Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people have cattle if its so unprofitable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    did you actually do that math?

Him being broke is still about 40,000 acres away, and even if he paid twice what it's worth, he's still worth about 500 million more than most of us.
    Not doubting his worth, but 25K an acre for farm land seems like bad business to me.

Comment

If people knew where the cattle market was headed all us ranchers could be wealthy. I've bought pairs for as high as 2500 and they now bring 1200. This was within the last 3 years are so. Good luck cattle ranchers.

Comment

All cattleman lie a bit... Or there would not be so many.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
          All cattleman lie a bit... Or there would not be so many.
          How many are left? You might want to look at stats. What are you calling cattle men? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            If people knew where the cattle market was headed all us ranchers could be wealthy. I've bought pairs for as high as 2500 and they now bring 1200. This was within the last 3 years are so. Good luck cattle ranchers.
            Yep. Before my boss passed away, he had us round up a bunch to sort for selling. Then after all that work was done he tells us to not sell.

So now, we just rounded up a large amount again to sell and they lost weight compared to the previous time. Ugggh!!!!

If my boss wasn’t making big bucks elsewhere, this cattle operation wouldn’t exist on such a large scale.

Comment

I’ve seen less men who own cattle and know exactly what to do, when to do it, and how to do it then most of the other people who own cows and don’t do squat with them. They just go grab one and run it to the sale when they want some gun money. All the while they have cows dying of starvation in August.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                Tax break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Yep. So they can buy $70,000 diesel trucks and write em off as “farm trucks”!

Comment

Beef magazine has a lot of great articles.

Comment

We’ve got 1000 head and took a loss this year, we make a living in the turf business. Probably start making money in cattle in a 2-3 more years.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                      You know you can't write of 70k unless you make 70k, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                        That's a low blow Buddy, we only do that in construction...

Comment

I was drug into it. We work 365 days a year. No Christmas, birthday, MLK Jr day... Easter... 365. 3am- 10pm minimum. Land paid for and equipment. And we take money out of savings to pay bills.

I make less per pound of milk today than we did in the early 80’s.... land then was $400 an acre and a new truck was $16k

I can’t imagine the day when my dad leaves this world, but when he does there will never be another head of livestock in my ownership. It’s not a living it’s a hardship. I won’t leave my dad hanging out to dry he’s done too much for me but there’s a reason the state prison system stopped farming... it’s cruel unprofitable punishment (most of our original herd came from the prison sell out)

Comment

I guess as long as the government keeps subsidizing cattle/chicken/pork/farming via tax write offs and such so that spoiled Americans can run out to any number of fast food restaurants and get a full meal for less than $10, people will keep raising animals and farming. And since I am a spoiled American, I am ok with it lol. But I can’t imagine doing it, there are much easier ways to make a living

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                              Only way to make money in cattle is in numbers. You have to run a bunch of loads a year of feeder steers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. It’s just like farming. It takes a few thousand or several thousand acres to make a living. The days of the small family farm/ranch were over decades ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Losing money on cattle is a flea on an elephants butt compared to losing money on racehorses. Never have taken a racehorse to the vet that it didn’t cost a Grand or so.

No, they aren’t mine.

You know the difference in a Racehorse Addict and a Meth Addict?

SOME Meth Addicts can be cured.............

Comment

Working...
                                X