Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
peterp63
Ten Point

Default Neighbor Hunting Agreements?

Well, we are starting our search for a property to hunt, shoot, ATV, etc. Wont be our primary due to us wanting to keep kids in a good school system. Katy doesn’t have many 50+ acres tracts for sale haha.

Question for the GS: have any of y’all approached neighbors to start an agreed upon deer mgmt program? My goal is to avoid the neighbor that shoots everything with antlers by working together and educating them and learning them how to age... maybe even a protein program. We’d be talking 50-100 acre properties where I’ve been looking recently. Seems like a tall task so lookin for experience/advice.
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

It sure can’t hurt. You will know after meeting the potential neighbors if they are management minded or not. Even still there’s nothing to keep you or them from shooting whatever y’all want.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
It sure can’t hurt. You will know after meeting the potential neighbors if they are management minded or not. Even still there’s nothing to keep you or them from shooting whatever you want.

Yeah, exactly. No laws other than county tag limits, but they can still bring their daughters, sons, uncles, etc. to kill every decent young buck in the area. Pretty much the reason we’ll keep our large acre lease is to avoid folks like this for hunting purposes and maybe just cross our fingers for the property regarding whitetail...
Old 05-11-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Good luck. I've had no luck with this and have tried for four years. My neighbors shoot lots of 3.5 and 4.5 year olds. I have never seen a 5.5+ year old deer while hunting in four years. Sad to say but when my parents leave me the place someday I am selling and heading South to buy something with better hunting. I can't gripe though, if they're legal bucks it isn't any of my business what they shoot as it's their property. My neighbors appreciate the protein I feed though, LOL!
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Good luck. I've had no luck with this and have tried for four years. My neighbors shoot lots of 3.5 and 4.5 year olds. I have never seen a 5.5+ year old deer while hunting in four years. Sad to say but when my parents leave me the place someday I am selling and heading South to buy something with better hunting.

Sounds way too familiar. Funny that these guys think they’re shooting these super old mature bucks and you see pics and they’re 2.5-3.5 year olds (with loads of potential). Just part of it I guess...

We are also looking further away from the city, as well. South and West.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Well, we are starting our search for a property to hunt, shoot, ATV, etc. Wont be our primary due to us wanting to keep kids in a good school system. Katy doesn’t have many 50+ acres tracts for sale haha.

Question for the GS: have any of y’all approached neighbors to start an agreed upon deer mgmt program? My goal is to avoid the neighbor that shoots everything with antlers by working together and educating them and learning them how to age... maybe even a protein program. We’d be talking 50-100 acre properties where I’ve been looking recently. Seems like a tall task so lookin for experience/advice.
Maybe don't lead with that. Feel them out first.

But yes, if they're about killing good deer they'll agree to at least something. great response where I live, but I only have a couple of neighbors.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #7
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:

Uncle Jerry is this you ?

You aren’t gonna take a Supremacist view of game management and when lil Jimmy shoots his first little buck, make him feel bad about it instead of congratulate him are you ?

You understand where I’m coming from right, it is “their” land.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #8
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny44 View Post
Uncle Jerry is this you ?

You aren’t gonna take a Supremacism view of game management and when lil Jimmy shoots his first little buck, make him feel bad about it instead of congratulate him are you ?

You understand where I’m coming from right, it is “their” land.

Haha yeah I hear ya. Definitely not. But would like to follow “rules” similar to a managed lease where “Little Johnny” shoots management quality bucks or a doe for his first.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #9
Johnny44
Ten Point

Managing for what is the question. Animals seem to be managing themselves just fine especially if you are just a yearling meat hunter.

Some folk couldn’t care less about trophies.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

At that amount of acreage just enjoy being outdoors. Otherwise you're going to wear yourself out being worried about what the neighbor just shot or how they're enjoying their own property.

Family time outdoors shooting and riding 4 wheelers is fun enough. Hunting would be the cherry on top.
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #11
Walker
Ten Point

Please don't take this wrong but you're worried about your neighbor shooting the wrong or too many deer and he's gonna be worried about all the activity on your place. Kids riding atvs, shooting at targets etc.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #12
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Please don't take this wrong but you're worried about your neighbor shooting the wrong or too many deer and he's gonna be worried about all the activity on your place. Kids riding atvs, shooting at targets etc.

I see what you’re saying, but mostly just talking about good deer herd management.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #13
Johnny44
Ten Point

Peterp, I love you brother but I have this uncle. And I shoot every year old antler-less deer (balls or not) just to spite him. Might not sound like much but if you multiply 1 antler-less deer per day for the state I do this in, some years its over 70 deer.

The craziest part is I think it contributed to better bucks for the youngins.

Maybe feel them out brother

Last edited by Johnny44; 05-11-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #14
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Even though yall agree on something, no way that you would know what they were doing. Talk is nothing anymore.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #15
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

I have met several neighbors. a few of us on TBH hunt close together and talk. I don't think we see many of the same deer, but we talk all the time about fawn crops, rain, and general conditions. We share some photos. It's nice to see what someone else has as a 4 year old.. 5 year old, 6... 7.. etc.

never hurts to know your neighbors.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #16
Honker
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the wild things are

We've been fortunate that at least one neighbor was conservation minded and together we've started to influence our other neighbors. It took a couple of years for our family to be accepted by the other established landowners and we've worked towards building friendships.

Change has to start somewhere.
Honker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #17
Johnny44
Ten Point

Know why you shouldn’t feed the bears or lazy folk ?

Guess dats conservation and management too.

Sorry if I don’t take the helpless animal view.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #18
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honker View Post
We've been fortunate that at least one neighbor was conservation minded and together we've started to influence our other neighbors. It took a couple of years for our family to be accepted by the other established landowners and we've worked towards building friendships.

This!
Old 05-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #19
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

THey are usually awesome ideas until your neighbors nephew sees a 2yo 8pt or 3yo 10pt.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #20
Low Fence
Pope & Young

My neighbors have agreed to pass all non mature bucks with potential... unless they actually see it while hunting.

It is a lovely dream though and sounds productive!
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #21
drslonghorn
Six Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Good luck, probably a steep uphill climb. I know from experience.
drslonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #22
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
My neighbors have agreed to pass all non mature bucks with potential... unless they actually see it while hunting.

It is a lovely dream though and sounds productive!

Ha!!
Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #23
Homer75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette county

Quote:

That’s no true, look at La Prada in Fulshear.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #24
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
That’s no true, look at La Prada in Fulshear.

Wow.. just googled. That’s a nice spot! Over my budget for 75 acres though!!
Old 05-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #25
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Best place I ever hunted was 15 acres. Surrounded by exactly what you describe. Lots of activity and lots of surprises opening weekend. Buy your piece if heaven. Do on that piece as you feel. And do not attempt to govern the neighbors.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 09:33 PM   #26
Whampuscat2
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico, Concho County, Walker County, Colorado County

We put one together in Colorado county, a while back, called Harvey Creek Coop. Worked out good, til TPWD got involved.
Whampuscat2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #27
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Good luck. Got a new neighbor last year. I talked with him about trying to manage deer to their full potential. I have been feeding for years and showed them pictures of two 4.5 ( a ten and twelve pointer with kickers ) year old deer that would definately been exceptional bucks in another two years. They killed both bucks the first time they saw them.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 09:39 PM   #28
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret

Wouldn't hurt to feel them out. Either way, don't waste the effort trying to "educate" them. More often than not you'll come across as mr elitist horn hunter, and that just ticks people off. I hunt 50 ac, and any "management" you do means nothing unless you get a bunch of property involved, not enough worth having a bad relationship with the neighbors.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #29
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

It always goes well when people from the city buy rural property and want to tell the locals what to do on theirs. Buying land in a co-op would be your best bet. We’ve got some in our area that have 50 acres and think they own thousands.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2021, 11:04 PM   #30
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

No disrespect, but Sounds like I wouldn’t want you as my neighbor.

You want to be the new guy in an area and you think you’re going to “educate” them?
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 12:00 AM   #31
jer_james
Pope & Young

Enjoy your property - get to know your Neighbors and be Neighborly ... I don't know anyone that has land/property that wants to be educated on what to do with their land.
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 01:46 AM   #32
AggieRod
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr/Hidalgo Co.

Just manage your property the way you as the owner sees fit. Let the other property owners manage their property as they see fit.
AggieRod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 06:19 AM   #33
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I don’t think I’d be to neighborly with the guy from Katy who owns 50 acres next to me for shootin and ATVing coming over to educate me on deer management. lol
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 06:23 AM   #34
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honker View Post

Set your expectations low so the letdown won't be as painful.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 06:36 AM   #35
LAW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction,Mullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
managing for what is the question. Animals seem to be managing themselves just fine especially if you are just a yearling meat hunter.

Some folk couldn’t care less about trophies.
true
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #36
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Bought two different places in the last 10 years under 100 acres. I just made sure my neighbor properties were much, much larger and I had permanent water. Run feeders year 'round and that keeps enough on my property to feed a small army.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #37
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

My only thought is that “ATVing” and deer management don’t belong in the same sentence on 50 acre tracts.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #38
Ætheling
Pope & Young

If you are on a lease and one gun is hunting 3-400 acres and you move to a situation where it is one gun (probably more) per 50 acres than imagine a 4k acre lease with well over 100 guns on it. There just isnt a scenario where you can properly manage that unless a lot of your neighbors are not hunting. It could be done but basically you would have to get around 100 neighbors to stop hunting for 4 years to get maturity built up. Then due to population density per acre of that area the majority of hunters would have to agree to not take any deer at all most years so that only mature bucks are harvested. a 4k area is not going to produce year to year 100 plus mature bucks. 40 acres per buck is just not going to happen with free range wild deer.

If you are going to have small acreage you need a feeder source for animals. State and National Forests, 2-5 acre tract neighborhoods, golf courses, and major water ways. Buy along this or forget about mature deer.
Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #39
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Waste of time IMO. What somebody says and what they actually do are 2 very different things. As somebody said above, don’t hurt to ask, But I still say it’s a waste of time. Good luck.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #40
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County, Williamson County, Burnet County

I'm not saying your intentions are not good, but the optics of some guy from Katy buying 50 acres next to me to shoot and ATV around on all off-season, then trying to talk about deer management is not great. I don't think you intend to have a condescending tone so many of the comments you are getting here may be unwarranted. My best advice would be to get to know your neighbors and what their hunting goals are. If you think that can mesh with yours then great. If not just communicate what you intend to do and hope they join in with your vision at some point. We have a neighbor with completely different goals but we maintain a great relationship regardless. Over the years he has adopted some of our mindset.

All that being said, 50-100 acres is nearly impossible to manage unless you have large neighbors doing the same. Good luck and just try to have realistic expectations with whatever land you buy. Good luck.
centex_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #41
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

You could try to get them to join a management Coop, but unless every property around you is on board its basically futile. We have neighbors that "agree" to only take mature bucks, but when a 140" 3 or 4 year old jumps the fence they lose their minds and can't pull the trigger fast enough. We still get a few that make it every year, so I can't complain too much, but I'd love to see what it would be like if they all made it to maturity.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #42
Benno
Four Point

I think it’s an absolutely great idea. If you’re my neighbor stop by one weekend and we can go over what I will allow you to shoot, what you need to feed and acceptable times for you to ride atvs and do some plinking.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #43
toledo
Ten Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Ive tried more than once with zero luck. People have their own ideas and are going to do what they want. My neighbors consist of "i aint never shot a doe in my life", "we come up at thanksgiving and christmas and "manage" to get a few", "we shoot anything outside the ears", and "screw them antler restrictions, I dont shoot nothing unless its a B&C or one of those "messed up bucks". I'm thinking the last guy is the culprit to why we have nothing but a ton of generic 8 points. People will rationalize whatever is needed to do what the want.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #44
Johnny44
Ten Point

You mean Supremacist will “rationalize” their methods are more “enlightened” than others.

Come on man !
Old 05-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #45
HTOWN
Eight Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

I have 130 acres. My neighbors have about the same with a few much larger tracts. We are behind a gate and are all friends.
We got with one another and have about 80% on board with a good program. It's worked out great.

Had 3 axis show up, and now it's around 50 a few years later. We all agree to let them walk for a few years. So it can work. Most land owners want what's best for the herd and property from what I can see.
HTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #46
98ag
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Hill Country

It sounds like you are worried about what the neighbors are going to shot before you even buy the property. That is probably not going to go well.
98ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #47
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

With that small of acreage you need 10-20 like-minded neighbors to really make a difference.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #48
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
With that small of acreage you need 10-20 like-minded neighbors to really make a difference.
I’ve seen some of the biggest bucks 25 yards behind the dumpster at quick marts, industrial areas, ball fields, and other places where nobody hunts. So management ain’t got as much to do with things as the Supremacist thinks.

You want that big buck, don’t be there and when you are there you ain’t there.

Oh wait, does management mean hunting over a corn feeder ?

Deer can manage themselves but you gotta manage to take one on their terms.

Last edited by Johnny44; 05-12-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #49
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Good luck. Got a new neighbor last year. I talked with him about trying to manage deer to their full potential. I have been feeding for years and showed them pictures of two 4.5 ( a ten and twelve pointer with kickers ) year old deer that would definately been exceptional bucks in another two years. They killed both bucks the first time they saw them.
Not gonna lie, if i buy a place and my new neighbor stops by to explain or suggest "our" new management strategy and to show me pics of the bucks I should "let go for a couple of years", I'm probably shooting them at first sight on basic principle, especially if they're nice bucks.

Last edited by bullets13; 05-12-2021 at 01:55 PM.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #50
gfulton
Ten Point

IMHO won't work just save up and buy more acres west of you, Young County, etc.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top