Freshwater outboard in saltwater flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freshwater outboard in saltwater flush

I know iv saw suggestions on here but couldn't search them up. I'm taking my boat down to Port Aransas next week and I'm looking for suggestions on flushing the motor after I run it. Just straight water or do I need to buy the additive to run thru it ? What about washing the trolling motor after? Thanks.

18ft tracker tournament v with 115 optimax

Comment

I fish with a buddy all the time in saltwater, he flushes motor everytime with additive I think its called saltaway, a boat mechanic in bay city recommended to do it everytime you can even spray the whole boat down with it

Comment

Running a 2003 Motor that has only been in saltwater and has never had the additive through it, just water, let it run for 10-15 minutes.

Comment

I used the salt away for a while. But all i do is run fresh water through mine.

Comment

Freshwater flush is all you need. I have never used an additive in the flush.

Comment

I hook the hose to mine after every trip and let the water flush it till I can no longer taste salt coming from the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

WD40 all the exterior nuts and bolts on the motor as well.

Comment

Corrosion x is way better than wd 40. It eats corrosion up, and leaves a protective layer on everything that wont evaporate.

Comment

Just stop at a lake on the way home and make a quick circle. That will also help clean the salt off your trailer.
                    Last edited by denimdeerslayer; 05-06-2021, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Corrosion X does a good job of protecting from corrosion but dang I hate working on a motor with that gunk all over it.

Comment

My Honda motors just have a water hose connector, so it’s just fresh water and everything gets a coating of fluid film or corrosion X under cover and on the steering

Comment

My 2002 Yamaha had heat alarm going off about 4 years ago. Changed everything on the motor still went off. Finally took the heads off and the water ports were really corroded and caused a restriction. Cleaned them it fixed the problem. And I flushed every time I got back.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated just a good freshwater flush. I’d be more worried about the trailer, what kind is it?

Comment

Same as most here. I have a 32 yr old 30 hp & a 16 yr old 175. Both purchased new by me. never flushed with anything but fresh water.

Comment

Working...
                              X