2019 spring turkey with a bow..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 spring turkey with a bow..

Posted this in the campfire with write-up but figured I'd add it here to take part in the bowhunting video section...

Rated PG-13 for breeding content.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_iktM-Wu38"]2019 Tom Green opening day longbeard - YouTube[/ame]

Such a great video! It is common to see a decoy get attacked - usually a long beard on a jake - but I've never seen a gobbler actually mount a hen decoy. At least the last few seconds of his life were pleasurable!

Comment

Congrats Jason!

Comment

Thanks Jerp and Ted!

Comment

Are you sure about the PG-13 rating???
          Hell I had wood at the first gobble. But that's just me.
          Awesome bird and incredible video Jason!!

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Great job Smart.

I have a couple of questions...

I hunt SW of San Angelo in Schleicher Co. and have for years. Our turkey population was hit very hard from the drought years and it has been a slow recovery. Just not seeing many birds like we used to 8-10 years ago. How are the turkeys doing up where you hunt?

And I just bought a gopro and was wondering how well the do for turkey hunts? There isn't much of a zoom function so just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertz09 View Post
                Great job Smart.

I hunt SW of San Angelo in Schleicher Co. and have for years. Our turkey population was hit very hard from the drought years and it has been a slow recovery. Just not seeing many birds like we used to 8-10 years ago. How are the turkeys doing up where you hunt?

And I just bought a gopro and was wondering how well the do for turkey hunts? There isn't much of a zoom function so just wondering.

Our turkey population recovered well and exploded the last 3-4 years. This year was really weird though. I'm not sure if it was all the available fresh green growth or the other available foods but we did not have the big group of turkeys on camera this spring we usually have. Had a ton of hens all during deer season and that usually brings the Toms in from all over. We run corn feeders during the spring to keep the hens on the place for that very reason. But we just didn't have the birds we are used to having and the ones we did have acted weird from day one. We got a few to do what I wanted but as a whole the general consensus was we were hearing birds but they wanted nothing to do with calls or decoys. Because of the cold temps, we wrote the first two weekends off to them not having started yet real good but two weeks later it was still weak.

As for the action cameras...I don't use them for main filming because of the lack of zoom. They makes 10 yards shots look like 30. I use them for reverse angle footage only. I wouldn't want them as my main video camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertz09 View Post
                  Great job Smart.

I use gopros for turkey hunts, but I have learned not to depend on them anymore. I forgot my Sony two weeks ago, and failed to get any footage of a beheading on that Sunday, despite my Gopro remote indicating that the cameras were recording. As Smart said above, don't count on Gopros as your primary camera.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Our turkey population recovered well and exploded the last 3-4 years. This year was really weird though. I'm not sure if it was all the available fresh green growth or the other available foods but we did not have the big group of turkeys on camera this spring we usually have. Had a ton of hens all during deer season and that usually brings the Toms in from all over. We run corn feeders during the spring to keep the hens on the place for that very reason. But we just didn't have the birds we are used to having and the ones we did have acted weird from day one. We got a few to do what I wanted but as a whole the general consensus was we were hearing birds but they wanted nothing to do with calls or decoys. Because of the cold temps, we wrote the first two weekends off to them not having started yet real good but two weeks later it was still weak.

As for the action cameras...I don't use them for main filming because of the lack of zoom. They makes 10 yards shots look like 30. I use them for reverse angle footage only. I wouldn't want them as my main video camera.
                      Thanks!

I guide spring turkey hunts on 2 private ranches just south of George West. Because of great management the turkey population is great. We have not had a good hatch in several years so now we are hunting 3-4-5 year old birds.
                      Last week we had to change strategy and tactics and abandoned the decoys and only called very little. We hunted water, food source and travel corridors and did well. Seven for seven hunters.

My lease in Schleicher Co is a different story....slow recover.

Comment

last week

George West last week.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sweet nice job smart!

Comment

Outstanding Bro!!! And great footage!!!

Comment

Great video! Great shot!

Comment

Working...