Lining a pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lining a pond

Has anybody tried to line a stock tank with heavy six mill black plastic. Did it hold water fine. Did you have problems with animal stepping through and breaking the tarp. Just looking to see if it’s a viable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
    Has anybody tried to line a stock tank with heavy six mill black plastic. Did it hold water fine. Did you have problems with animal stepping through and breaking the tarp. Just looking to see if it’s a viable option.

I have seen where people have used billboard vinyls.

I have personally bought a few of these for other uses other than a pond liner and as I can say is they are tough.

Comment

I have been thinking of doing the 6mill plastic route for a couple years. I really need to give it a try.

Comment

Drilling fluid Bentonite will seal it right up. You can contact any foundation drilling company or oilfield drilling company these folks are willing to give it away for free and will truck it to your pond for free to avoid the dump fees.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
          I have seen where people have used billboard vinyls.

I have personally bought a few of these for other uses other than a pond liner and as I can say is they are tough.

https://www.billboardvinyls.com/?utm...ogIkhxQ1ZzSiJ9
          I have bought these for other uses too. Makes a great tarp you just have to put your own grommets in them. Grommet kit from homer depot cheap.

Comment

6 mil is not very heavy. I can’t imagine that they would work.

When I see pond liners specified they usually start at 20 and go up from there. They are also welded at the joints, which I doubt works with 6 mil. If they aren’t, the liner will just float up when the water gets under them.

Comment

6 mil seems awful thin for a tank liner. The ones I have been looking at are anywhere from 20 Mil to 60 mil depending on the use.

As to drilling mud, there is no guarantee it will work so that blanket statement is not true.

I have a neighbor that tried clay, bentonite, drilling mud and none of it worked. He spent a lot of $$ without success. He finally put a liner in and it holds water now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That’s my fear. Do a bunch of dozer work and it leaks still

Comment

I don’t think I’d risk it with livestock. I’ve seen guys slip and slide like a duck on ice when stepping on it in a water or reserve pit. It would be slicker than snot on a door knob.

Comment

6 mil is not nearly heavy enough to try to use as a pond liner. Most installed by commercial operators are 45 mil, and if live stock was going to walk on it, I would ensure it was covered by at least 2 feet of earth before filling the pond.

Comment

That’s my fear. Do a bunch of dozer work and it leaks still

There is no way six mill would work. You need real pond liner properly welded and installed. My cousin does it (or has done it) if you are interested I will send you his contact info.

Comment

Working...
                      X