermal budget. If he saved up $1,899 to buy a Pulsar Core RXQ30V you'd say that was crap too.

I say, get into the night hunting game with whatever budget you have and go have fun doing it. If that's a Mag light duct taped to the end of your barrel, go for it!

Jason
        What do you think of the ATN X sight Pro 4000?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
          What do you think of the ATN X sight Pro 4000?
          Save your money, those are crap.

No seriously, I think the X-Sight 4K are "ok" optics and I think they have certain features that are really good and better than the Photon RT's such as an incremental zoom and full HD color for daytime use. I also think the night time image quality is really good. I think they have an under powered IR illuminator compared to the Photon RT and I don't believe they are near as reliable as the Photons. I think ATN's customer service is a nightmare and I wouldn't personally advise anyone to buy one. I know a lot of guys who LOVE their X-Sights, even the older models and they wouldn't trade them for 3 Photons. Saltwater Slick on here is one of those guys.

So in my opinion, I wouldn't advise someone to buy one unless they know the caveats and are willing to take the risks because they want the features. As with all ATN products, my complaints about the optics themselves (and I do have complaints) isn't near as big as my complaints about the manufacturer and their (lack of) customer service.

But again, to each their own. And if I do say something is junk, I will have a detailed reason why from my hands on use in the field and I'll do my best to offer a comparable alternative.

Comment

Shot/slug gun application this would be perfect.
            I demo'd this unit in an open field over a year ago. Spotted running coyote at 200 yards easily.
            It has the highest recoil warranty on the market .50 cal.
            If I was hunting with a shot gun I'd have this unit mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post

I deal with customers every day who will never be able to afford thermal or will just never be willing to spend their money for thermal and I'll tell you what, some of those guys kill more hogs and coyotes with their Photons than most guys I know with thermal.

Jason
              I would save up for that $2k thermal personally over that cheap NV. I have looked thru one with an improved IR light and many brands and models of thermal.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                For under 3k I would go with Pulsar apex xq38. Will kill just as many hogs as the Trijicon will.
                This^^^^^^^ without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                  For under 3k I would go with Pulsar apex xq38. Will kill just as many hogs as the Trijicon will.
                  I have to agree hands down at that great price point.

But to say it will kill as many hogs as a reap or Mark 2/3 is not true. I have used Pulsar and Trijicon

Comment

I have to agree hands down at that great price point.

But to say it will kill as many hogs as a reap or Mark 2/3 is not true. I have used Pulsar and Trijicon
                    Sure it will! It depends on the shooter and if their gun is reliable. Now if you scouting for hogs, then I think you should go with a 640x480. Which the Reap or Mark series offers better cores for that.
                    Last edited by altez; 11-29-2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      Thinking I "deserve" a thermal scope to help with my feral hog control efforts but don't want to spend at the Trijicon level. Most I've looked at only have a few reviews and I like to see lots of them, even if some are bad.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good thermal/IR scope in the $3k and under range that could ride my M70 .22-250?
                      I was eradicating hogs in Sequin over the weekend for a farmer. If that's where you are, send me a PM. Happy to demo both and entry level Pulsar Trail and also the top of the line. I don't sell them—just like to shoot them.

Comment

Well, after talking extensively to Jason, I settled on the XQ50. Got it this week, and have played with it outside a bit trying to figure out everything. Still waiting for the rail to mount it on my M70 Featherweight, but tonight I took it to the pasture for a walk-around. It is gonna be fun!!!! I just walked out to the feeder and behind the brush to look to the north fence---spotted 4 deer, 4 skunks, and a bunch of cows. I will need to tinker a bit with contrast, etc. but I think the hogs are gonna pay.

Comment

Well, after talking extensively to Jason, I settled on the XQ50. Got it this week, and have played with it outside a bit trying to figure out everything. Still waiting for the rail to mount it on my M70 Featherweight, but tonight I took it to the pasture for a walk-around. It is gonna be fun!!!! I just walked out to the feeder and behind the brush to look to the north fence---spotted 4 deer, 4 skunks, and a bunch of cows. I will need to tinker a bit with contrast, etc. but I think the hogs are gonna pay.
                          Good choice! Jason is good to deal with.

Comment

in for the KAP pics! good luck!

Comment

XQ is a solid choice and the bet in that price range IMO/

Enjoy

Comment

That's awesome! Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Hogs Beware!

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X